shape
carat
color
clarity

YG or WG for my purple sapphire halo for Bella setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input on my new setting.

previous thread

Wink e-mailed me to tell me that he''s on the hunt for purple sapphire melee for the setting!!

I decided to go with beadset melee instead of the custom cut halo, because I like the look of the Bella style setting, and Wink said it would be less expensive, too -- always a plus.

But I have a few questions for all of you:

I''d like the purple melee set in yellow gold, which means the double prongs and halo will be in YG. I think this will look great with my M color stone.

1) I really like the look of mixed metals, YG and unplated WG, so would it look weird to have the shank in white gold with the gallery in mixed WG and YG?
(I''m going with the super-simple gallery designs that Gypsy suggested on my previous post).

2) What about the little side detailing on the side? Should it be set with diamonds or purple sapphires and should the metal be WG or YG?

I love shopping for diamonds, but have a hard time visualizing how the setting will look -- so your experienced eyes (and good taste) are invaluable to me.
Thanks!

I''m posting pictures of the Bella and a few photos of the simple gallery designs I''m considering.

Here''s the Bella from Wink''s Signature Collection:

BelhalAA.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the very elegant gallery from a Leon that Gypsy found for me:

GalD.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
The Gallery of the Vatche Alexa, which is similar. I like the tiny bit of additional wire work in the gallery, but the gallery of the Bella is rounded, not angled.

GalC.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Here are two examples of plain wire work galleries:
The first is Lady Amethyst''s beautiful ring (thanks for the link to this tread, Gypsy!)

GALFA.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Whoops, my bad -- wrong photo -- here''s the gallery view.

AMPR1.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Finally, here''s a lovely plain gallery on a Vatche style:

GalA.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I decided to go with beadset melee instead of the custom cut halo, because I like the look of the Bella style setting, and Wink said it would be less expensive, too -- always a plus.

But I have a few questions for all of you:

I'd like the purple melee set in yellow gold, which means the double prongs and halo will be in YG. I think this will look great with my M color stone.

1) I really like the look of mixed metals, YG and unplated WG, so would it look weird to have the shank in white gold with the gallery in mixed WG and YG? No, it would not look weird. I like the mixed golds also (especially on a vintage looking
ring).
(I'm going with the super-simple gallery designs that Gypsy suggested on my previous post).

2) What about the little side detailing on the side? Should it be set with diamonds or purple sapphires and should the metal be WG or YG? I thing you should put diamonds on the side. I think I would keep them in YG since you are doing the

top in YG...unless you really want to emphasize the mixed golds then I would do them in Wg. I dont have a strong
feeling either way (in other words, I think either would look nice).

This ring is going to be cool! Cant wait to see how it turns out!
EDIT - another thing I was thinking that if you do those side diamonds (if you decide on diamonds) in
WG - I would try to find diamonds close to the color of your stone. If you do those side areas
in YG - I would do them in whiter diamonds. I think think these combinations would add more
interest (not that you need that
3.gif
)!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, tyty -- I am so excited about this setting. I love your suggestions about using whiter diamonds for the sides -- yummy!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Sara! :)

Here is what I think would look nice in terms of mixed metal. I am terrible when it comes to do free hand photoshop lol. I hope this diagram makes a little sense:

1 - PRONGS: Yellow gold - claw prongs please
9.gif

2 - Shoulders: Yellow gold

3 - Gallery: Yellow gold ( I am not sure what you have decided on? )

4 - Halo: Yellow Gold

5 - instead of leaving it plain, perhaps engraving to reflect the gallery motif :)

belhalnumber.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi Amethyste
35.gif

Thanks so much -- your photos and instructions are going to Wink! I loved all your suggestions (esp. the engraving,
3.gif
). I think your suggestions will work especially well with the whiter diamonds tyty suggestions.

Wow -- this is finally coming together -- I likey, I likey!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I''m getting confused
33.gif
Will the halo be purple sapphire and the side stones be white diamonds? We need to find someone with mad photoshop skillz
2.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Risingsun
35.gif

I still have questions about the side detail -- the little marquise-like shape, not sure what to call it -- as to whether it should be YG or WG and set with diamonds or purple sapphires.

I''ll decide on the gallery last, after I decide on the other elements. The photos I posted are my favorites out of the many, many I''ve looked at (just for future reference, the Lang Antiques website has the best gallery shots for those of us with poor imaginations!).

I, too, have a very hard time visualizing these details, especially on something as small as a diamond ring.

I have asked hubby to photo-shop the gallery out of the ring; I''ll also ask him to change the color of the halo stones and add the YG detail.

Can I just say, you all are such a great support system for me (okay, some would say enablers!). Last night at dinner, I tried to get my two sisters and my brother (and various in-laws) interested in my project -- they looked at me with blank stares! They were more interested in discussing my brother''s fancy new bike and the latest in sweat-absorbing polyester! I mean, really, wouldn''t diamonds make for more interesting dinner conversation? I thought so!
9.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I found some more photos of the Bella (don''t know how I missed these before)

Here''s a side view. I''m still unsure about what color stones to put in the marquise-shaped sides.

BelhalBB.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the under-gallery - love this
18.gif
-- no changes needed here!

BelhalC.jpeg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 8:53:37 AM
Author: sarap333
I found some more photos of the Bella (don''t know how I missed these before)

Here''s a side view. I''m still unsure about what color stones to put in the marquise-shaped sides.
There are 3 little stones.... the one in the middle a purple sapphire and the 2 on each side colorless. :)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Amethyste, I can see the three little stones in the picture I posted this morning. In the other photo of the Bella, I couldn''t really see what was in the marquise-shaped sides!

Anyway, I think I''ve made all my setting decisions
36.gif
36.gif

Hubby is supposed to photo-shop the changes for me. And then my M is off to Wink, after I get the go ahead from him, and I''ll wait..I hate waiting...

Thanks for your help and suggestions, everyone!!

I''ll be back with photos of the finished ring, I promise.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Sara - in my opinion, if you are making the shoulder yellow gold, I would leave the little marquise shaped shoulder in white gold and play the color with the purples sapphire and the colorless diamonds :)

It''s going to be a pretty ring!!!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 12:52:52 PM
Author: Amethyste
Sara - in my opinion, if you are making the shoulder yellow gold, I would leave the little marquise shaped shoulder in white gold and play the color with the purples sapphire and the colorless diamonds :)

It''s going to be a pretty ring!!!!
I agree with Amethyste. I wouldn''t make a final decision, however, until you can see the whole design photoshopped.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results