shape
carat
color
clarity

what makes the most sense?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

saywhat

Rough_Rock
I am looking at several alternatives ranging from 1.75 carat to 2.03 carat. All are in the price range around 20k Some are rated ideal and others H&A. My first question is, am I even going to notice its H&A diamond without a magnifiying glass? Lets assumes the HCA numbers are the same between the AGS Ideal cut and the H&A diamond. In other words, does the H&A just make u feel warm and fuzzy inside but holding other factors constant (lets assume a similar HCA score with IDEAL standards for polish symmetry) will it look the same as an Ideal (AGS-0). And what do I need to ask for (eg. will actual pictures help?). It seems the H&A dealers (GOG, Superbcert, NiceICe) give up a lot more info than some of the larger operations (UD and BN). I assume these larger dealers will produce the info on request. Is there a major difference in size between 1.8 and 2.0 carat? and should u sacrifice the color/clarity a notch to get the carat weight up. I understand its personal preference, however if I can''t see the difference with my eyes I am not going to really care. For example, here are a several i am looking at from internet dealers:

1.85 F VS2 H&A 1.5 HCA $21k
2.01 E SI1 Ideal $23k
1.9 G VS2 Ideal 1.1 HCA $18k
1.78 F VS2 H&A .7 HCA $20k

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Full proportions information including a facet-by-facet breakdown of the structure of the diamond is most helpful... Be aware that the average crown and pavilion angle measurements can be the result of a tight or broad variance, the tighter the range the more likely the diamond is to perform well. By all means, ask those vendors who do not supply the information that you seek to provide it for you. Feel free to post that information here on PS so that other experienced people can assist you with deciphering the information. Happy hunting!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2005 1:24:17 AM
Author:saywhat
I am looking at several alternatives ranging from 1.75 carat to 2.03 carat. All are in the price range around 20k Some are rated ideal and others H&A. My first question is, am I even going to notice its H&A diamond without a magnifiying glass? Lets assumes the HCA numbers are the same between the AGS Ideal cut and the H&A diamond. In other words, does the H&A just make u feel warm and fuzzy inside but holding other factors constant (lets assume a similar HCA score with IDEAL standards for polish symmetry) will it look the same as an Ideal (AGS-0). And what do I need to ask for (eg. will actual pictures help?). It seems the H&A dealers (GOG, Superbcert, NiceICe) give up a lot more info than some of the larger operations (UD and BN). I assume these larger dealers will produce the info on request. Is there a major difference in size between 1.8 and 2.0 carat? and should u sacrifice the color/clarity a notch to get the carat weight up. I understand its personal preference, however if I can''t see the difference with my eyes I am not going to really care. For example, here are a several i am looking at from internet dealers:

1.85 F VS2 H&A 1.5 HCA $21k
2.01 E SI1 Ideal $23k
1.9 G VS2 Ideal 1.1 HCA $18k
1.78 F VS2 H&A .7 HCA $20k
no.....that''s not true, in fact most of the large vendors don''t have the diamonds in house.if you want detail information on a stone,pictures,reports,etc....i would advise you to call vendors like GOG,WF,NICE ICE.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
some may think that the H&A being perfect mean a better stone but from my experience....having owned a few almost H&A type stones with amazing specs and numbers....for me it''s ''just as good'' to get a very ideal cut stone that is not classified as an H&A. too many H&A''s are mis-branded anyway and some wouldn''t even qualify from vendor to vendor.

find an ideal stone that has stellar specs/numbers with great angles, minor facets if possible, images, a good heart and arrow pattern (the arrows are what you see face up anyway!), good light return from the idealscope and call it a day.

that G VS that you have in your list seems like the best deal to me assuming that it''s well-cut with all of the above.

i own two H&A stones, my hubby owns one, and i also have one ''almost H&A'' from a vendor who cuts H&A and is strict on their brand...my non-branded stone is so precise under all the scopes and with it''s numbers, for me it was the best buy. it''s a firecracker too.

good luck!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The arrows-pattern in a round brilliant is the main part of a contrast-pattern, which increases the scintillation of a stone. There is a huge difference between a stone with compared to one without H&A-pattern. On the other hand, there is a small difference between a stone with a perfect H&A-pattern and one with a pattern which is very close to perfect H&A. In the latter decision, it is your taste and your wallet that decides.

Live long,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paul says it allot better than I can...

If the thing is brilliant (and there''s no need torestrict proportions to AGS0 for that) and has great optical symmetry (= very visible contrast) works for me.

This makes a very good example for what I am trying to say...

DI40X_GIA-13414071.jpg

No idea what it looks from the behind (hearts), but face up the symmetric pattern is glaringly obvious. GIA report and propoirtions outside the trendy AGS niche make it even more attractive, IMO. Wish there were more like this to choose from !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results