shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Mum's wedding gifts and other family heirloom

Sparkle_ruckle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is my first time doing a SMTB, and I'm really shy about this. But because I have too many photos here and don't want to flood anyone else's entry, I thought I'll begin an independent entry instead. Thanks for looking!

So, the story goes that I share the same fascination as my mother for jewellery and that she probably played a major role in cultivating and encouraging such "expensive" (subjective! Since my jewels are nowhere as grand as some of the really gorgeous ones here on Pricescope! :lol:) tastes and hobbies when I was a kid. :lol: Since I was young, it was a customary sight for my mother to pull out her little boxes of jewellery periodically, clean them lovingly and "stock-take" for them. Despite her admonishment and anxiety (she was afraid I would drop and lose them!), I would scurry to her side and try to pick up her sparkly pieces for a closer examination. She always settled down with a resigned sigh and instead, told me engaging stories of how the jewels came to be in her possession. Some were gifts from my grandparents; some were bought with her meagre pay as a young working adult; and there were also pieces that she bought from her friends and siblings to help them cash in some money and tide through financial times. There were also stories of joy when new jewellery were acquired in celebration of a particular life milestone, and there were stories of heartbreak and resilience when complementary pieces were pawned to bail our family out of financial difficulty. Every piece was greatly treasured, no matter how humble-looking or lavious-looking they were.

As I grew older, I realized that she was also stocktaking and collecting pieces diligently in preparation for my wedding trousseau. The thought touched me immensely. Finally when I married last year, I was given 3 painstakingly-accumulated full sets of jewellery (earrings, necklace, bracelet/bangle and ring) - a diamond one, a pearl set and a yellow gold one, together with a couple of other incomplete sets of trinkets from her collection.

I'm particularly partial towards the detachable hoop diamond earrings I received and ended up wearing them for my wedding with a borrowed pair of halo studs from my mother (for more drama!). Now, years ago, it was the time before detachable earrings came into rage but my mother already had the brainchild to design a pair of detachable diamond dangles for my wedding. She slowly dismantled other gifts from my grandparents over the years in order to piece together a pair of heirloom diamond earrings. She also used some leftover Mikimoto pearls (after shortening my wedding pearl necklace) and made some dangly pearl drops for my everyday wear too. Although my mother isn't someone who keeps in touch with latest fashion, her idea was probably born out of her sensibilitities to get the most bang for the buck :lol: So here I am, with these beautiful earrings, thanks to her.

Fast forward a year later, I spotted some beautiful South Sea pearls at a local jewellery fair and snapped 2 pairs up at a good price - a white pair with blush and purplish sheen, and a peacock-coloured pair. They were inexpensive due to some minor surface blemishes but I thought they would be lovely with my mother's diamond hoops. Methinks they go well with diamond studs too for evening functions!

So without further ado, here are some photos of different combinations of my detachable earrings! There is also a photo of my pair of 8+carat tanzanites (total weight) that I bought a few years ago, and I am saving up funds to turn them into detachable diamond halo trillion drops too.

The diamond earrings, as my mother had designed it
img_0771_2a_.jpg

How I wore them at my wedding, with a borrowed pair of halo studs from my mother. Not very clear though because it is an enlarged photo.
img_9441_3a_.jpg

South sea pearl beside the small Mikimoto. It was difficult trying to capture the blush and purple hues of the pearls, and I don't think I've done a good job ops.
img_0776_1a_.jpg

The white South Sea pearls on their own, looking rather pale gold instead of the blush and purple white IRL. I guess it's good that their colours shift so interestingly though.
img_0778_1a_.jpg

One of my current favourites - peacock colour South Sea pearls. Horrendously hard to photograph too, but I hope I managed to make the purplish-greenish tone apparent here.
img_0782_1a_.jpg

And my tanzanite pair, 4+ carat each, width is approximately 12mm.
pair_of_trillion_tanzanites_-_morning_light__1a_.jpg
One of them shows a more distinctive shift to purple colour in different lighting and angles.
pair_of_trillion_tanzanites_-_direct_sunlight__3a_.jpg
4_61.jpg
4_63.jpg

Earshots for perspective. These are taken with a mobile phone though...apologies they are rather blurry and with poor lighting. I'm bad with selfies!

Paired with diamond hoops:
20150904_130415_1_.jpg
20150904_125128_1_.jpg
20150904_125524_1_.jpg

Paired with diamond studs:
20150904_130508_1_.jpg
20150904_130108_1_.jpg
20150904_125713_1_.jpg

Thanks for looking again!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Beginning here with Mum's wedding gifts -detachable earr

Hi and welcome to PS! I love your earrings and how creative your mom is and how she planned these jewels for you. Gorgeous earrings and they all look amazing on your lovely ears. :love:
Please post more pics. We love being flooded with bling pics. :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Quite a beautiful collection - welcome and thanks for sharing!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

My goodness, what a lovely, significant gift from your mother. I would love to see your complete collection! :love: :love: :love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They all look lovely! Just think of the variety of looks you can get with them!!!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

I love the history attached to your wedding gifts!

Gorgeous earrings! So many options! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for sharing your touching story.
Your earrings are so beautiful and versatile. I like!!!

Sparkle_ruckle

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Wow thank you for liking my humble jewels! I'm shocked and extremely honored to have my earrings featured up as the Jewel of the Week! My mother would be so so happy to know her gifts are admired :)

I'm not sure how to "reply" to a particular user so I'll put my collective reply here instead:

Thank you tyty333 & CRYSTAL24K! Yes I really LOVE how I can get so many different looks, just by playing around with the dangles or the studs. I'm obsessed with convertible jewellery and am looking out for more ideas. I may have the tanzanite earrings made as pendants too for a duo look :)

Thank you also, Missy, MissGotRocks, RubyBeth & Acinom, for the warm welcome! I'd love to show the rest of my wedding jewellery when I've got time to take some quality photos. Meanwhile, here are a few cherished pieces for starters!

This is a heirloom diamond pendant passed down from my grandmother to my mother, and given to me for my wedding last year. In fact, my mother wore this for HER own wedding 30++ years ago! The faceted bead white gold chain is an add-on from my mother to increase the glamour factor. You can't see it from here, but the facets of the chain actually mimic diamonds and twinkle with movement.

img_0798_1a_.jpg
img_0806_1a_.jpg
img_0805_1a_.jpg
img_0802_1a_.jpg
For perspective. Pardon the beige circle! Too shy to show my face :lol:
20150906_123856_2b_.jpg

This is a shared gift from my parents - a diamond necklace that I wore for my wedding, and an accompanying tennis bracelet.
img_0810_1a_.jpg
img_0813_1a_.jpg
Perspective shot:
1231.jpg

And here's a simple yellow gold necklace and bracelet from my gold wedding set. I haven't gotten round to wearing them at all because I don't normally wear yellow gold jewellery.
img_0814_1a_.jpg
20150906_125424_1b_.jpg

Thanks for looking again!

Sparkle_ruckle

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I was also wondering if I could still change the title of the post via the moderator's help? I'm so sorry to trouble you, but because the post has morphed into "Mum's wedding gifts and other family heirloom" instead of just earrings, so I was wondering if I could edit for a more appropriate title :lol: Many many thanks for the help and thank you again for the feature on Jewel of the Week !!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

wow, so gorgeous! I love them all, and they all look incredible on you. Such a great fit with your skin tone, and they are all great.

Awesome that you and your mom can share this love of jewelry :love: :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oooh! Your pendant and tennis bracelet :love: :love: :love:
Thanks for sharing your stunning pieces.

Please hit the 'report concern' button in the right top side of your message and ask the moderators to change the title for you into the revised title.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have a beautiful collection. Enjoy them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What lovely jewels you have! :love: The earrings are so versatile and give you so many different options! The diamond necklaces and bracelet are fabulous, too! I love that your mother loves jewelry and enjoys passing down pieces to you as I try to do the same for my daughters!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful collection! :love: It's nice how you have plenty of choices and everything is so versatile. Even better that you have such nice things from your family. It makes them even more special! :appl: Thanks for sharing. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results