shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash Expert Selection GIA Cert

Ares12

Rough_Rock
Is there any reason the following stone wouldn't look good in an engagement ring with a halo? The reason I'm having doubts is that it's significantly cheaper than other diamonds with similar specs.

The diamond is a 1.1ct I VS2 (eye clean) Expert Selection for $6800: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2883849.htm
They tell me it missed ACA for having a depth percentage of 62.4 (cutoff is 62), a crown angle of 35.5 (cutoff is 35) and having a GIA
certificate (seems odd they'd mark it down for that instead of just getting an AGS cert.).

This is the setting: http://www.mervisdiamond.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/317x213/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/5/2518_rd_10.jpg

Thanks for your help.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It leaks a little bit more than we'd like to see around here, I'd look into other options, I think you can do better for almost $7000, esp if you can do SI1.

Very pretty setting.

Ares12

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I'm willing to do SI1 as long as it's eye-clean; however I'd like between 1 and 1.2 cts, ideally as close as possible to 1.2. Nothing else on Whiteflash is within $900 ($1100 for ACA). BGD doesn't appear to be any better. Def open to suggestions though, thanks.

Ares12

Rough_Rock
Thanks, that GOG diamond looks the most promising. Just so we're comparing apples and oranges though, the WF diamond in the OP was $6400 for Pricescope wire price.

Does GOG have a Pricescope discount?

Edit: Can't edit OP for some reason, but I just found out about HCA and AGA and the scores were 2.7 and 1B respectively. However, even the ACA linked above had an HCA of 2.2; so not sure how much stock to put in it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ares12|1363299836|3405102 said:
Thanks, that GOG diamond looks the most promising. Just so we're comparing apples and oranges though, the WF diamond in the OP was $6400 for Pricescope wire price.

Does GOG have a Pricescope discount?

Edit: Can't edit OP for some reason, but I just found out about HCA and AGA and the scores were 2.7 and 1B respectively. However, even the ACA linked above had an HCA of 2.2; so not sure how much stock to put in it.

You do not even use the HCA on stones that have been graded by AGS for light performance and I also do not use it when there is an idealscope image. All of the stones I posted are excellent. And the GOG stone rates Ideal for light performance on the AGS software as well as being top cut quality like the ACA's at WF.

Good Old Gold's wire discount is their discounted price.

The original stone did have more leakage than these others, so that is likely why it was priced lower.

I have bought from both vendors, personally, and I have been very pleased with all my purchases from them!

Ares12

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help; I decided to stick with my original choice in the end.

May be interesting to someone: Whiteflash called before they shipped the stone and said due to some mixup on their end, the stone isn't inscribed with the GIA reference number the way the GIA certificate says (I told them I didn't care). They said it's because they also sent it to AGS and intended to have the AGS cert be the final one, but dropped the ball along the way somehow. Anyway, they shared the AGS report as well - the stone got AGS 0's across the board - link: http://imgur.com/ji1DrvW

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ares12|1363327096|3405407 said:
Thanks for all your help; I decided to stick with my original choice in the end.

May be interesting to someone: Whiteflash called before they shipped the stone and said due to some mixup on their end, the stone isn't inscribed with the GIA reference number the way the GIA certificate says (I told them I didn't care). They said it's because they also sent it to AGS and intended to have the AGS cert be the final one, but dropped the ball along the way somehow. Anyway, they shared the AGS report as well - the stone got AGS 0's across the board - link: http://imgur.com/ji1DrvW

Well, I am sure the stone is fine. It just has more leakage than most AGS0 stones I have seen. But hopefully the difference is minimal!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OK, I really do trust WF to give you the diamond you bought. However, by having the stone laser engraved by a third party, in this case GIA, gives you 100% piece of mind that it is what it is. So when you get the ring you can take out your loupe and see the girdle engraved with the laser inscribe that matches. It's also kind of fun. Let's look down the road, just suppose you need a local jeweler to do some work for you and the stone needs to be removed, how do you know the jeweler is using your stone? Well, when you bring in the work for repair, you tell the jeweler that the girdle is laser inscribed and when you are picking it up when the work is finished you want to see the inscription. A few years ago I bought some studs from BGD and had them mounted by a local jeweler. I told the woman that they were laser engraved, she put them under a 100x microscope to verify and when the work was done, I had them show me under their microscope. Hey, diamonds are expensive and in the end its your coin and how well you sleep at night. Also, others can chime in, I think that when the vendor sends the stone to AGS or GIA, included in the price of grading is inscribing the girdle. Good luck.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1363349611|3405482 said:

OK, I really do trust WF to give you the diamond you bought. However, by having the stone laser engraved by a third party, in this case GIA, gives you 100% piece of mind that it is what it is. So when you get the ring you can take out your loupe and see the girdle engraved with the laser inscribe that matches. It's also kind of fun. Let's look down the road, just suppose you need a local jeweler to do some work for you and the stone needs to be removed, how do you know the jeweler is using your stone? Well, when you bring in the work for repair, you tell the jeweler that the girdle is laser inscribed and when you are picking it up when the work is finished you want to see the inscription. A few years ago I bought some studs from BGD and had them mounted by a local jeweler. I told the woman that they were laser engraved, she put them under a 100x microscope to verify and when the work was done, I had them show me under their microscope. Hey, diamonds are expensive and in the end its your coin and how well you sleep at night. Also, others can chime in, I think that when the vendor sends the stone to AGS or GIA, included in the price of grading is inscribing the girdle. Good luck.

Whoa, no, that is incorrect! That is an extra service and I have never had a diamond girdle inscribed other than the branded stones that were inscribed by the vendor. It isn't necessary because diamonds are all unique and can be matched to the inclusion plot and all the measurements on the lab report. Reputable jewelers do not switch out stones. That's why you choose established jewelers with great reputations to do any maintenance on your jewelry. And you should have insurance for any kind of loss anyway. So he does not need to worry about an inscription whatsoever. Most diamonds are sold without one.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1363350129|3405488 said:
WillyDiamond|1363349611|3405482 said:

Whoa, no, that is incorrect! That is an extra service and I have never had a diamond girdle inscribed other than the branded stones that were inscribed by the vendor. It isn't necessary because diamonds are all unique and can be matched to the inclusion plot and all the measurements on the lab report. Reputable jewelers do not switch out stones. That's why you choose established jewelers with great reputations to do any maintenance on your jewelry. And you should have insurance for any kind of loss anyway. So he does not need to worry about an inscription whatsoever. Most diamonds are sold without one.

Whoa, I said in my post I was not sure about the laser inscription being standard by the grader, however, I have bought from diamonds from WF(ACA's) and BGD (Signature Series) and they have all been laser inscribed on these branded stones. WF or BGD did not do the inscription, it was done by the grader (AGS or GIA), it had to be this way, because the GIA and AGS logo is on the girdle and BGD or WF cannot imprint GIA or AGS logo.
DS2006 you may be a very sophisted diamond buyer, but most of us are lay people, and I assume the OP is of such and does not possess the skill set, as you do, to compare plots and inclusions and measurements. And if the diamond had to come out of the setting by a local jeweler for repair, why take the risk if you don't have to?
I personally think that WF dropped the ball, as they admitted and did not get their branded stone inscribed, the OP is free to do what he/she wants but I would return it to WF and have it inscribed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is not an ACA, so it wouldn't have been inscribed with the brand. There is about zero chance that a jeweler is going to risk going to jail and losing their business over switching a stone. Always go to high end jewelers for maintenance and repairs (since they hopefully would have a decent bench jeweler) and it is simply not an issue. Most diamonds do not have an inscription.

And I have no special knowledge. I picked up a loupe and calipers for a few dollars on ebay or amazon, and I can recognize my stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results