shape
carat
color
clarity

What does unplated white gold look like? Pics please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

I am trying to decide on the metal for my RHR and need some help. Can you please post pics of your unplated white gold rings?

Thanks!

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
image002.jpg

#3 is Ag/Pd 18k alloy unplated.

From this article by John Pollard.http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/47/1/An-Overview-Of-Common-Alloys-Used-In-Jewelry.aspx

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That means it never has to be replated and it will more or less always look like that (minus a few scratches)?

sazza

Rough_Rock
That has been my experience. My wedding band is unplated WG and it always looks like that. I personally like it more than the super white super shiny plating.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Here is my unplated white gold James Meyer (with platinum bezel and side wraps) alongside my platinum Tacori. It''s a subtle difference, sort of like comparing a K colored diamond with an F - the white gold is more of a candle light white. I find it flatters my skin tone better than platinum.
1.gif

JM 039small.jpg

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone, it''s been really informative finding out what unplated white gold is like in daily wear, seeing the pics and reading the article. This place is the best!In the pic that Stone-Cold posted, it sort of looks more aged and darker (but not very yellow) in comparison to plated white gold. Would you say this is accurate?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I too have an unplated white gold ring from James Meyer, as well as several vintage pieces that are unplated. I wouldn''t say they are "darker" than plated gold, but "warmer."

Imagine choosing white paint for a room. There are warm whites and cool whites. The white of unplated gold is still quite white, but has a warm undertone to it. I''m sold on unplated gold for anything but D-E-F main stones.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Upgradeable. My stone is a G, not very far off colourless grades, so I am in two minds what to do...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results