shape
carat
color
clarity

Why get VVS1?

princesultan

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I'm just wondering why someone would go for a VVS1 over say a VS1? To the naked eye, you can't tell any difference if I understand correctly, and there could be a significant price savings with a VS1. I understand with color, you select certain grades over others because the naked eye can tell the difference between say a D and an H.

It seems as if someone were to make concessions in 1 of the 4 C's, clarity would be the 1st place, no?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mind clean? status issues? For me, that would not be necessary. I'm ok at the VS2 level.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the stone you want happens to be VVS1! This happened in my case -- as I fell in love with the other aspects & price actually of an asscher that was also VVS1. Continuing to search for something that might be a more optimal value wasn't worth the time & angst to me.
Especially since high clarity is more valuable IMHO for more "open" cuts like Asschers and Emeralds -- as inclusions are so much more obvious in those.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why spend all that money to get a VVS1?
Same reason people spend all that money to get a real diamond?

You get a real one because you just want a real one.
Similarly, you get a VVS1 because you just want a VVS1. - after you learn that to the naked eye a VVS1 will look identical to 99% of the VS2s.

VVS1 is not necessary, but neither is a real diamond.
Just get educated and buy what like and value.
Some are happy with an I2, some with eye-clean, and others would only consider an IF.
Nobody is wrong.
People just vary.

Find your own comfort zone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1332451639|3154571 said:
Why spend all that money to get a VVS1?
Same reason people spend all that money to get a real diamond?

You get a real one because you just want a real one.
Similarly, you get a VVS1 because you just want a VVS1. - after you learn that to the naked eye a VVS1 will look identical to 99% of the VS2s.

VVS1 is not necessary, but neither is a real diamond.
Just get educated and buy what like and value.
Some are happy with an I2, some with eye-clean, and others would only consider an IF.
Nobody is wrong.
People just vary.

Find your own comfort zone.

Kenny, you always say the right things! You bring it down to 'human terms'. :appl:

brzekb

Rough_Rock
I agree with the last post. I am new to the idea of looking at diamonds and so far, the different people I have talked to all look for or prefer a different aspect of the diamond. Everyone has a different set of criteria and cost is certainly another one. As long as it makes her happy!!

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
1.56ct E IF stone 44,100 dollars

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-IF-Very Good-Cut-Round-Diamond-1381715.asp

1.53ct E VVS1 stone 34,800 dollars

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VVS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1177189.asp

I can think of 9,300 reasons why I'd take a VVS1 over an IF diamond based solely on this one comparison above.

Heres a 1.62ct E VVS1 thats a 60/60 cut with great numbers for even a better deal at 32,750

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VVS1-Very Good-Cut-Round-Diamond-1462159.asp

When you think of the difference between a VVS1 and a IF, it can be substantial, but then again if you drop to a VVS2 and a color grade

Now, sitting side by side you can have a E color, 1.56ct IF for $44,100 OR you could have a F color 2.01ct VVS2 for $41,950

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1343741.asp

now, variations in personal taste, what a person wants, and derived/precieved value comes into play. I would personally take 2cts over 1.5cts in a big stone anyday and I dare think 97% of the PS members would as well given the cost difference, then take the extra $2,000 and put it into the mount or something else. The other 3% think the other way and cant understand how someone can compromise even the smallest of amounts. Then, well there's the Man Made type of things that I think run like $500/2ct IF F/G color :roll: It too had a place in the consumer market, just not in my jewelry of choice.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think deco and kenny are right on the money with this one. You fall in love with a stone's characteristics and it happens to be a higher clarity than you care about, you buy it. You want a real diamond vs. a simulant, you buy one. And in some cultures, high clarity is valued for purity reasons. Personally, I would buy any clarity (IF to I2) stone as long as it was eye clean to me, and I liked the other characteristics.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubybeth said:
I think deco and kenny are right on the money with this one. You fall in love with a stone's characteristics and it happens to be a higher clarity than you care about, you buy it. You want a real diamond vs. a simulant, you buy one. And in some cultures, high clarity is valued for purity reasons. Personally, I would buy any clarity (IF to I2) stone as long as it was eye clean to me, and I liked the other characteristics.
couldn't agree more.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer VS1 because it is generally clean with a 10x loupe. No point for me to pay for higher than that. But like others have said, if I found a stone that had everything I wanted but was VVS and still in budget, I might buy it if stones like it were very hard to find. I'd never do it with a round brilliant because you can almost always find a VS1.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VS1 is good enough for me,and when you get to my age all SI stones will look FLAWLESS.. :!:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results