shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Demantoid Garnet Ring

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
I just bought this antique ring online and it will arrive tomorrow. This is the description:

An Art Nouveau Demantoid Flower Ring

The ring was made in Moscow between 1899 and 1908. It is designed as a stylized flower in Art Nouveau taste, set with

three Uralian green demantoid garnets and two rose-cut diamonds.

All three demantoids have bold "horse tail" inclusions which are typical for Russian demantoids from the Ural Mountains.

The largest demantoid is 5,5 x 4,5 x 3,4 mm, approximately 0.70 ct.

Width of the demantoid flower - 21 mm (7/8 in.)

I really love this ring, but how can I verify that it is 100% authentic? The seller seems to be reputable, the stones look great and real, but the work, labor? Where is the guarantee that it was made at the beginning of the 20-th century, not later or even these days? How in general this kind of verification can be done? If someone could do it 100 years ago, then having good stones why it is not possible to make a good replica let's say 30-50-90 years later? How to distinguish old labor from new labor? I am not trying to put shadow on my seller (he is a very nice person and I trust him), my question is rather generic and educational :geek:

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

__kgrhqv__rkfgvj_s5eybru6rsuybw__60_3.jpg

dsc07972.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I think you need to post this in the colored stones forum for more answers!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
You probably would get more info on the stones if you posted in CS but authenticating an antique piece you may get some info in here or in the Antique/Vintage subforum.

I don't know if there are other ways to authenticate a ring, but there are some thing I see about it that I know aren't generally done nowadays which could lean me towards thinking it may be older (exactly how old I couldn't say).

- The way the claws are holding the stones is something that was common back then and not done as often now. A jeweler I know who specializes in antique refurnishment told be that requires a complete retip of every prong when that type of claw setting is done. You can't just take out a stone and put a new one in because of the way the old claws are done.

- The rose cuts look like *real* antique rose cuts with the shimmer I like and possibly some blackening behind them I tend to see in actual antiques as opposed to the remakes that are sold now which I think look WAY too clean and perfect. The new ones just look like drops of water to me, whereas the actual antique have an earthy charm to them.

Someone who specializes in antique could probably give you some info.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Oh, many thanks! This forum is so helpful, the people are so nice, respectful and intelligent! My appreciation to all.
When I received the ring I found that there are tiny chips on the main stone, visible with the loupe. I got very upset because I expected it to be perfect, so I called the seller. He said that it is very normal for the antique stones to have some chips and scratches, otherwise you would suspect that the stones were replaced. I guess I will keep the ring.
Posting the picture of the ring on my hand.

dsc_0423.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks perfect on you! Yes, it is very normal for old stones to be chipped...if you can only see it when louped then I wouldnt
worry about it unless it might cause a structural problem. Its really lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results