shape
carat
color
clarity

Yearly Add a Diamond Jewelry

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Looking for an idea for a piece of jewelry I can buy a stone for every year of our marriage...any ideas?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Eternity band. If you buy only one stone a year, it will take many years before you can have one made. If that's not your intention, how about a pendant? Start with one diamond then slowly add to 3 - 5.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Hum that's a hard one. I would consider a line bracelet. http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/40-1-4657

You can start with a bracelet that that has one single diamond in the center and floral or other decorative links that could later be removed to form their own bracelet with the new additional link. I wouldn't want you to "waste" anything. You could also start a diamonds by the yard necklace but I am not sure how easy that would be to add to every year.

I love the idea. I wish you were friends with my significant other. I would love to receive a diamond every year.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charm bracelets, with custom-made charms, like the one with crosses owned by the Duchess of Windsor.

DK :))

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
My husband started a charm bracelet for me. He plans on getting a charm for special occasions. And I am loving the gift.... can't wait to add more baubles.

Edit: Guess hubby has the same idea as the Duchess.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
or do you like bezel band? you could basically have this all Solid first and add the diamonds to each bezel area until it fills it up? though depending on your finger size, and the size of the diamonds you are interested in maybe 2 pointers has a max years.. maybe 30-35 "bezel" bubble area to work with?

though at the end of it all, could add up to a very expensive piece vs having all the diamond in place and done all at once..hmmm

Like something like this in full could cost maybe $1200 more or less depending on metal and size of melee...

But say if you had 30 "bubble gold" area and say the cost to set each stone each over the course of 30 years and the minor cost of the melee diamond was $90... that could be well over $2700 over the course of 30 years. :confused: just a thought

bezeleternity_band.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was thinking if you add a diamond every year, then you will have to pay for diamond, setting/metal and labour to set it. The cost of setting will add up over the years. Then an idea came to me where you can save on the setting/metal cost yearly. Start with a tennis bracelet with prongs, one diamond and all citrine/peridot/any color that you like. As you add a diamond (prong set is good in this case for easy popping in and out stones), you remove a gemstone, keeping the gemstone in case of any of those remaining in bracelet breaking. This saves on the yearly metal cost but you will have to pay upfront for the gems, but the gems I listed are cheap in small sizes. Maybe their cost is only equivalent to to 2 yearly metal/setting cost. Can't wait to see what you get.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends. Is it something you want her to be able to wear right away and add to, like a charm bracelet?

Or is it something you want to save up, then set when you hit a certain point?

If its the former, then something like a DBTY is the best way to go. You can start with just the chain and the single diamond this year. Then add a diamond every year for however long you want.

If it's the later, a band is nice. You can buy one stone a year till you hit 5 or 7. Then you can have it made into a band. Then you can buy more stones, until you hit an eternity band, and then have it all set into one eternity band at that time.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for a diamonds by the yard necklace. From a esthetic perspective you probably don't want an even number of stones, at least not initially, so you might need to save the even-numbered year diamonds and add them to the necklace in the following year. One nice thing about a DBTY necklace is that it gives you a lot of options - i.e., you could space the stone further apart initially and then more densely as the years progress. It can also be almost infinitely long, so it you can continue the same tradition even to your 50th anniversary. Also, any jeweler can add each year's diamond for you so you wouldn't have to incur shipping costs each year. And when it comes time to pass this heirloom on to the next generation, it would be easy to divide it into two or more meaningful segments.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1418870851|3803358 said:
I'd go for a diamonds by the yard necklace. From a esthetic perspective you probably don't want an even number of stones, at least not initially, so you might need to save the even-numbered year diamonds and add them to the necklace in the following year. One nice thing about a DBTY necklace is that it gives you a lot of options - i.e., you could space the stone further apart initially and then more densely as the years progress. It can also be almost infinitely long, so it you can continue the same tradition even to your 50th anniversary. Also, any jeweler can add each year's diamond for you so you wouldn't have to incur shipping costs each year. And when it comes time to pass this heirloom on to the next generation, it would be easy to divide it into two or more meaningful segments.

100% this.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
i like this -- also if you wanted you could use different color metal bezels to denote big anniversaries, or even use stones other than diamonds to do so. if you keep the stations small it will be very subtle but still meaningful to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results