shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this round diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colgin

Rough_Rock
I previously posted a query about round diamonds and received some excellent responses with some suggestions for diamonds that are listed online. I am currently pursuing some of those suggestions. However, I wanted to get people''s thoughts on the following diamond I viewed in the NYC diamond district a few weeks ago.

Carat: 2.56
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Table: 60%
Depth: 58.8
Pavillion:44%
Crown: 11%
Culet: None
Fluor: None or minimal (I don''t remember)
Cert: EGL (Europe I believe; not U.S.)
Asking price: $14,000

When I saw this I did not think it was the most brilliant stone which is when I started looking online. When I run the numbers through the HCA it gets 2 rating which seems OK to me. I know EGL is lax with their ratings but the color seemed fine to me also. At the time I was underwhelmed but now am wondering whether this is a decent deal and I am being too picky. I can set up another viewing with the dealer but wanted to hear people''s reaction here first. Thanks.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
It certainly doesn't have the traditional ideal dimensions, but sometimes that's how you find the good deals, and what the HCA is partially about. You didn't list the diameter, but I would bet it has a bigger spread, which is what you see, than an ideal cut 2.56 stone, which is nice.

I would look at it in various light situations, and compare it to an ideal cut side by side in the different lights. Then, if it looks good to you, I'd have a good appraiser look at it and give you an opinion. It might be a find, but since you are hesitating already, I'd be careful. You don't want to regret this in a short time.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
You may have found a great dealer in the Diamond District and this may be a superb stone. I went to many dealers and found I was wasting my time and being given misinformation by very pushy people who tried to get me to make a fast decision that I am sure I would have regretted.
I too was looking for a large stone and was reluctant to buy online. However I found it surprisingly easy and I just love my ring. You can see it on Show me the Ring.
I dealt with Lesley at Whiteflash and they were great. They sent the stone to an independent appraiser of my choice in NYC where I was able to see it. I did not have to pay for it until it had been sent back to Whiteflash to be set and ready to be shipped.
You might find you can save a lot of time and frustration by calling some of the very reputable vendors on Pricescope--Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Nice Ice, etc. If you tell them what you are looking for they may be able to locate the ideal stone for you and also provide expert advice. Sometimes they know of stones just reaching the market that are not in their inventory or on the multiple list. Mine was such a stone.
Many people here, including myself, have had excellent experiences buying on line despite initial reluctance.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results