shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC versus the Perry Sourced (Leon Mege) Chunky Cushion

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys. It's the battle you've all been waiting for....

:o Let's get ready to RrrrrrrrrUUuuuuuuMMmmmmmBbbbbbllllllllleeeee! :o

For a battle of this importance, first I'm gonna give you lots and lots of pictures with just a little bit of info. The ring holds a Perry sourced 1.01 E VS2 and the earring is a Good Old Gold AVC .42 J VS2. I tried to take pictures that would show the diamonds by different colors and show a little of the differences in their colors. Alas, today was overcast so no sunny fire pics.

Next post I'll post all the nitty gritty of their dimensions and such.
Then I'll tell about my buying experiences.
Then my preferences and why.

Feel free to go ahead and give any and all reactions. No need to be PC if you like one more than the others. I assure you, their feelings won't be hurt. I'm really curious as to your thoughts.

and now without further ado...

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Please let me know if there are other views or what not you'd like photos of.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well of course more pics would be great :) especially some more of them at the same orientation (I realize this is hard to do!)

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I predict you'll be asked to take more photos of the stones facing the same direction.

Fire and Ice

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE the ring! :love: That is almost exactly what I've had swirling around in my head. Oh, and a full eternity band with french cuts to match. :naughty:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would like to see both of the diamonds facing in the same direction and not necessarily beside each other. I think our opinions are swayed due to the different stone sizes.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both are lovely of course!

Even though it is smaller and not facing the camera in all the shots, my eye is drawn to the ACV. I like its slight warmth, the higher crown makes the face look more 3D to me, and the facet pattern appeals to my eye.

littlemissmango

Rough_Rock
My eye is also drawn to the AVC much more than the other. I do not care for the shape of the Perry cushion, it appears almost oval-like to me. I also really love the AVC's steeper/higher crown and table (it ups the "chunky" factor for me) and the facet pattern can't be beat IMO. When I very first was introduced to AVC's, even knowing absolutely nothing about them (or diamonds in general, lol) I felt like there was something truly unique and superior about them compared to other cushions, and after seeing Rhino's videos, I was convinced. I had initially hoped I could find something comparable in a local jewelry store, but I now know there just isn't anything like an AVC! I do like the stone in your (insanely gorgeous) Leon better than any other non-AVC cushion I have seen, though.

Team AVC all the way!! Haha :D

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Both are beautiful. My eye was immediately drawn to the AVC. I love the high crown and I'm guessing the color as well. Cool thread...it'll be interesting to hear what others think and of course your thoughts as well.

summerlove6

Rough_Rock
I LOVE the culet on the AVC. The chunky cushion seems a little more... refined? sophisticated? less fun? Maybe due to the warmer color of the AVC. Hard to say... I'd be so thrilled to have either, they are both gorgeous!!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys!!!! Thanks for the feedback. The sun came out and I tried to do a little better with the orientations. Here's some more. I'll leave my comments out for now and let the photos do the talking...

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1246_0.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous cushions! :love: :love:
The chocolates look yummy too! :cheeky:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
I would like to see both of the diamonds facing in the same direction and not necessarily beside each other. I think our opinions are swayed due to the different stone sizes.

Good idea Charmy. I'll do that tomorrow.

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I love them!!! So much!!!! I wish I had cushion earrings! You are sooooo lucky to have these beautiful diamonds ! I'm soo happy for you. I love your ring the most though, not just because of the diamond, but tee hee, it's a LEON. It just screams LM when you see it, prongs, milligrain, frenchcuts, the whole pkg! :love: :love: :love:

oh yeah, I'm supposed to compare the diamonds. hmmm have to think on this awhile, sorry, got carried away

personally I like a cushion that is more square, than elongated, for that I am drawn to the avc, something about it's table captures me. But it took a lot for me to come up with that. My first reaction is I can't choose!

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
great thread, missydebby :cheeky:
i think that both cushion cuts are absolutely gorgeous in their own right---i really don't have a strong preference for either just based on the pics--- they are all gorgeous! i know that pictures can be deceiving, especially online. for instance, i can like the faceting pattern of a diamond on my screen, and then see the cut in person and dislike it and vice versa. how does the fire/sparkle compare???

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
no, on 2nd thought, I'm liking the facets of the ring better. But, I'm not looking in person. Luv them all Debby

and p.s. stay out of jewelry stores for awhile so you can get back on track for another serious project LOL just kidding!!

Luv ya :love: :love: :love:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
oranges said:
great thread, missydebby :cheeky:
i think that both cushion cuts are absolutely gorgeous in their own right---i really don't have a strong preference for either just based on the pics--- they are all gorgeous! i know that pictures can be deceiving, especially online. for instance, i can like the faceting pattern of a diamond on my screen, and then see the cut in person and dislike it and vice versa. how does the fire/sparkle compare???

Great question. I'm gonna take some pictures apart tomorrow (if the sun is out) and try to give both a fair shot at winning the Fire prize, but thus far, the Leon cushion is (to my surprise) is waaaaaay out fire-ing the AVC. I mean, you can not turn this sucker off - in low light, by the computer, outside... it's just nuts. Outside today, I really tried to tilt them whichever way to get the AVC to fire off like the Leon cushion, but couldn't get it to even a close call. But 2 caveats: the Leon cushion is on my finger where I can see it all the time and thus notice it going off, whereas the AVCs are on my ear where I can't just see them kicking back the light. The other is that perhaps the way I held them together affected the AVC... so tomorrow I'll try to mitigate that.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
vbnet said:
no, on 2nd thought, I'm liking the facets of the ring better. But, I'm not looking in person. Luv them all Debby

and p.s. stay out of jewelry stores for awhile so you can get back on track for another serious project LOL just kidding!!

Luv ya :love: :love: :love:

hahahahahaha!

*standing military straight in a salute*

"Yes Ma'am, Vbnet Ma'am! Love you too, Ma'am!"

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
I'm finding a similar situation with mine Debby, with the multiple diamonds, it's difficult to photograph in the sun, I keep getting how did the song go? "blinded by the light" ... :naughty:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Missdebby,
thank you firstly for posting this comparison, I'm sure it will help folks in the future. :wavey:

My personal opinion based purely on your photos - the AVC is the clear winner.
To me, it has a more attractive faceting pattern, plus the larger open culet and the high crown are major advantages.
I am quite suprised at how low the table is on the LM cushion, to be considered antique style :?:

I'm also not sure what I'm seeing, if it is leakage? But in some photos of the LM cushion you can see the background through the facets, whereas the AVC appears to be reflecting more light back.

All of that said, your ring is gorgeous and you are very lucky to also have these earrings - clearly you have the best of both worlds!
I hope you enjoy them for a very long time ::)

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I like the Leon better - good mixture of large facets. I prefer if it were slightly more angular (rectangularish or square-ish) but that's a personal preference.

I also don't like the high crown on the AVC. It looks like I'm in the minority but I've seen them in person (and now in these pictures) and I find them distracting. The friend with me at GOG called the high crown, "gem stone-like".

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Debby the relative size difference and cleanliness difference between the two diamonds will account for a lot of the difference in performance you see. Larger facets = bigger bolder light return :))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much missdebby! Great cut and colour comparison there. I've decided a J is not for me.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh and just look at those Leon prongs! That's a great comparison too, and Leon wins hands down! Looking forward to the face on photos. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results