shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera vs GOG vs ERD

jj970

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I am just looking for opinions here. I know there is no one great answer.

All of the above vendors are very well reviewed on PS and I've worked with Jonathan at GOG before to great success.

I'm in the market for a cushion cut in a halo setting and my budget is about 22k.

She like the Soleste at Tiffany's but I was thinking a single halo split shank since the stone I would be getting will be larger than the diamonds she's seen at Tiffany's (which were 1ct).

Anyway, I wanted to have GOG find me a modern cushion. Unfortunately Jonathan has been away. So I talked with Chris at ERD and he is actively looking for a stone.

For the setting I like Victor's work, and he has the exact setting I have in mind...but he says he would like to source the stone himself. He has nothing in house and therefore I won't be able to see any videos or ASETs.

I guess I'm just trying to decide the best course. Has anyone had VC find a diamond? Should I just trust that he will find something as great at GOG or ERD?

Just looking for opinions here...any input is helpful.

Thanks.

Jason

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't hurt to give him a chance. See if he or erd finds the right diamond first. Have you seen his antique cuts yet?

jj970

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking modern cushion...not antique, but that's just because she likes the Soleste...

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Jonathan is back...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I know a number of people who start with looking for a modern cushion but after seeing an antique one they like it far better. T&CO doesn't have antique cushions so she wouldn't have had a chance to see them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Jonathan is back and they open on Tuesday. I certainly have complete trust in him choosing a stone for you because he has a proven history of choosing excellent modern cushions. I think it would be easier for him to do it since he can pick up a lot of stones rather than having them shipped, but if you choose to have Victor make the setting, you may want to give him a chance. And I do think Victor is an excellent choice for the setting. I am glad you are going for a larger center stone and single halo.

jj970

Rough_Rock
Ok, I trust Jonathan too...but VC said he will not use a GOG stone...specifically he said he would not use a august cut vintage. :(

Must be a new thing. He seemed reluctant to use a modern from anywhere else too.

Hmm...who can make my ring then?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor and GOG are having some sort of copyright dispute, so, yeah, no august vintage stones to Victor.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Steven Kirsch or Leon Mege.

I guess you have to choose diamond or setter?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor is currently cutting his own version vintage cushions. They are slightly different from the GOG ones but they have excellent optics as well, they are also marginally cheaper than GOG ones, they do come with ASET images and AGS Light Performance scores, the only down point being Victor has limited numbers of them, GOG has a larger range. Go online and have a look at pictures of them both. Both Victor and GOG can also source modern cushions for you. I have a ring made by Victor and his pave is one of the best you will buy. Perry who works with Leon also has a good stash of both modern and vintage cushions available, these do not come with ASET images, but most are still amazing stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jj970|1368480215|3446246 said:
Ok, I trust Jonathan too...but VC said he will not use a GOG stone...specifically he said he would not use a august cut vintage. :(

Must be a new thing. He seemed reluctant to use a modern from anywhere else too.

Hmm...who can make my ring then?

You said you were looking for a modern cushion, not an August Vintage antique cut cushion???

SB621

Ideal_Rock
First I would find the very best cushion that you can for your budget. Then once you have said cushion I would look into finding a vendor for the setting. Don't limit yourself.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my next question is, what setting is it that you are interested in, so we can see if Victor is the only one who makes it.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have seen Victor's cushion and it throws off lots of fire. It has more of an authentic OMC in personality. Pretty.

If you are still thinking modern cushion, ERD and then see if Victor will take it. I haven't heard before that Victor was not taking outside stones (other than AVCs).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am fairly certain that AVC's are the only stones Victor will not set. It should not apply to a modern cushion or other stones bought from GOG.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results