shape
carat
color
clarity

1st Custom Project for My ER with Mark @ERD! - Long

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Hello PSers! I was shy about posting my custom ring journey here, but I thought it would be a crime not sharing with the forum I lurked on for so many years, soaking up so much valuable info. So, here I am!

First, I will say that even finding and choosing a setting design was a looong journey in itself. I posted about it in other threads, & because I’m lazy :lol: , will re-post some of it here:

I had to retreat and think about what I wanted in my e-ring:
- Timeless and to want to wear it forever. Didn't want to follow any specific trend or popular design, but still wanted something different.
- Low maintenance, so no pave. US-safe -- I've just always wanted to use one ever since they were popular here yrs ago lol
- Double-claw prongs
- Basket
- Platinum
- Finger coverage/presence - also to hide any patina I may end up disliking, since I’ve never had a plt ring before.

I had NO clue what ring would fit what I wanted. I wanted finger 'coverage', but if I didn't want a halo, pave, or 3-stone, how could I get that?

So, I went on an aimless hunt ALL OVER the web. I decided to look at every PS vendor's site, B&M jewelers’ sites, little known custom jewelry designers, all the major SMTB threads, pages and pages of Google images, etc. I was just hoping that one day, it would just POP out at me. I had little faith it would, though, and figured I'd just settle on the twist rope solitaire and re-set later in life, since it was so cheap. Then I wouldn't feel as guilty.

But then ONE DAY.....
I found THE ONE!

....I stumbled upon one of the many antique/estate jewelry sites I had seen in the past, and started clicking through every ring, looking for inspiration for my e-ring. An idea….anything!
And then, I found THE ONE! I couldn't believe it, but there it was! I fit EVERYTHING was looking for in a ring. I already had a stone, so I knew I would have to get it made. No PS vendor had a similar design. I was nervous about going custom, and wanted to really avoid it, but this was it! The ring I was destined to have!

Now, it was time for custom process. So, I asked for quotes from many PS vendors, and prices were all over the place. I was surprised and disappointed with some. I was initially going to go with Whiteflash. Victoria at WF is AMAZING!!! I totally felt 100% comfortable with her, and she is meticulous and cares just as much about the ring process as you do. I definitely plan on doing other projects with her!
But, I looked at Mark's antique-inspired work on his website and went with him.
So, Mark @ ERD is doing my ring! Next post for PS vendor review & some PICS!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I keep desperately returning for pics! I can't wait to see what you've come up with!!

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Anxious to read the rest of the story and see pics!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, it took so long, the pics were taking forever to upload. Now, on with it...

Although the ring looked PERFECT to me, I knew I wanted to incorporate all the things I wanted in a ER (mentioned above) after drooling over rings here:
1. The original ring was set low. And hearing from other PSers with low set rings who later realized they preferred a ring set a little higher, I asked for the cutlet to be set at ~2mm above the finger
2. Open Basket
3. Sharp double claws

And, while I wanted a very clean and openly designed profile, I still wanted some “curviness” or femininity added, so I asked for a teeny tiny curvy V-shaped cut-out where the shank begins.

Let me tell you, Mark (and his team) & I worked very HARD on this design. Unbeknownst to me, changing the height of the ring, would change its dynamics and structural forces. Not knowing this (since I’m no experienced jeweler), I insisted on lowering the marquise sidestones to make them look more similar to the original, while keeping the new raised height of the stone. I admit becoming frustrated when it was never done. Thankfully, Mark, with his invaluable expertise & years of experience fully explained to me that the new height of the ring, coupled with the new open basket, did not allow for a structurally sound ring with the changes I wanted, which is why his team avoided it. It enlightened me, & I appreciated that and finally approved the CADs :love: :

CAD1_0.jpg
CAD2_0.jpg
CAD3_1.jpg
CAD4_0.jpg

To make me feel more at ease about the ring design, Mark even offered to EXPRESS mail the wax/plastic molds to me so I could physically see why he was concerned with the changes I requested. He knew his shop would be closing in a few weeks for the yearly break, and wanted me to have my ring before then. I really appreciated that and spoke volumes of the way he valued my happiness. I didn’t want him to go through the hassle, so I requested just the pics. Here they are!

Mold%201.jpg
Mold%202.jpg
Mold%203.jpg
Mold%204.jpg

So, even though the ring won’t look exactly like the original, I LOVE :love: it and can’t WAIT for it to be completed! I am so excited!!! :appl: I'm so glad I listened to Mark!!

And, of course, stay tuned for pics of the real thing in a few weeks! I just couldn't hold my excitement & wanted to share with you all!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS. Hope it becomes part of the standard catalog Twinkle! I think it's just so timeless and elegant. Can't wait for handshots!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that is Stunning :love: :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, I love it! What a beautiful design.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1339209698|3212283 said:
GORGEOUS. Hope it becomes part of the standard catalog Twinkle! I think it's just so timeless and elegant. Can't wait for handshots!

Thank you, Gypsy!! That means a lot!

@Skippy, @Laila619, @junebug17 Thank you!!

I was nervous that because it wasn't a commonly seen design, others wouldn't like it as much. But, this design spoke to me every time I looked at it. Makes me kind of glad it took me over a year to figure it out. LOL Like, it was really meant for me all along. Just waiting to be discovered. lol

Why do I sound like I'm talking about finding a husband. :lol:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Just WOW!! :love: You did an amazing job selecting the perfect setting for you diamond! It's fantastic! I can't wait to see handshots. You must just be in heaven! I wouldn't sleep a wink until I got that pretty on my hand!! Congratulations, it's wonderful!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Just WOW!! :love: You did an amazing job selecting the perfect setting for you diamond! It's fantastic! I can't wait to see handshots. You must just be in heaven! I wouldn't sleep a wink until I got that pretty on my hand!! Congratulations, it's wonderful!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
This is truly amazing!! It looks beautiful and perfect! I remember you posting the inspiration you drew from but yours is both very structurally sound and extremely elegant. I hope it is in your hands soon!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it becomes a standard too. It's so beautiful!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a pretty design--it reminds me of a rose w/ petals!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful, can't wait to see the finished piece!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome design, Caprine Sun! I love the 'leaf/petal' detail with the 3 side diamonds - that makes it! And the height so you can see the diamond culet is perfect! Simply amazing design - congratulations to you and MARK for the incredible collaboration to create this. Sounds like taking your time, helped you to get exactly what you wanted!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep coming back to this. I just adore it. The proportions are just perfect too. If I had seen this setting when I was first ring shopping I might have actually ended up with a round. Shocking! But it's THAT pretty to me.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Nice! How come I didn't get a wax mold with my setting from ERD? :(sad

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1339468911|3214281 said:
Awesome design, Caprine Sun! I love the 'leaf/petal' detail with the 3 side diamonds - that makes it! And the height so you can see the diamond culet is perfect! Simply amazing design - congratulations to you and MARK for the incredible collaboration to create this. Sounds like taking your time, helped you to get exactly what you wanted!

Sorry seeing these posts so late, have been MIA for a bit. Life has been hectic!

Thank you, Enerchi! MARK has been doing some Amazing work hasn't he? He and his team are great! Yes, it took quite some time, but it was all worth it!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1339477546|3214370 said:
I keep coming back to this. I just adore it. The proportions are just perfect too. If I had seen this setting when I was first ring shopping I might have actually ended up with a round. Shocking! But it's THAT pretty to me.

Thank you, Gypsy!! I am literally speechless by your comment. I don't even know what to say! :oops:

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
TitanCi|1339478564|3214377 said:
Nice! How come I didn't get a wax mold with my setting from ERD? :(sad

Hey Titan, I didn't get one. The only reason Mark offered was because of a miscommunication. There seems to have been a lost email of Mark letting me know the ring was being started. Since I never received the email, he went ahead. When I discovered this, I was nervous since I didn't feel like the last rendering was officially 'approved.' Couple this with my concerns about the height and proportions mentioned above, Mark halted production and offered to send me the wax. I had only requested pics of it.

This was a special case and goes to show how far Mark will go to put his customers at ease!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!! Very well done! I will look forward to pics of the completed piece.

Anne

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm finger tapping in impatience over here! Is this ring done, are there pictures? Where is my hand shot! Inquiring and impatient over here!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
ooh! I'm sorry! I was waiting for a response from PS. I emailed them to see if this thread can be switched to SMTB so I could post a sneak peek instead of starting over with a whole new thread.

Bad News: No proposal yet! :knockout: So, can't post handshots yet.

Good News: Mark overnight mailed the ring to me as soon as it was done. My SO allowed me to view it ONE time and even let me try it on after begging before locking it up in the safe at the bank! LOL. :nono: IRL it is GORGEOUS! More beautiful than I imagined. Even the stone! :love:
The ring is soooo delicate. And, the claw prongs are to die for!! I mean OMG!

Mark took a few pro pics, but I am now seeing them. He wanted me to see the ring as a surprise in real life first before sending the pics. I will post them now.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so beautiful, Caprine!! :love: :love: :love: Modern take on a period piece.. Oh I love it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks fabulous. Okay.. bump this thread for us, when you get handshots. Then post a new thread in SMTB. I can't wait and it's not even MINE. I love it though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results