shape
carat
color
clarity

Why we shouldn't use HCA tool for AGS triple ideal diamonds?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Why we shouldn't use HCA tool for AGS triple ideal diamo

I don't care what anyone says.
I feel free to use ALL the cut-evalution tools before spending my money on a round.

There are SOOOO many rounds to pick from.
Why not find one that all the tools bless?

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Lookinghard|1411002369|3752854 said:
So many of the seasoned posters on Pricescope advises the HCA cut advisor not to be used for AGS ideal cut diamonds. What is the reason for this?

For example, I found this diamond that is graded AGS triple 0, but has only a HCA score of 3.0.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?stockno=LD02607982

So in this case should a consumer ignore the HCA score?

I think instead you should pay attention to the information HCA is telling you. The HCA score is 3.0 and the comment was "worth buying if the price is right".

Do you understand what impact a 62.6% depth has on the faceup size? Or a 35.7Crown with / 40.8 pavilion (both rounded) on brightness? Do you know why its been sitting on Bluenile so long with a 2010 grading report and top AGS grade? Is it a good price given the alternatives you can find?

I can't answer those questions for you, I am not supposed to comment on other vendor's stones and even if I could this is a bad example for the premise of this thread because in this case the HCA pointed out something that would not be readily available if one just assumes all AGS 000 stones are perfect.

I don't agree with your premise, each stone should be evaluated individually by paying close attention to the information available on the grading report and the images provided, this is the best way to precisely set its value.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

I run the equivalent of the hca in my head on every MRB I consider buying.
There are hca 3.0 stone I would consider buying with more information like IS/ASET.
There are AGS0 stones I would not consider buying.
When 2 tools disagree it means look very closely and get more information, if more information is not available I move on.
I do not agree with the comment not to run the hca on ags0 stones.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Anyone who says that is incorrect IMO. You absolutely should use the HCA on all stones.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

MelisendeDiamonds|1411007934|3752908 said:
Lookinghard|1411002369|3752854 said:
So many of the seasoned posters on Pricescope advises the HCA cut advisor not to be used for AGS ideal cut diamonds. What is the reason for this?

For example, I found this diamond that is graded AGS triple 0, but has only a HCA score of 3.0.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?stockno=LD02607982

So in this case should a consumer ignore the HCA score?

I think instead you should pay attention to the information HCA is telling you. The HCA score is 3.0 and the comment was "worth buying if the price is right".

Do you understand what impact a 62.6% depth has on the faceup size? Or a 35.7Crown with / 40.8 pavilion (both rounded) on brightness? Do you know why its been sitting on Bluenile so long with a 2010 grading report and top AGS grade? Is it a good price given the alternatives you can find?

I can't answer those questions for you, I am not supposed to comment on other vendor's stones and even if I could this is a bad example for the premise of this thread because in this case the HCA pointed out something that would not be readily available if one just assumes all AGS 000 stones are perfect.

I don't agree with your premise, each stone should be evaluated individually by paying close attention to the information available on the grading report and the images provided, this is the best way to precisely set its value.
I agree with this assessment. Best to evaluate all available info. As thorough as the AGS LP grading system is, and as narrow the Ideal range is, there are always the borderline stones. The HCA indicated that.

The key is the statement "worth buying if the price is right". I would extend that advice to add "and if there is nothing else available in the color/clarity range with an equivalent cut grade".

Ideally you have a complete set of diagnostic tools available to make your decision, and many available options in your target area. If not, an AGS light performance based Ideal report is the single best assurance of cut quality.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results