shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage/Antique rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Lately I have been lusting after genuine estate, vintageor antique rings. On my search I have found a ring that I dont feel that I can live without. I am very sad because I want it for an anniversary ring and I know DH will not buy it anytime soon and I believe it to be authentic and one of a kind. Please evaluate for me. If it is a genuine piece of good quality I will find a way to get it.

http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/rings/estate_asscher_diamond_14k_gold_engagement_ring.html

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
honestly I cannot say much from the pictures. To me from the pictures the asschers do not stand out to me as anything spectacular on my laptop. You might want to ask Karl K if he can tell you anything about them because I am not expert in those stones at all. I do love asschers though and spend a lot of time drooling over them myself. I am hoping some day to have a yellow diamond set with high color asschers since they are my favorite cut of stone.

However the setting itself isn''t very unique to me. Do you know when it was supposedly made? Just this kind of setting isn''t very elaborate and would be very easy to recreate IMO.

I know this isn''t highly positive, but while the idea of ring is pretty to me, I do wonder about the stones themselves. They aren''t screaming gorgeous asscher to me, but I am on a laptop and sometimes I don''t see subtle color difference that might show off a better looking step pattern in the center.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
RQ, because you mentioned wanting something "genuine", it's important to note that estate jewelry isn't necessarily old.

General rules of thumb:

Estate jewelry: Previously owned (which could mean bought yesterday or bought a while ago); doesn't signify age.
Vintage jewelry: Jewelry of some age; generally 25 years old or more
Antique jewelry: Typically 100+ years old (although as of late, people are loosely using for pieces that are 75+
years old)

If your goal is to get a piece with some level of age or history, stick to vintage or antique.

The Dover listing merely calls that piece 'estate', not vintage, and though I'm far from being an expert, the style suggests the piece is more recent in age.

You asked if it's a genuine piece of good quality. It looks to be of decent quality, and I'm sure it's genuine to the point of being what it says it is. However, it doesn't claim to be from any specific era or to be of a certain age.

I get the sense from your post that you're wanting a piece with history, and if so, I don't think this is it.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. It does seem easily replicated doesnt it. I will email and ask when they got the ring and start there.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting seems fairly modern, nothing very unusual, but if you have your heart set on it then get it!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Dover sells a mix of very new (but possibly pre-owned) jewelry and genuine antique stuff, and some mixed (like old stones in new settings) and it''s rarely identified or differentiated between in any way other than it''s all labeled "estate". And I tend to think they do some pretty quick guesstimates on things- I''ve gotten things that were dead-on in color/clarity/size, others that were drastically off. The price, at least, has always been good on the things I''ve purchased from them, even when they haven''t been quite as described in a few cases.

In this case the ring looks new to me- the style looks like something from the last 10-15 years. Could be wrong of course...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results