shape
carat
color
clarity

Would this SI1 be eye clean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
The following Emerald cut diamond is on BlueNile, which seems to be cheap IMO. The GIA certificate is dated Feb 2001. Why do you think the price is very low? Is it beacuse of the inclusion right under the table? Or the certificate date which implies that no one wanted to take risk on this stone? Comments will be appreciated.

wayTooCheap.JPG

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Probably a little of both. It is hard to get a good emerald in that color grade, the obvious reason being that emerald cuts are not as forgiving as an RB or princess. I do think that in an SI1, that large feather in the table would be visible to the naked eye. What the certification date tells me is 1) perhaps some people bought this diamond then returned it, 2) the cutter won''t send it back to GIA because it fears that it will receive a lower grading if it does or 3)both 1 and 2.

I''d pass on this stone and find one of better clarity just to be safe

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Did you call Blue Nile and ask them if the stone is eye clean? If you like what you hear, and the price is right, it might be worth your whlle to have them send it to an independent appraiser in your area where you can see it. There are now so many square and rectangular shapes to choose from and it may be that they have it for a while and do not get enough calls for emerald cuts. Anyhow, I think itis worth a call to get the answer.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Inclusions are much more visible in emerald cuts than the more faceted cuts like RB. My guess (and it is just that) is that this inclusion is visible. Call Bluenile and ask them for more details and see if they can have someone knowledgable eyeball the stone for you, and talk you through what they see. (This is a service that most of the internet venedors here provide. I don''t know if Bluenile does.) If they can''t give you more info, then you have the option of having it shipped somewhere for an expert eval, and returning it if isn''t satisfactory. You just have to decide if that cost is worth the risk. I''d try to pin down Bluenile further.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
it is not in any vendor interest - even BH''s suppliers - to have the stone shipped here and there if the sale is going to fall through. Most dealers will give an honest opinion so as to not incure expenses and remove a stone from availability.

Personally I doubt you would see it - the inclusion is probably very very feint - the larger it looks on the plot - the harder it would be to see for any given grade. And remeber too that this inclusion is in the table - in general if you could move an inclusion that is tabel centered into a crown facet - the grade would go up by one. that might mean it was then a VS2.

Exercise: Quizz: competition idea

Those of you with diamonds and loupes - without referring to your cert - draw your inclusions on a plot in adobe etc
Post them here for others to guess what grade they are.
And if you can - afterwards - put the actual report scan and your attempt up side by side.

any takers?

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I spoke to BLUE NILE. Luckily they already had an appraisal on the stone by one of their appraisers. I was told that the inclusion underneath the table to visible to nake eye, which means it is quite critical. As a result, the stone is lowly priced because of that inclusion. For a G-color SI1 clarity 1.5+ carat stone, that was the lowly priced emerald at BN. That tells the story how bad the inclusion actually is.

Garry, your idea is great. Is there any takers? Garry, are you aware of the price chart that tabulates price vs color vs flourescence. I remember seeing a tabulation somewhere. Now I am not sure where I saw it. If someone knows about it, could you please post a link? Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is published by Rapaport.
I think it is a bad example of the messanger or the so called reporter setting the pricing policy.
I will not post it. i think it is rubbish and only becomes a self fullfilling prophecy since fluoro of itself is more often a benefit than a liability.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of the example below... I''d still want to see that EC. If these are I1 (only one good for fishing, the other not), how bad can SI1 be ?

I1bg.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results