shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrades... how much of an increase in size "shows"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Since DH and I have been discussing an upgrade in my stone size after 10 years of wedded bliss
9.gif
, I''ve been wondering if a half carat size increase is readily apparent? Looking at the "actual size" charts on some diamond websites, I''m not so sure going from a 1.0 to a 1.5 will be very noticeable??? We have also been talking about a color upgrade too-- I have an H and DH likes the idea of an F. My eventual goal is a 2.5 range size... maybe for our 20th anniversary.
3.gif

Funny how I''m totally sentimental about everything in life *except* keeping the actual diamond that DH proposed with.
30.gif

PS I hope this question isn''t too "ICY WHITE DIAMONDS!-ish" LOL That thread cracked me up. I made sure to avoid all caps.
11.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
bluedawg, check out Mara''s thread about the new home for a 1.6 J (I think it''s in SMTR)....some GREAT shots of her upgrade there--it''s an almost .5 ct increase, and the difference is spectacular!!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Check out this visual.

I''m all for the upgrading- have fun.
11.gif

KeepUP.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
blue...the jump from 1c to 1.5c will be HUGE!

consider this. a 1c stone has a 6.5mm. a 1.5c stone has a 7.4mm. (well-cut stones of course)

that is almost a 1mm jump.

the picture that sevens posted of my upgrade was of a 7.1mm stone upgrade to a 7.6mm stone. it is the two pictures on the right there (NOT the 'things to come'...that is a mockup of a 3c! hehee)...

the image shows it pretty well, i had a half MM jump, and only a .31c jump but it looks very significant on my hand. We noticed it RIGHT AWAY when we got it and i marvel at how much larger it looks.

So imagine what a FULL MM jump would be like! HUGE!
31.gif

not sure if this helps you make a decision but the difference WILL be noticeable, that is guaranteed!

good luck!
2.gif

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for those pics. Yeah, I can see the change in a .3+ upgrade. What is the carat size in the "things to come" shot, though? :D

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
"ICY WHITE DIAMONDS!
aaaagh!
23.gif

i think you will notice the difference.........and you will like it!!!
3.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I know Mara is thrilled with her new stone, but for me, personally, I didn''t see enough of a difference if it wasn''t a full carat size increase. I think you have to look and decide for yourself. I had a 1.51, and going to 2 ct. didn''t do it for me. It took seeing a 2.5 to see a difference to make it worthwhile. (Then I just went crazy and said go for the 3 carat, which of course, turned into the 3.29 ct., so I''m a bad person to ask....)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2005 10:47:30 PM
Author: Mara
VALERIA...you are the queen of scaling!!
This must be the weirdest thing I've ever been called !
9.gif

anyway... 'guess what I was actually doing in the meantime
12.gif

(used Paint, which scales images based on diameter - so the 1 carat turned into 1.5 with a 1.38 magnification gactor, exactly. Other software might use area-bease scaling.)

ouch.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooooooh the 1.5ct looks much bigger!!!

(and better prepared to defend itself against those killer prongs!
23.gif
)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2005 10:51:43 PM
Author: headlight

I had a 1.51, and going to 2 ct. didn''t do it for me. It took seeing a 2.5 to see a difference to make it worthwhile.
Well, the more carats you start with, the more you need to add to make the same diameter increase. Between 1 carat and 1.5 there''s about as much of a jump as between 1.5 and 2.5 - no justice at all.

My mock picture could have been just as well one of a 2.5 cts next to a 1.5
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe so mine was a little off..
9.gif

i use photoshop which uses cm for image sizing, and then a drag and drop or a type in method...paint sounds much more accurate!! less calculations.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I want an upgrade from a .95 to a 1.5, but I''ve got a long way to our ten year anniversary. We haven''t even gotten married yet.
8.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluedawg
go for it,thats 9/10 of a mm increase in diameter
23.gif

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

You guys are awesome! I love the graphics. Yes, I can def. see a major difference! And, oh... that 2 carat is looking so nice...
11.gif

I will let you all know as soon as we start shopping. Should be really fun-- especially after learning so much more from PS.

phawk

Rough_Rock
Hi Bluedawg! I just went shopping w/ my BF last weekend and I tried on diamond of all sizes. I DEFINITELY saw a different between 1.0ct and 1.5ct! The jeweler started by showing me a 1.0ct and a 1.5ct. When laying next to eachother, the size difference is not that significant. However, when I put them on my finger- the difference is size was pretty apparent. Anyways, hope this helps!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
hi!
i just upgraded from a 1.07 to a 1.52 and I noticed a big difference in the size. Im a size 5.75 and the 1 ct felt "lost" on my finger but the 1.52 feels more proportional. Not 2.5 carat proportional
31.gif
(maybe in 5 years for an anniversary) but the difference to me was huge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results