shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond to select for an engagement ring

ggarzacantu

Rough_Rock
Hi i have two diamonds options (and i dont know which one to select. The two options are GIA. certification.

Both cushion

1.- .88, si1(eye clean), h, cut: ex, polish: ex, symetry: ex

2.- .90, vs2, g, cut: very good, polish: ex, symetry: good

Same price for both. Thanks for your help!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't help you. Both could be awesome. Both could be dogs. Why? Stats mean nothing with cushions.

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. With fancies though (anything other than a round brilliant), that is a little complicated. But no other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. And with ovals the numbers on a lab report are meaningless.

Outside of a AGS0 light performance graded cushion really is no other way to determine if you have a good cushion cut is to see images of the stones, and then you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.

That's what an ASET image does. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance Please read.
And ASET shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return That is why you won't see us recommending vendors like Blue Nile (except for their Signature Ideal line), as they do not provide images or ASET images for their diamonds. James Allen and Good Old Gold do this. So do Brian Gavin, B2C and Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds. ERD does too, for stones they source for you.

ggarzacantu

Rough_Rock
Wow you just put me another variable
That will make my search more dificult, iam buying it from internet so cant see the diamond until i buy it. I have perfect
Policy return so that is not a problem.

Forget to tell they have "no floureces"

If it was on you, what will you choose?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's what I mean.

Compare these two cushions:

#1 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-313251 1 carat G VVS2 Polish: Ex Symmetry: Good. 69.2 depth and 63 table. Ratio of 1.01
#2 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-184265 1.01 G VVS2 Polish: Ex Symmetry: Very Good. Depth 69.8 and 63 table. Ratio of 1.01

All the stats are very close. Right? Now look at the stones. And compare them.

#1 has very crisp facets and sharp contrast zones all throughout the stone. The facets all flash on and off. Very pretty pattern of facet arrangement. It's going to be very alive on the hand and sparkle and dance.

Now look at #2. See how all the facets are mushy under the table? How there is no flashing, no dancing and no contrast? All of that is lost light or leakage. This stone will be relatively dead on the hand. And will not sparkle and dance very much at all. And certainly not in comparison to the other one.

In fact if you compare just the stats. You'd think that #2 with it's Very Good symmetry instead of #1's only Good symmetry would be the better stone. But it's not. At all. Plus #2 is more expensive!

There's more I could explain. I could show you the facet plots on the lab reports and explain them to you. But that's the advanced version. And you are just a beginner for now. And this was just an example to show you why we can't help you with the information you've posted because frankly what you've posted is meaningless.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ggarzacantu|1407904045|3731322 said:
Wow you just put me another variable
That will make my search more dificult, iam buying it from internet so cant see the diamond until i buy it. I have perfect
Policy return so that is not a problem.

Forget to tell they have "no floureces"

If it was on you, what will you choose?

No. You aren't understanding what I am saying.

You CAN see the diamonds before you buy them. IF YOU SHOP AT A VENDOR THAT HAS IMAGES AND ASETs. Like James Allen: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-313251

Also above you list that the stones have "very good" or "excellent" cut. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF THAT. Why? GIA doesn't grade cushions for cut. Any vendor designations like "very good cut" or "excellent cut" are meaningless without evidence.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can help you and find diamonds for you that are worth your time.

That's what we do.

Why don't you post your budget. And tell us what you'd like for the money. And we'll help you find some nice stones for your budget at vendor with pictures and ASETs and even videos. So that you can see the diamond and know it is a bright beautiful stone before you buy.

Okay?

ggarzacantu

Rough_Rock
Iam really not trying to buy from you.

Iam trying to here opinions that will help me to choose betweeen those two options.

Thanks you

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm an not selling.

And I've already told you that you DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION TO MAKE AN EDUCATED DECISION. And that there is not enough information there for ANYONE to help you. And anyone who tells you that they can help you based on that information is lying to you. GO BACK AND READ MY POSTS. Especially the one where I compare two diamonds for you.

I've explained it step by step in detail. If you can't comprehend it by now, there's nothing I can do. You want to waste thousands on something you have no idea how to shop for, that's your problem. YOU NEED TO SHOP WITH PICTURES AND AN ASET. You did not post EITHER. So we CANNOT HELP YOU.

I'm not a vendor. I'm a poster, just like you. Except I know a heck of a lot more. I get no commission. I get no kick backs. And I get no discounts. I just post here because it is my hobby. You should really research the forum better.

Actually you should research EVERYTHING better.

Good bye and good luck.

jazzandchocolate

Rough_Rock
Hi there...what Gypsy is saying is that cushions are considered fancy cuts, and they must be evaluated with real images. She's not advertising a particular business, and she wants to help you, because there is not enough information to suggest to you a particular diamond from the ones that you listed. If you like, she or others can start with your budget and your preferences and try to find you a stone that will look great within your budget. Most people here are just to spread their knowledge of diamonds and other stones, and are not actual sellers or vendors.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results