shape
carat
color
clarity

would we be better off with a custom made ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
I'm in love (for the moment) with:

http://www.greggruthbridal.com/rings/start.php?style=B705

Gregg Ruth pave setting, with halo (boxster setting???) So very very beautiful.
$4500 at the jeweler.

With a certified (I forget...AGL? that sounds right) 1.14c, F, SI1

total: $9000 (I think he came down on the price of the setting with that quote)

ugh...I just know that's too much.

I don't want to make my sweetie feel like a chump by showing him this ring...It wouldn't be right.

I asked the jeweler to show me a similar stone but under a carat.

He presented me with a .70 "ideal cut" (with certification)....it took my breath away although it was small

In that same gorgeous setting...

$7000.

I would really appreciate your feedback.

I want to be really prepared for when we do go shopping together.

I want to make this a good experience for him to. I know the sticker shock will nearly kill him. I want to get what I want without sounding like a spoiled child and without making him feel inadequate.

I wish we were rich! But really, we are. We laugh everyday. What more could I want, other than a gregg ruth diamond ring?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hearts;

The link you have listed does not produce much of anything for me. Yes I am on their website, but no picture.

Thus I don''t have a clue what you are looking at.

In general, if you really like one designers ring - by all means get it.

I personally would ask to buy the ring and have control over the diamonds and/or other gemstones put in it so that I would truely have a phenominal looking ring.

I have no idea how good the diamonds are in the rings listed on the site.

Take your time and check out the tutorial, and hang arround here, for more information on the tradeoffs and why quality of cut (which is not in the traditional 4 C''s) is so very important.

Perry

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Gregg Ruth makes absolutely beautiful stuff...but $4500 is a lot to spend on the setting alone- especially when you are on a budget.

You SHOULD defintely decide what kind of setting you want first, then spend the remainder of what is left of your budget on the center stone...

Since you do want a more ornate setting, I think gettting it custom made might be a better choice. Read about some pricescopers'' experiences with having their settings custom made, and you will see that many of them claimed that they saved a lot going that route. Why dont you take some of your ideas to a designer and see what they could do, along with getting some pricing information?

Good luck!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Could you please post a picture of the ring? The link doesnt lead anywhere relevent. Thanks.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
That link didn''t work for me either.

Have you two discussed a budget? A lot of their settings looked like they were pretty elaborate. If you''re worried about price, it doesnt necissarily mean that a custom would be cheaper. Might be easier just to get the one you already know you like. Or maybe buy the stone you like and have it in a simple setting until you can afford the setting you''d like?

Good luck
1.gif

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
mmm...you''re right. The link was no good. I tried to cut and paste...no luck.

I attached this file...hope it works.

Thanks so much.

I agree...I choked at a $4500. setting

Please forgive me, Perry. I was not clear.

The diamonds were presented to me at the jeweler.

I''m trying to gauge what is a fair price.

I will become quite a fixture around here I''m sure.

Thanks so much for response and warm welcome!

280_large.jpg

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
blue...

Our plans are very new. I don''t want to bombard him with ring talk.

We have recently talked $$ a bit but not in huge detail.

I''m thinking the max will be $7,000 range.

Gosh, will that get me anything decent?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
hearts set, that is a beautiful setting!

This one by Vatche is similar but does not have the pave on the basket. It is "only" about $2100:

247_large.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
This one is only $1540 in 18k white gold at Excel/SuperbCert:

888_xlarge.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
$4500 sounds high to me
20.gif
i would defininatey considering going custom with something similar. at least get a few quotes to see what''s the ballpark figure would be. Whiteflash does beautiful custom work. I also recently had a ring made by Quest Jewelers and they are fantastic to work with.

you can also try

wink jones and Michael E does custom work.

you should be able to get a nice stone and setting for $7000. that''s a very nice budget to work with in my opinion
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo Patty, that one is very similar
36.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hearts:

If you absolutely love the ring over other options, then I suggest you get it.

However, I''m not so sure that $4500 will get you a truely great diamond. I would think more like $6000 for that size.

My personal preference would be to spend most of the money on the center diamond - and get a truely great diamond, and somewhat less on the ring. But, this is your ring so you get to decide.

Perry

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Patty, those are almost a perfect match. Nice job
1.gif

Heart Set, Hehe I totally understand how those first talks go, have to ease into them, but it is exciting at the same time! Looks like there are definitely some more affordable options out there for you! Good luck in your search for *the ring*
9.gif

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
If you really like the setting I would go with custom. I have a feeling it will be significantly less. I know there is some rule of thumb about spending 1/3 of what you spent on the diamond on the setting, but my setting is $3800 and was quoted $13,000 for a designer version that was similar. I got a great deal on my diamond it was $6600 because of the numbers(1.45 carats, H, VS1), but I love the way that it looks, so I could afford to spend extra on the setting. I bought the diamond before I knew how much I was going to spend on a setting, and could have upgraded to a bigger stone and simpler setting, but my girlfriend loved the diamond so it turned out very well for us. This way I got to customize and I like the look even better. You should look into the customization to just get an idea of the price, nothing is written in stone by getting an estimate, that way you have more of an idea of what you can do within your budget.

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
Thank You!! Merci! (We''re going to France, so I''m practicing!!)

Everyone has been so very helpful and has given me some real food for thought.

I appreciate your interest very much!

Paty...the settings you suggested were quite nice and much more attainable.

E and I sat down last night and looked at them as well as some other styles. We both really like the one attached, as well. Looks like this is going to be a lot of fun....and an education for us both!

dazedland...sounds like you got exactly what you wanted which is so important. You''re right, it doesn''t hurt to ask, and get an estimate. Did a local jeweler customize your ring or did you go the online route??

MrSalvo...I checked out the links...thanks so much

So much to think (obsess) about!

leon mege pink sapphire.jpg

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
The Leon Mege setting is also very beautiful, you have excellent taste (of course I have never really seen a Leon Mege setting that I didn''t love, I am in NYC and would have went through him, but I didn''t want to wait that long to get the setting.) I bought the diamond and am having the setting custom made by Whiteflash. I should have the wax this week and I''ll definitely be posting it :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results