shape
carat
color
clarity

very thin to very thick girdle; dimensions vs carat wt

echoniner

Rough_Rock
Hi all, my first post.

I am looking at a Radiant cut with a GIA reported "very thin to very thick girdle". That suggests an uneven girdle all the way around I guess? It's a 0.63 carat. Dimensions are 5.59*5.01*3.03mm. Table 68.0%. Depth 60.5%.

Should I be concerned? Could this thin girdle chip easily then?

Also, I was looking at some similar diamonds in the 0.70 carat range. But they had smaller dimensions on the face, like a 5.24*4.93*3.31mm 0.70 carat, with a table of 71.0%.

If I understand what I've been researching, does this mean that the 0.63 diamond will look bigger once set, versus the 0.70 diamond, because the face of the former is wider and longer?

Thanks for your help!

Echo

echoniner

Rough_Rock
Let me add: this will be mounted into a halo setting, so the center diamond will be surrounded somewhat by a protective barrier. Perhaps this will influence responses regarding my concerns of a very thin girdle. Keep in mind this center diamond will still sit slightly above the halo.

Echo

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a radiant expert, so I'll leave to someone else to discuss the actual cut of the stone with you, but what I do know is that GIA posts the dimensions of the thinnest part of the girdle and the thickest part of the girdle, but without having the stone evaluated you won't know how much of it is thin and how much is thick. It's possible that only a tiny portion of this stone is very thin or vice vera. I'd have your vendor evaluate it for you and offer an opinion, and pay equally close attention to where each thin/thick is on the girdle. You will want to avoid fragile corners on a radiant. Good Luck! =)

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It is true that the stone will look larger if it has large dimensions. It does however have an uneven girdle as well. You need to look at the stone though to see just how thin the very thin looks.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's pretty common for Radiants and most other fancy shapes to have a wide range of girdle thickness. It's not, of itself, evidence of a problem and 'extremely thin' is the red flag to look for, not 'very thin'. That said, it's always good to take a look at the stone in person or have your own expert take a look to evaluate potential durability risks. There's just not enough information to do it from the report.

echoniner

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the responses. I've ordered both diamonds (well, three actually), to inspect. As I am no expert, should I go to some local jeweler for an evaluation? How much do jewelers charge for their advice?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results