Pavilion angle 40.8 degrees
Pavilion depth 43.0 percent
Star length 55%
Lower half 75%
Med to slightly thick faceted girdle
Polish excellent
Symmetry excellent
Fluorescence medium blue

What went wrong. This diamond was as dead as a piece of glass!? Comments please??

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
First things first: was it clean? And if so...did you clean it again? :whistle:

Its larger table and shallower crown height probably makes it favor brightness over dispersion. In other words, it might not be as fiery due to its cut.

What lighting did you have it in?

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
Indoors. Outdoors. Shopping centers. It just looked dull and flat. No fire. No scintillation. I would clean it, it would look good for about an hour, then dull white again.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
I would constantly ask my wife if she cleaned it. Others would ask her if it were dirty.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
That's the reason why I found her a new diamond and setting through whiteflash. I wanted to make sure I did it right for our 5 year anniversary.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
It reads like a GIA report. As you know, GIA grades cut by proportion (as opposed to actual light performance and 3D ray tracing like AGS) and rounds its numbers at that.

A crown angle of 34.5 could mean all facets are 34.5, or some could be 34 and some 35. Some could be even lower or higher; if it rounds out to be "in proportion" it makes GIA's grade.

"Excellent" is unfortunately a pretty wide margin, and not as conservative as many would think (or hope it to be). It could just be a poorly-cut stone within the excellent grade.

The bit about looking good after a cleaning and then looking dull again caught my attention. Does she have lotion or something on her hands? How low is the stone set? Could its pavilion be rubbing against something?

I'm scratching my head a bit over here as well! :read:

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
It is a GIA report. It's set high. Even after cleaning and looking at it without touching it, the diamond has no life. It looks like glass. Just a real frosty white color. No sparkle.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nickiijack|1432685972|3881502 said:
I would constantly ask my wife if she cleaned it. Others would ask her if it were dirty.

How terribly rude of those people.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
Yeah. It is pretty rude. Probably just jealous females because even though it was 1.36 carats, it faces up larger. So I guess you can assume what they were implying.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nickiijack|1432687342|3881511 said:
It is a GIA report. It's set high. Even after cleaning and looking at it without touching it, the diamond has no life. It looks like glass. Just a real frosty white color. No sparkle.
So what did you mean before when you said it looked good for an hour after cleaning it, then returned to looking like a piece of glass? Makes it sound like it looked good after a cleaning but went back to looking poor over time. Seems like the stone was picking up something that was taking the life out of it. Diamonds are very good at attracting oils which attract dust and dirt. Not really sure how a stone cut to those proportions can look so bad all the time, especially if it looks good after a cleaning.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
When we cleaned it in the bathroom, it was shiny. Then, when she would go out to run errands, she said it wouldn't sparkle as much and looked lifeless. Didn't sparkle like right after cleaning it.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
Same thing when she would have it cleaned in the store. It would be shiny, but once she got outside and home, back to looking dull.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you're within return period if stone is such a bad performer. Can you post some photos? The specs look really good.

I also checked your last thread but the stone there is different than the specs posted here.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
Yes. Those specs are for my new diamond I purchased to replace this old one.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately I don't have any pics on hand. The ring is sold and anxiously awaiting the replacement. I just don't understand how a diamond with such good specs could turn out so bad?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't it be interesting to see the IS and ASET of your old stone? I guess it was one that had good specs but was a bad performer.

Hopefully your new stone is sparkly and awesome :).

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've seen similar proportions be AGS 2 in light performance. Curious to know the real details than what's on a standard lab report.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rhino|1432692136|3881551 said:
I've seen similar proportions be AGS 2 in light performance. Curious to know the real details than what's on a standard lab report.

AGS 2 is hardly a dull, lifeless, lacking sparkle, piece of glass though. Doesn't seem right that you'd have such a dud in all different types of light. I guess we'll never know exactly what was going on as we don't have enough info to figure it out.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
Only thing I could think of is diamond got switched when my wife had it put into a new setting at one of those jewelry shows in the mall. But I thought that kind of thing never happened?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you sell it privately or to a jeweler? I would think they would have verified the diamond you were selling them was indeed the one described. If they did, you would have known it was switched at that time.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
I sold it to a jeweler. So, yeah, they would've verified it. There goes that theory. Maybe she just likes warmer diamonds. I noticed whenever we looked at diamonds she would veer towards I - J diamonds with lots of fire. Maybe her diamond just seemed too cool and icy for her tastes and she just didn't know how to explain it. IDK?

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
perhaps it was the:
"Fluorescence medium blue" making it look milky

was it GIA certified?

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
Yes. I was thinking the same thing. If the diamond was closer to a G color perhaps the medium blue fluorescence did make it kinda milky.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pretty much feel like your/her expectations are not realistic. How much a well cut diamond sparkles (when clean) is totally dependent on the lighting. Mine looks amazing in the halogen lights in Walmart, but it doesn't do much in fluorescent like other than look white.

I am a little confused, though. Is the diamond in your first post the diamond you no longer have and now you have ordered a new one from Whiteflash? Or was that the one from WF???

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
The one in my first post is the one I no longer have. It's just funny how so many always thought the diamond was dirty. I did too.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
Wait. Correction. I'm confusing myself. The whiteflash diamond in my first post is the one I just purchased. The diamond I'm talking about in this post is the old diamond.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
I guess I'm just a little nervous and hope I don't end up with a 'dud' this time. Thankfully whiteflash has a great return policy.

Nickiijack

Shiny_Rock
In my first post, that diamond was purchased from the diamond district in New York. It was GIA certified though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results