shape
carat
color
clarity

Band found, but need further advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paulsiu

Rough_Rock
I went shopping with my girl friend again. After looking at a bunch of different settings, she decided that she like the Ritani the best (Thank God, the Movado she like earlier was just too expensive). Here''s a picture posted by someone else on the board:

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/npsprofring.jpg

The band comes in Platinum, 14K and 18K white gold. I look through the tutorials, but is unclear on which metal. First thing I like to check is if my gf is allergic to white gold. Is there a way to check? If she is, I have no choice but to pick Platinum. Is there such thing as Platinum allergies as well?

Ritani seems to be sold in two places in my area (Philadelphia): Robbins 8th & Walnut and Baileys and Biddles. I only visited Robbins and like the store. They had a good selection and the sales lady weren''t very high pressure. I haven''t been to a Baileys yet. What are your opinions of either store?

I guess my next step is to look for a stone. I have read through the tutorials, but is not clear on how to proceed. From what I can tell, I need a round stone, size .75 - 1 ct. She value quality over size, but I am not clear on what qualities she value. I suspect that the cut is probably the most important. Should I start looking at the stones the stores are offering? Should I buy the Idealscope thing first?

Am I better off buying the stone and setting separately and getting a jeweler to set the stone?

Paul

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I have not been to the Robbins on 8th and Walnut, but visited their store in Christiana, Delaware (tax free!
9.gif
) when we were looking for erings. I absolutely LOVED the store. Having tried to educate myself on here about what to look for in stones, when the sales lady (like you said, very no pressure) started talking about what we should look for, she was very on. Talked about cut being most important, that you could lower in color and clarity if your eyes werent sensitive, etc. Unfortunately we were there too close to closing and they wouldnt take any diamonds our for us to look at, but they had these little rooms that were all window to go sit in and see the stones and settings in natural light. She made us take the settings i had picked out into there to play with! Can you tell which store i am leaning towards?

DH ended up getting my stone and setting from Bailey, Banks and Biddle. The store is nice, i have never had problems with my stone or setting, but honestly, I find their customer service (at least at the store i go to here in VA) a little lacking. I was in there last weekend and was hassled for asking to have my rings inspected and cleaned. They refused to inspect my wedding band (which wasnt purchased from them) and I was yelled at for not having this stupid piece of paper saying i could have my ering inspected. I know they dont have to inspect my w-band, but come on... DH spent enough money that it would be a nice gesture since technically, they are my jeweler. They certainly werent trying to keep my patronage, and i have been considering trying to find another place...Im thinking Quest.
11.gif

As for what metal, its all a personal choice. What does your GF wear now? White gold being cheaper than platinum is something to think about too if you are on a budget.

As for where to purchase the stone, if i remember correctly (you can search this as its come up before) Ritani will only take stones that are already set in something (ring, necklace, etc), to set into their rings. I would definately check out what Robbins has first so you get an idea of what different sizes, color and clarity looks like and how low or high you are willing to go. Robbins also has an Isee2 machine to help you pick out well cut stones. It will make ordering online (if you go that route) easier.

Hope my long post helps!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Paulsiu,

Yes, there is such a thing as having "allergies to platinum."

My husband is allergic to platinum, platium has alloys in it, that he is allergic to. As a matter of fact, he is allergic to most metals, and alloys. We have to special order "Titanium plated" frames for his glasses.

I had to end up getting him a wedding band made from Titanium. So far, so good!

Does you darling wear any earrings? Does she complain that her ears get sore after wearing certain ones? How about rings? If she wears rings, does it leave a red or pink rash where the band was? If the answer is yes, before you drop some serious mooo-lah on a setting, she should make an appt. with an allergist, explain the situation, and that she would like to be tested for gold/platinum and any metal alloys. The doctor will know what to do and test her.

Friend at work last year told me how her friends darling husband went and upgraded her wedding set from White Gold to Platinum, increased center diamond to 2 cts, and setting had additional pave set diamonds tctw 1.5. Guess what? She loves the ring, not returnable since it was a custom job, and yes ... she is having an allergic reaction to it. Red rash with tiny little blisters when she has it on for more than a few hours! She is litterally sick!!!
39.gif

Good luck and best wishes to you.

35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Paul,
I sent you a PM.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add that we had a bad experience at BBB at the Tyson''s Corner, VA location. DH did not want to finance my e-ring, he wanted to pay cash, which meant our budget was $6K. They snickered at us when we told them that we wanted to stay around 1 ct. I remember the sales person rolling her eyes and saying that 1 ct. size is "nothing" these days and that I wouldn''t be "truely happy in the long run" unless DH (then FI) got me at least 1.50 ct or higher. We were SO disgusted we left and I''ve never stepped foot in there again. And FWIW, my e-ring is a 1.08 (bought from Blue Nile) and I love it still, 3 years later. I do suffer from "Diamond shrinkage" but that''s because of Price Scope, lol.

Carrie

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2006 9:32:55 PM
Author: february2003bride
Just wanted to add that we had a bad experience at BBB at the Tyson's Corner, VA location. DH did not want to finance my e-ring, he wanted to pay cash, which meant our budget was $6K. They snickered at us when we told them that we wanted to stay around 1 ct. I remember the sales person rolling her eyes and saying that 1 ct. size is 'nothing' these days and that I wouldn't be 'truely happy in the long run' unless DH (then FI) got me at least 1.50 ct or higher. We were SO disgusted we left and I've never stepped foot in there again. And FWIW, my e-ring is a 1.08 (bought from Blue Nile) and I love it still, 3 years later. I do suffer from 'Diamond shrinkage' but that's because of Price Scope, lol.

Carrie
HA! I love it... My issues are with the Tysons store too. DH told me that when he was ordering my ring (.75ct) that they kept trying to push him to ditch the Tacori setting and get a bigger stone in a plain setting... they gave the same speech about bigger meant being happy in the long run. DH looked at them and said that he would rather give me a smaller stone in the nice setting we both really liked to enjoy now and let me upgrade later if i wanted than go bigger and plain.

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
One of my profs in college was allergic to her platinum wedding band. She would fidget with it it class, and sometimes had to take it off. One day she left it on the chalk holder and forgot about it. Luckily I had stayed to study in the room and saw it on my way out
23.gif
After that she stopped wearing it so she wouldnt accidently take it off and lose it.

Along the lines of BBB, I think they''re uppity everywhere. I went to look at a Tacori setting and they sneered at me asking why I would "settle" for a half carat stone and buy such an expensive setting. My boyfriend asked why she would settle for having no soul and good hair
11.gif
We havent been back either.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results