shape
carat
color
clarity

A *forever* home for my vintage RB thanks to IDJ!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A really long painful story short....... I was supposed to inherit my parents e-rings and more than half of our family's heirlooms, but an estranged (and truly very strange and morally corrupt) relative, swooped in after a thirty year absence and stole everything that ever belonged to my family. So, with everything gone, I decided to try to find an old diamond that was cut in the early 50's that would resemble the time period when my parents got engaged. We came upon this 1.21 RB (someone we knew needed money). A quick look with my loupe (it's both eye clean and loupe clean) convinced me to take a chance. For what we paid, it was a very good deal. I later had the stone certed by GIA, and although Ideal cut standards didn't exist sixty years ago, it is a decent stone for that time. This stone is a J color, VS 2, "VG" cut grade, with a table you can skate across. It could never be my mom's one carat, bright white, high color stone with blue fluorescence, but I knew I could probably make something of it that would make me happy.

I allowed the stone to just sit until I decided what I really wanted to do with it. A year and a half ago, I contacted my good friends at I.D. Jewelry and asked them to order me a solitaire mounting from Unique Settings of NY and to make me a custom nine stone half eternity to wear with it. Yekutiel & Luann created a beautiful new "second wedding set" for me to celebrate my surviving a year and a half of treatment for a disease that almost killed me twice. So these became my "I narrowly survived the wrath of colon cancer" rings. I wore them with a smile until a short time ago when I decided that I definitely was NOT a solitaire girl, no matter how many different diamond bands I had to switch between. And this would *definitely* be my only lower color stone because I was really a true blue F/G (and I have a nice pair of Hs) girl at heart. So this was my set a while back. The good folks at IDJ did a great job for a very reasonable price.

i.jpg

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful and well-deserved set! I am sorry to hear about your corrupt relative stealing from your family, and glad that you beat cancer.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore that set in a variety of different ways, with four different diamond bands and a handful of different plain metal bands. This is just a sampling of some of the versions.......... You get the idea. I was still missing the oomph! factor.

img_2165.jpg

img_2150.jpg

img_533.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is so beautiful. Im glad you have a happy ending to such an awful story.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so it's early December and I decide I'm ready for a change. Besides, after being together for twenty years with my one in a million husband, I didn't have a clue in the world about what I wanted for Christmas! So I got busy looking at every picture I had saved of every ring I saw in the last five years (that I liked) and decided *not* to walk the custom road again, but instead, to find something that could be ordered from a nice, reputable design house. First I was so sure it would be a three stone.... and then some time later I said nah!!!!! my very dear friend Lady Marian would never ever forgive me if I didn't do a halo! And secretly, I was still hinny over tea kettle for my first three halos. So after looking through scads of mountings pages, I decided to ask my ID buddies for their best price on this "combo" setting of three stone AND halo from Gabriel & Co. Based on their info <<<winkywinkyLOVEthemSOmuch>>> I made a plan to visit their shop, drop off my solitaire, take a look at their new selection of earring jackets, and get myself in a whole heap of lovely trouble!

Another long story short...... This is my vintage J RB in it's *forever home*, compliments of Yekutiel, Luann and the team at ID. I'm not the best at taking pictures, so bear with me.

img_534.jpg

img_2384.jpg

img_2368.jpg

img_2394.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry for the size of some of those! Yikes!

Here's more.......

img_2395.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So then......... LOL! I brought my platinum set G VS2 studs with me, that never sat quite right in the round earring jackets I bought in Fortchy's years before. They always wobbled inside the jackets. With one quick look, Yekutiel's Dad said "those diamonds are set WAY too high! Leave them with us and our setter with recut the prongs and seat them properly". So I did. The prongs were shortened by about half (ahhhh!) but they looked perfect afterwards. Besides that, they sat perfectly in my old round earring jackets, as well as my new, made to match my new e-ring earring jackets.

My studs are .39 pts each and my jackets are for 5mm stones and are .74 pts. total weight. Cushiony heaven! Tell me what you guys think. Please excuse the fuzziness of the third pic. I took that one when I got home from Manhattan that day and was exhausted and a little shakey from all the excitement.

img_535.jpg

img_2400.jpg

img_2376.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
:love: :love: :love: I was too quick to respond!! Damn girl. I can haz??

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
:love: :love: :love: :love:

Gemgirl!!! that is a STUNNING reset!! Its gorgeous and so perfect for all your combinations!!! A perfect setting that looks AWESOME on you!
Fantastic 3 stone halo choice - the best of both worlds :bigsmile:

LOVING the stud/jackets!!! - you are one blinged up lady now!!

Ah! - great Christmas you had, huh??? :wink2:

(and HUGE congrats on beating colon cancer! May you remain cancer free forever!!)

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the last grouping for now. I have to take some more pics of the earring jackets sans studs, so everyone can see how beautifully they're made, and I haven't taken any pics of my reset old studs in my round earring jackets.

I'm not great at taking pictures of my own ears, but I did get a couple of decent shots when I got home that day. I have to make sure in the future to put each of the four prongs in the corners of the outside cushion. They look better that way.

img_2363.jpg

img_2364.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look awesome on your ears!!! Wonderful collection - thank you for sharing your jewels!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1359830515|3370592 said:
:love: :love: :love: I was too quick to respond!! Damn girl. I can haz??

You know I love you! :cheeky:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1359830909|3370600 said:
They look awesome on your ears!!! Wonderful collection - thank you for sharing your jewels!

LOL! Just wait until next month. It will be my birthday. And I happened to spy something absolutely lovely on Julia's neck (Yekutiel's Mom) when I was there in December and I thought.....hmmmm, I DO have a birthday around the corner. Hers was a 2 ct. circle pendant with a gallery that is unique to IDJ. The gallery is a beautiful scallop. So while Luann is up to her ears in paperwork, taking the orders and filling the envelopes with all of the stuff for my new e-ring and earring jackets, I ask to see Julia's pendant..... Ohbaby! Can I have one? I ask? Well, we do have the one in the window that's a one carat. Oh let me see, I say. I take a look and of course, the damned thing is gorgeous! So cha-ching! Let's start another envelope! AND...... you're going to laugh...... when I was there a few weeks ago picking all of this up, I ask to see my pendant. Beautiful. Yes. But isn't it really a LOT smaller than Julia's? Well yes, Luann says. Hers is twice as big. Oh nonono! Don't you have one in between, say.... a carat and a half? No, not in stock right now, but we *can* have it made for you. And so..... in a month or so, I will be picking up my 1.5 ct. circle pendant with the I.D. scalloped under gallery. :bigsmile:

And we're resetting my real wedding set later this year, as a combo fifteenth anniversary and Christmas gift. A whole HEAP of trouble!!!!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
gemgirl|1359831734|3370610 said:

LOL! Just wait until next month. It will be my birthday. And I happened to spy something absolutely lovely on Julia's neck (Yekutiel's Mom) when I was there in December and I thought.....hmmmm, I DO have a birthday around the corner. Hers was a 2 ct. circle pendant with a gallery that is unique to IDJ. The gallery is a beautiful scallop. So while Luann is up to her ears in paperwork, taking the orders and filling the envelopes with all of the stuff for my new e-ring and earring jackets, I ask to see Julia's pendant..... Ohbaby! Can I have one? I ask? Well, we do have the one in the window that's a one carat. Oh let me see, I say. I take a look and of course, the damned thing is gorgeous! So cha-ching! Let's start another envelope! AND...... you're going to laugh...... when I was there a few weeks ago picking all of this up, I ask to see my pendant. Beautiful. Yes. But isn't it really a LOT smaller than Julia's? Well yes, Luann says. Hers is twice as big. Oh nonono! Don't you have one in between, say.... a carat and a half? No, not in stock right now, but we *can* have it made for you. And so..... in a month or so, I will be picking up my 1.5 ct. circle pendant with the I.D. scalloped under gallery. :bigsmile:

And we're resetting my real wedding set later this year, as a combo fifteenth anniversary and Christmas gift. A whole HEAP of trouble!!!!!!
Holy cow!! That does sound like a fantastic year ahead!! I'm jealous!! Can't wait to see the new necklace!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to try on my new ring and earrings with my Bella too. I suspect they'll look very nice together. ;)) You know. In the meantime. LOL! In the first pic, that loose diamond is my 1.21 It was homeless at the time.

img_536.jpg

img_2020.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1359830526|3370593 said:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
:love: :love: :love: :love:

Gemgirl!!! that is a STUNNING reset!! Its gorgeous and so perfect for all your combinations!!! A perfect setting that looks AWESOME on you!
Fantastic 3 stone halo choice - the best of both worlds :bigsmile:

LOVING the stud/jackets!!! - you are one blinged up lady now!!

Ah! - great Christmas you had, huh??? :wink2:

(and HUGE congrats on beating colon cancer! May you remain cancer free forever!!)

Not to ruin the momentum of this fun thread, but out of a deep and abiding respect for what our dear Mariposa went through before we lost her, I have to be very clear about my particular case. I had an extremely aggressive case of pre-cancerous polyposis that had eaten it's way through most of my colon from end to end (in length) and nearly completely through the lining to the outside surface. While I had no chance of surviving without having my colon removed, I did not technically have colon cancer yet. In the hospital I was lumped in with the CC patients, in the support groups I am lumped in with the CC patients, I am followed up like a CC patient, but I was lucky enough to beat it to the punch, so to speak. I don't ever want to take anything away from those who did receive a cancer diagnosis. I have carried the thought of our dear Mariposa with me throughout my journey and I still cry when remembering her posts.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, I have to say more! What a difference the new ring setting makes. We just has a discussion over in CS where someone was wanting a halo with side diamonds and the general reaction, was "huh?' and "overkill," etc. But your setting is stunning. The proportions are perfect so that the beautiful side diamonds are accents that serve to lengthen the ring across the finger. Don't get me wrong, they are big enough to be super blingage, but they also don't compete with that Gorgeous Halo (had to capitalize it because its so darn beautiful!). On so many levels, you so deserve that ring. And I know its none of my business, but I'm still back on that relative :evil: :(( How can family do that?!! I'm so, so sorry and stunned. I actually thought you were going to say that you had a break-in and everything was stolen. I thought that was the worst news you could deliver to us in your story, but it was even worse than I thought. I can't imagine a family member doing that and that is so much worse than anything I could've imagined. :blackeye: :(sad ;( How dare they? Some time soon, they will be eating a Karma sandwhich and I can guarantee it will not taste good. :nono:

From one cancer survivor to another, congratulations!! You must be a pretty powerful woman. :appl:

Now more about the bling. I can't believe your haul! I love how the jackets match the ring! The earrings look great on you. The ring looks great on you, the pendant rocks my world and will look great on you...are you sensing any redundancy here?!! Anyway, congratulations - you deserve every bit of bling you have and it sounds like you and your DH are both very lucky to have each other!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemgirl - WOW! You've put together a spectacular collection - congratulations! Love, love, love your new ring and pendant! And I think those jackets would fit my earrings perfectly... :naughty:

And congratulations on beating the cancer, or pre-cancer, or whatever it was. :appl: Colon cancer hits very close to home for me (mother and a friend, both of whom are doing well)... I know how frightening the diagnosis is and how difficult the treatment can be.

And finally, congratulations to you for finding a way to get past the saga of your parents' estate. :appl:

Enjoy your beautiful new pieces in good health!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemgirl! Aw, hugs to you. Your reset is absolutely beautiful, I love it! A special ring for a special lady. I liked it as a solitaire too, but this is PERFECT! Love your jackets and Bella too!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1359834553|3370637 said:
Nah, I have to say more! What a difference the new ring setting makes. We just has a discussion over in CS where someone was wanting a halo with side diamonds and the general reaction, was "huh?' and "overkill," etc. But your setting is stunning. The proportions are perfect so that the beautiful side diamonds are accents that serve to lengthen the ring across the finger. Don't get me wrong, they are big enough to be super blingage, but they also don't compete with that Gorgeous Halo (had to capitalize it because its so darn beautiful!). On so many levels, you so deserve that ring. And I know its none of my business, but I'm still back on that relative :evil: :(( How can family do that?!! I'm so, so sorry and stunned. I actually thought you were going to say that you had a break-in and everything was stolen. I thought that was the worst news you could deliver to us in your story, but it was even worse than I thought. I can't imagine a family member doing that and that is so much worse than anything I could've imagined. :blackeye: :(sad ;( How dare they? Some time soon, they will be eating a Karma sandwhich and I can guarantee it will not taste good. :nono:

From one cancer survivor to another, congratulations!! You must be a pretty powerful woman. :appl:

Now more about the bling. I can't believe your haul! I love how the jackets match the ring! The earrings look great on you. The ring looks great on you, the pendant rocks my world and will look great on you...are you sensing any redundancy here?!! Anyway, congratulations - you deserve every bit of bling you have and it sounds like you and your DH are both very lucky to have each other!

Thank you sweet lady! I have to believe that God and Karma will make all things right, and I need not fret about my loss anymore. I did for a time, but then when I realize how valuable our time is here on earth, I put it in His very able hands.

My husband *is* great and was especially great when I needed him most. I can't possibly get angry with the man over anything any more! When I remember that I couldn't breathe and walk at the same time after having two huge surgeries in five days, and then having my heart weakened so much that I couldn't walk to get myself from the car to the house when we got home from the hospital, and how he carried me up the stairs like I was a feather..... I am an extremely lucky woman. So he fishes competitively and I have my bling!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1359835171|3370646 said:
Gemgirl - WOW! You've put together a spectacular collection - congratulations! Love, love, love your new ring and pendant! And I think those jackets would fit my earrings perfectly... :naughty:

And congratulations on beating the cancer, or pre-cancer, or whatever it was. :appl: Colon cancer hits very close to home for me (mother and a friend, both of whom are doing well)... I know how frightening the diagnosis is and how difficult the treatment can be.

And finally, congratulations to you for finding a way to get past the saga of your parents' estate. :appl:

Enjoy your beautiful new pieces in good health!

Thank you VR! and how have you been honey? I know I've been missing in action for a while. I guess I've been hanging out more in the smaller, quieter neighborhood of FB and the tiny off-shoot groups that have formed there. Pricescope, by comparison, is like rush hour in Manhattan!

LOL, I really am laughing a bit here. I've been collecting for 20/25 yrs. I'm not a hoarder but I never sell anything. I'm just a lover and a collector, so I have quite a bit :devil: , and it's interesting how our jewelry marks time. I have a whole assortment of things set in yellow gold that are channel set that mark the 90's. Then there's my vintage/antique period. More than ten years of that and I'm not over it yet! It's just all lovely and interesting to me.

I'm sorry about your Mom and your friend's diagnosis. May they continue to do well.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1359835718|3370652 said:
Gemgirl! Aw, hugs to you. Your reset is absolutely beautiful, I love it! A special ring for a special lady. I liked it as a solitaire too, but this is PERFECT! Love your jackets and Bella too!

Hugs to you too and thank you sweetie!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring and earring set!! Oh and the necklace too!!! What a great ending to your continuing story...the set goes together SO perfectly and I love the faceting on your ring. Wear everything in good health!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1359831998|3370612 said:
gemgirl|1359831734|3370610 said:

Holy cow!! That does sound like a fantastic year ahead!! I'm jealous!! Can't wait to see the new necklace!
Criminy, you're keeping them in business!!!

But I'd say it's well worth it. You've had a hell of a year.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you got me out of lurking mode! All your pieces are stunning! I pray that you wear them in a great health! YOu so deserve it! Take that you stupid cancer!!!!!!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
May I first say that you are such a trooper. Big hugs and prayers your way. I have always loved that gem in your avatar and now your blingy new 3 stone!! IDJ really did do a fantastic job with all your new bling! Congrats on every level :appl: :appl: :appl:

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
I love you solitaire and diamond band set (one of my favorites!), but I have to say, your new ring suits you even better! :appl:

(I'm sorry about the stealing of your mom's jewelry, some people have no morals! :angryfire: )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results