shape
carat
color
clarity

USPS Registered Insured Now Avail with Priority Mail?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was looking at the USPS website today for someone and was checking out the registered portion of it...which is also the way that most consumers would send diamonds and/or valuables around.

In the past I think it was only available with First Class aka the slow boat? Well now it looks as though you can use Priority Mail also in conjunction with Registered/Insured!

Which is excellent since in the past when I have used the service, waiting 6 long days for my ring or stone to arrive somewhere is nerve-wracking!! 2-3 days is MUCH better!

From the USPS website:

"You can use Registered Mail with:

First-Class Mail® - Letters, envelopes, and small packages weighing 13 ounces or less.
Priority Mail® - Cost effective delivery in an average of 2-3 days. "

Just to confirm I ran through their 'calculate postage' for PM and it did have a 'registered' button to click which then opened the 'Insured Amount' box, and it allowed me to put multi-thousands in etc...

So it looks like it could work, has anyone used this for their shipments yet?

Figured I'd bring it up--again 2-3 days better than 6!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,
Thanks it''s good to know!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Yes Mara. My amethysts are on their way using this method. It takes longer to Canada though. I was hoping for a delivery this week, but realistically, they will arrive next week. So, I guess that''s not really the answer you were looking for.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, very convenient service. They give you a free Priority Mail Box as well. The box is perfect. Many diamonds are shipped in two fedex boxes. Keep the smaller inside one, tape it up and put in the medium priority mail box and you''re good to go.

chas

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara,

Yes, I have used it many times this way. I shipped my diamond(s) to Rockdoc this way. I also shipped my Mark Morrell rings this way as well. Additionally, I have used it to send my wristwatches for maintenance and repair. Nice service, No problems at all.

Chas

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Oh, they''ve offered that for a while. It''s a convenient way for the USPS to make an additional 3.85. I made the mistake of sending two items that way and paid the extra. Both took around 7 days. I now mail it regular 1st class - takes around the same time - 7 days. It''s been a year or so. Maybe they are trying to get better. I shipped two expensive items to a client. The first time we freaked out because we thought it lost it took so long. I had to get my Postmaster involved. The second time I didn''t sweat it. The third time I didn''t bother.

They may try to expedite it; but, I have found you are not really saving time. It really boils down to how many lock ups the package has to go through.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting!! I saw the same thing on the USPS website. I was all set to use Priority Mail with Registered Mail to send my recently reset ring back to have it sized. Our local post office wouldn''t let us do it and said they don''t provide Priority service with Registered mail. Luckily we are so close to the jeweler that it only took one day to get there anyway (I couldn''t drive it down at the time as we were getting ready to come to San Francisco).

Well, I will be challenging our post office!!!
41.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Priority Mail is technically guaranteed to arrive within 2-3 days--that is why you pay the extra. Don''t know if that applies if you add the registered item to it though.

I don''t know if various PO''s are different in how they operate, but I love using PM in general...it''s very fast and it''s cheap if you can use the flat rate box..which I do for alot of items.

Those that have used PM vs First Class, did the package get there within the 2-3 vs 7 days ?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
PM is a great way to ship - and usually does get there quicker. From me to DC, it arrives the next day! AND, you gotta LOVE those boxes.

But registered priority - not this girl. Oh they will let you pay the extra $$$$. They took my money! Icelady, I suppose maybe they have received complaints about how long it took.

The general consensus amoung the dealers I have spoken with is that it maybe shaves off a day or two.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
one thing I learned the other day when i was sending my rings back was that the usps registered mail only insures up to $25,000.

chas

Rough_Rock
Mara,

I have used PM registered frequently! I have shipped from one coast to the other on numerous occasions. Only once did I have a package take 4 days to arrive at its destination. All others were within the 2-3 day time period.

Chas

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Do packages really get there in 2-3 days?? When I shipped before, the clerk told me I could pay for PM but the package get to it's destination any faster.

I'll have to ask next time I'm at the Post Office.
1.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with f&i and noobie - what several post office old-timers have told me is that regardless of whether it''s priority, all registered mail is handled the same way and subject to the same delays. Gotta love the free boxes though.

scapel

Rough_Rock
Mara,
I know this USPS lady at my local office who has I've known for the past ten years. The last time I sent something registered she told me to just send it 1st class instead of priority because it all goes in the same bag anyway. This is because of the special transport they use. They do not apply the 2-3 guarantee for the registered priority mail.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was in the PO today picking up some piority mail stamps for a work-related mailing, and asked the gal at the counter what she thought..she said that PM was doable for registered/insured and should be faster, aka no more than 4 days.

very interesting..seems there''s both sides of the coin--those who have used it and are happy and those who feel it was the same as first. maybe it does also depend on origination and destination? who really knows!?!!?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 3
6.gif
7:30 AM
Author: Mara
PM was doable for registered/insured and should be faster, aka no more than 4 days...who really knows!?!!?
I know that the last package I sent priority registered cross country took six.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
7:30 AM
Author: Mara
i was in the PO today picking up some piority mail stamps for a work-related mailing, and asked the gal at the counter what she thought..she said that PM was doable for registered/insured and should be faster, aka no more than 4 days.

very interesting..seems there''s both sides of the coin--those who have used it and are happy and those who feel it was the same as first. maybe it does also depend on origination and destination? who really knows!?!!?
Well, my postmaster told me the same thing. She was shocked about how long my two packages took. She asked the postmaster on the other end at the time. She was more vetern in this type of shipping. She said exactly as elmo & scapel said. Registered mail is handled in a different way than reg priority or reg mail. It is in it''s own special sack & is registered when it goes from post office to post office. Then, it is locked in the vault until it''s next journey.

It all has to do with location to location. It''s all about the routing system. It would not surprise me that coast to coast reg. mail would get there faster than south to north. The mail is flown coast to coast. N-S is usually trucked.

At the end of the day, the USPS has their own brain. I receive between 5-10 packages a week - with various USPS shipping methods. Priority w/ no insurance gets here the quickest. But, go figure - when I mail something from my little country post office it gets to it''s destination much quicker than if I mail it from the city or county P.O.''s. One would think the reverse.

I''m still feelin the love for the boxes. A couple years back, their design was prone to collaspe. Since then, the have redesigned their boxes. Part of the redesign was to print Priority mail on the inside as well. So many people were taking the boxes, reversing them & using them to mail UPS & 1st class parcels.
It''s still the best way to ship. I''ve had UPS leave expensive packages at my front door. Fed ex will not guarantee delivery to certain zips. We have a two day guarantee delivery here instead of the next day.

Bottom line, registered mail is the safest way to ship an expensive package. Glaucok is correct. They will only insure up to 25k. Also, it has to be taped w/ white tape all around.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
When I shipped my diamond back to Whiteflash last May, I specifically asked the post office if there was a more rapid option available.

The clerk explained that even if I paid for the priority option, it wouldn''t move any faster because insured packages are physically locked up when they are not moving.

While the USPS may be showing this option on their website, I agree that it''s just a way to cull more money.....it''s likely the packages won''t move any faster.

On the upside, I will say that my package moved quickly. I went to the post office here in Massachusetts on a Friday during the noon lunch hour, and my ring was received in Houston at Whiteflash that Tuesday.

Based on that, I think it''s more likely to stay moving and on the road over a weekend than during the week. I can see where priority/overnight mail that MUST be delivered would take top priority during the business week, and insured packages would be second-string. Over the weekend, though, they have a bit more breathing room.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The priority mail boxes supplied are very nice for consumers. Most jewelers have other boxes available. The minimum $3.85 fee for priority mail is not worth the extra cost on light weight packages that might well ship for 3 or 4 ounce rates of $0.83 or $1.06....The added cost of insurance on Registered Mail is the same for Priority or regular first class. Delivery time is identical in spite of what is being advertised.

So, if it makes you feel good, or if you like the nice little red/white and blue box, or if you want the package to look more important, use Priority. If you want to spend less and not worry about appearances, the regular rate will do just the same for a buck or two less. Its nice to have choices and I will say I have used both methods depending on what appearance I wanted to give to the individual package. Priority Mail implies TIME is an element or that the package is of IMPORTANCE. Regular mail implies the enclosed is sort of regular or normal in importance and that time is not so much an element. In the cold light of day, it is appearance and not any material difference....Marketing 101.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I really think it depends where it''s going. I can mail something 1st class to DC and it arrives 2-4 days. Priority has never taken more than a day if I mail it in the morning before 11
6.gif
0 (when the mail is picked up). It''s pretty reliable.

The worst was during that Anthrax scare. My friend had bills delayed a month & didn''t know it.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I sit on a postal council board and there is currently a lot of confusion over the registered/insured plus priority mail within the postal system itself. It is supposed to be faster, but the reality is that if the route your package needs to go does not have enough packages that are also registed & priority, the post office errs on the side of including it with the registered/insured bag so that it is locked up and safe. The idea is that it is better to be a little bit slower and safe than have the registered/insured packaged get mixed in with the regular priority mail and not be locked up. They are looking at ways to improve this as they very much want to compete with DHL, Fed Ex and UPS.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember when I shipped my Regent to GOG from CA to NY, it took SEVEN days. I was freaking out since they had told me something like 5 at the PO.

When I shipped my diamond ring to WF last year, I used FedEx Priority Next AM with no insurance because I had the ring insured through Chubb and figured that it would be safer going next AM (leaving facility at 6pm and traveling til ~9am) with less TIME for people to do anything to it than on a 7 day route.

It's tough mentally, aka the next AM seems safer though maybe it is not, and while that whole 'they lock up your packages' type thing maybe makes you feel safer, it does not for me since to me that just screams to a thief that your package is valuable.

Tough call! I soooo wish that FedEx or UPS would allow you to insure for more than they do now..what is the cap, $1k? I would really prefer to use a next AM type thing the next time I ship AND have it insured.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
For Fed ex the cap was $500.00 for jewelry. I don''t know if that has gone up.

Curious, will the insurance company pay out if the ring was lost in shipment? I''ve never asked.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fed-Ex has a $500 limit on any coverage, BUT JEWELRY IS NOT COVERED>....Be careful.

UPS has insurance available to consumers on jewelry into very high numbers, but NOT FOR UNSET GEMSTONES.....They will not even accept unset stones, or ones in temporary, spring clip mountings, from consumers....And fraudulently sent merchandise will not be insured if there is a loss.....

Jewelers carry special coverage that works along with Fed-Ex or UPS to insure jewelry and/or unset gemstones. Consumers must be aware that this is a different program that they have no access to as individual shippers.

The only way for a consumer to ship an unset diamond or colored stone is with USPS. If there is a loss, the burden of proof of value belongs to the consumer. You won't get a check from your government unless you can show proper value proof regardless of what the package was insured for. If you underinsured the package, to save money or out of ignorance, it will cost you part or all of the coverage that you thought you bought. So again, be vigilant when you ship things.

Garry: I wasn't born cynical, but my mother was a criminal lawyer who made me look at the many sides of every "issue". My father was an Ivy League business graduate who never saw things as black or white. He always took the time to look at all the solutions and played the devil's advocate with me. Personally, I love to take gambles and risks, but I just know better than to do it frequently. I sure don't advise consumers to take chances when safety is more important. I suppose I am a very positive cynic, if there is such an animal. A cynic who looks on the bright side whenever possible, but one who sees the harsh reality the average person is forced to deal with.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found this out the hard way today:
When you mail anything insured through USPS it has to be wrapped and sealed in ONLY PAPER TAPE. I had to completely dismantle my packing and redo it so I could use papertape in a manner that would stick.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 1
6.gif
1:17 PM
Author: oldminer
Fed-Ex has a $500 limit on any coverage, BUT JEWELRY IS NOT COVERED>....Be careful.

UPS has insurance available to consumers on jewelry into very high numbers, but NOT FOR UNSET GEMSTONES.....They will not even accept unset stones, or ones in temporary, spring clip mountings, from consumers....And fraudulently sent merchandise will not be insured if there is a loss.....

Jewelers carry special coverage that works along with Fed-Ex or UPS to insure jewelry and/or unset gemstones. Consumers must be aware that this is a different program that they have no access to as individual shippers.

Yes, after I typed that I realized that it was on regular stuff & not jewelry. The fed ex place did insure my package for $500.00. They were negliable in asking what it was. This was a while back & ignorance was bliss. The package did get there safely. So, I never had to test their claims.

I shipped a diamond ring to a craftsman via UPS - years and years ago. I didn''t really give it much thought (young and stupid). When I brought it to the UPS place, they asked me what it was. I had to undo the package to show them that it did contain the ring.

If you own a business, you can get shipper''s insurance. Do jewelers in particular have a special plan?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thes are special plans outside of the carriers, but working along with them under contract. Parcel Pro and One Service are two of them and maybe there are some others, too. I think they only work with the jewelry business.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
6.gif
8 PM
Author: oldminer
Thes are special plans outside of the carriers, but working along with them under contract. Parcel Pro and One Service are two of them and maybe there are some others, too. I think they only work with the jewelry business.
I''ll have to ask my business partner. He has shipper''s insurance. We don''t ship only jewelry. And, there was debate whether, even if I used his fed ex shipper number, whether the package was covered since he techincally wasn''t the one shipping. He insists that it''s covered - kinda like the automobile has insurance. It''s been a non issue lately.

I did have a bad experience w/ USPS & regular priority. I had a bracelet shipped to me. It was back in the days when their boxes collasped & was easier to get into. I had it insured for 1k. When it arrived, I thought the box was light & something about it didn''t seem right. It was around the holidays and I didn''t want to open it in front of the Post officer & hold up the line. BIG MISTAKE! When I got home, I noticed that the tape had been slit. The box had clearly been opened and resealed. The bracelet was missing. I''ve bought things from the vendor before & never had any issue w/ the piece being in the box. Anyway, the claim was denied because the box did not show clear evidence of tampering (i.e. torn apart, etc.) They claimed that I could have slit the tape. An appeal was filed to no avail. I''ve heard some people get settlement with damage. I guess admitting that one of their own STOLE my bracelet was too much for them.

Since then, for anything over $750, I use registered. For items over 100.00, I insure for *only* $100.00. Gets their attention - but doesn''t warrant someone else''s attention. Has worked since.

Anyway, the best way to ship is to hand deliver or pick it up. I''ve known people who buy the object a seat.
9.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve used reg/ins 3 times to send my ring off. I was told it''s the safest way since it''s locked up at every destination. Yes paper tape is a must. I wouldn''t pay for the extra priority service since I was told it wouldn''t matter--the lock ups hold up the package no matter what. My PO staff was nice enough not to try and sell that to me because of that. Because I''m over the ocean the time factor is longer anyway. All the way to florida it took nearly 7 days. To/from WA state, 3 or 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results