shape
carat
color
clarity

who can make this ring?

sammie83

Rough_Rock
hi! as some of you know, i've been having trouble deciding on a setting for my 0.9 RB...

well, i finally decided on one, but i don't know where to get it!

leon quoted me 2,800 for it (without pave on the shank, i just want the basket like in the picture with a plain shank), and 23rd street said 2,500...and that's just way too much! i'd like to spend 1,500-1,600 max..

anyone know a quality place who can make this? thanks for the help!

Copy of r864_023Ww.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Hello there -

When you go the "custom" route - be prepared to pay for it. It''s not a stock item, and they have to fabricate it and assemble it. some do it by hand and some use CADs to generate the model - all of this is time consuming - hence the quote you seem to get.

For my 3 stone - without any diamonds - to make it was close to $1,500 and its 18K!
If you are asking for platinum + diamonds and the time it takes to set the pave stones, re-create the design, the emails back and forth you and the jeweler, adjustments etc - I think the quotes you have been given are justified. Leon tend to be on the higher end of the spectrum, while others are right in the middle and others, not enough... Location also play a factor in how much a jeweler charge ( rent, employees etc... ), these are all little things that add up!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can see about a CAD and cast route with BGD. It might bring the cost down a little. Can''t hurt to get a quote. It will not be a Leon though.

I actually think that setting will not work well with a .9ct diamond. I think it is too detailed. Scaled down to a .9ct means very little room on the prongs! I am not trying to disparage your diamond at all, just some designs only seem to work on those honkin'' door knobs Leon seems to work with.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I must not be looking at the stone correctly. I am seeing pave on the doughnut underneath the ring? That seems uncomfortable.
As to the price, for all that work in platinum, the cost seems realistic.
Dreamer D made a good point: To fit all that around a stone of average size may look busy, and may not be possible.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring is made by Leon Mege. If you want that ring, I would have him make it. I have never seen one duplicated to his level of skill. Also, any jeweler will have to change a percentage so as not to copy it.

It might also be a copyrighted design. Check Artofplatinum.com under solitaires. I think it is on the first or second page.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oops, sorry, I looked for Leon in your post but somehow missed it.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
lovetosparkle,
I wanted to see the ring but cannot pull up that website. Did he get a new website? I think I read that. Off to look.

sammie83

Rough_Rock
hey guys...thanks for the responses...

my thinking is that the pave basket will add an interesting dimension to the ring, and also make the ring look larger overall..

dreamer: i wanted the shank to be a plain band to take away from the business and bring the focus to the center.. i''m sure leon would be able to scale the design to accomodate the size of my stone (which i think is a pretty good size
17.gif
)

pink: yes, there is pave underneath the donut, i would have it without tho... it''d prolly feel kinda scratchy
3.gif

i just wanted something to give a little unexpected oomph to a solitaire

thanks again, i appreciate the feedback!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sammie, I don''t think that the pave on the donut underneath would be scratchy. I think it would be incredibly smooth, because I don''t think Leon would make it if it was.
That is exactly the kind of thing that makes him a master.
But those stones would always have the oil from your hands on them so I don''t how much it would be worth it. I love the basket of that ring. The swoopyness is perfection.
If you can swing it financially, I would have Leon make it, it is a killer!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
honestly, I''d say to save up and go with Leon. It''s his design and going custom with a cad/cam jeweler could leave you disappointed in the results. Leon seems to have a special skill in proportions and making sure ring designs compliment the stones. that is what you are paying him for along with the labor and diamonds.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s really, really pretty. Maybe you could see if anyone here has that setting or one similar in a stone comparable in size to yours? Just to get an idea of what it might look like on your hand. If you still love it, I''d agree to save up for Leon. I''ve not seen his work in person, but as a rule, copies aren''t as good as the original (kind of like movies generally aren''t as good as the book!).

sammie83

Rough_Rock
tyty: that''s funny! i was almost set on getting that tacori, but my fiance didn''t like it! thank you for the suggestion! (i still think it''s very pretty :)

luv: you''re prolly right...leon wouldn''t do the pave donut if it wasn''t good! i love the swoopiness too!
3.gif

mrssalvo: you''re prolly right too.. i''d prolly be disappointed if i had it copied.. and yes, the fact that leon tailors his settings to the stone is what makes him the most attractive choice to me

yenny: thanks! i tried looking here for something like it, but didn''t find anything (i''ve seen some with the basket, but not a plain shank)..

i''m going to go to a store that carries designer settings near me to see what i can find, but i really like this one!

BUT i dunno if my fiance will go for it...he said the budget was 6000 total and i spent 5400 on the diamond (wish i woulda found this site before i chose it... i got an F, VS1 which i now realize i didn''t need to go so high on those specs...my sister has an H (not sure of clarity) that looks just as good to me..i prolly coulda gotten into the 1 carat range, huh? actually, no, don''t tell me
2.gif
) i was thinking of telling him i''ll get a plain band if we can spend more on the setting (anyone know how much leon charges for a plain platinum band?)... is 2800 worth it? i feel like this will be my only ring (in terms of getting an upgrade) because fi is kinda sentimental and prolly wouldn''t want me to change it... eek, kinda rambling here!

thanks all!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Is it too late to return the stone? Not many vendors make a custom setting like the one you are interested in and when they do the price is about the same or more than Leon's. Getting that setting with a custom and pave basket will prevent you from ever using the setting for a different larger stone.

What many of us do is start off with a simple setting and upgrade in a year or so for an anniversary.

sammie83

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 6:54:49 PM
Author: swingirl
Is it too late to return the stone? Not many vendors make a custom setting like the one you are interested in and when they do the price is about the same or more than Leon''s. Getting that setting with a custom and pave basket will prevent you from ever using the setting for a different larger stone.

What many of us do is start off with a simple setting and upgrade in a year or so for an anniversary.
yeah, the stone is a done deal... it''s a very pretty stone, but i wish i would have known more before i got it.. mostly that i was searching for a "mind-clean" stone which was not necessary..

like i said, i don''t think my fiance will ever let me upgrade, so i want to get something i love if i have to live with it the rest of my life
9.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not trust a ring in an intricate design like that made for $1500 - my trellis w/o any pave cost more than that in gold. Remember that you ALWAYS get what you pay for, and that design has a lot to potentially screw up.

You can get a quote but even BGD or WF will not make a ring that looks just like that, with that level of attention finish, so if you're hoping for an exact match you'll be disappointed.

Besides, honestly, I don't think that's a great design for a smaller stone either - would be overwhelming.

hunt7191

Rough_Rock
My ring looks almost exactly like that. I got it a few years ago from Danhov and JA set it for me. Mine is a double shank though. I honestly can''t remember how much I paid but it may be worth looking at danhov. The quality of my ring is unbeatable. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results