shape
carat
color
clarity

to recut or not to recut (Kelli, are you out there?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i received a very reasonable quote from lesley with BGD to have my diamond recut, but now i''m debating whether to have it done or not for two reasons:

1- i love my current setting and i''m afraid that it may not be reusable after the makeover depending on how much needed to be cut

2- i do not want to upset my FI, i know he did plenty of legwork looking for what he thought was the perfect diamond

like Kelli, i also have a GIA EX, steep deep diamond, awhile back i posted about my poor HCA score and at the time, i tried to look passed it, but i started to see the dark center that Kelli mentioned in her thread, so i decided to contact lesley

i want to jump at the chance at getting my diamond made over at such a reasonable price, but i guess i just want to hear some input from others, is it worth doing?

thank you for reading and any comments would he helpful
1.gif

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely check with your FI about this before proceeding.

Regarding the setting, and how much the stone needs to be cut, BGD will be able to tell you that. But given that your original stone is a high crown, deep pavilion stone, I suspect that there will not be decrease in stone diameter, just a decrease in the depth of the pavilion. BGD should be better able to advise you on that.

But definitely check with your FI.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2009 11:54:56 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
Definitely check with your FI about this before proceeding.

Regarding the setting, and how much the stone needs to be cut, BGD will be able to tell you that. But given that your original stone is a high crown, deep pavilion stone, I suspect that there will not be decrease in stone diameter, just a decrease in the depth of the pavilion. BGD should be better able to advise you on that.

But definitely check with your FI.
thank you, stone-cold11, i sent my GIA report as well as a photo of my diamond to lesley, i am currently waiting for comments from brian, i may try to call next week, so i can talk to him directly about what needs to be done

i have mentioned my desire to get my diamond recut with my FI previously, but he didn't understand why i would want my GIA EX recut, he assumes the GIA EX automatically means it performs well, he just doesn't see what i see because i'm the one who wears it

i'm making sure i do my research on the price, what needs to be done and the risks prior to bringing it up to FI again, so he can understand the complete story, my wedding is coming up, so i will probably wait until after that to have it done, i am gathering information until then

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
the other thing that bugs me is i found out how much FI paid for the diamond and it makes me sad that he paid so much for it and it does not perform as well as it could, if i can spend within the hundreds to improve it, i just want to do it, but not without knowing all the risks of course

do you think i''m being unreasonable in my thinking?

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Kelli, if you are out there, i checked out your before pictures and my diamond doesn''t even come close to yours, the GIA report even says H&A on it and although i can kind of see them IRL, i''ve never been able to photograph them like you, the ring of death just shows up everytime i take a photo
7.gif
it could be a combination of poor lighting and a not so good camera, but i don''t know
39.gif

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA does not grade if a stone is H&A, it just comment that it found a H&A inscription on the girdle of the stone, probably inscribe by the cutter.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ask Brian, he is the expert and will be able to advise you on weight loss, possible outcomes and risk etc. Yes if things work out to me it could be worth doing but chat to Brian and see what he says.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/6/2009 4:14:40 AM
Author: Lorelei
Just ask Brian, he is the expert and will be able to advise you on weight loss, possible outcomes and risk etc. Yes if things work out to me it could be worth doing but chat to Brian and see what he says.
thanks, lorelei. i have emailed lesley to find out if brian has had a chance to look at my gia certificate and when the best time to contact him would be, i''ll see how it goes from there

i like your new avatar, i keep thinking ''bok bok bok'' a la cadbury easter commercial
3.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/5/2009 11:47:28 AM
Author: ficklefaye
here is my thread regarding my poor HCA score with my diamonds specs: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/4-8-hca-score-on-triple-ex-gia-diamond.112889/
Hi Faye,
It is very likely only the pavilion may need repolishing and no loss of diameter would result (can''t say without more info - but it is very likley).

I always like to add at this point that trying to achieve the standards that specialty cutters might impose on their own merchandise can be impractical for re-cuts. So unless you want / must have a mind clean cut / perfect H&A''s etc - then go for the best bang with the least weight loss.

e.g. we did a big re-cut last week - 3.61ct 10.1mm down to 3.18ct 9.7mm with a very shallow 71% table stone. To make it perfect it would have been about 2.7ct (horrible symmetry problems too).
We recomended a ''good'' symmetry slightly shallow stone with very shallow crown and slightly deep pavilion and the result is fantastic as long as you do not use a H&A''s viewer. No leakage problems, but porr sym thru Ideal-scope. but then the stone is L I1.
here is a before shot. Let me know if you want to see an after.

3.61 before recutting.jpg

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
garry, thank you very much for your input, i made sure to include your advice from my original thread about only shaving the pavilion angle by 0.5% when i emailed BGD, as i value your opinion as well

i don''t want to modify it too much as i still want to keep it close to its original weight, but i would also like to get rid of the dark ring
7.gif
, do you think the slight modification to the pavilion angle will help this? i know it will bring it under the 41% angle which seems to be the magic number i''ve been seeing on other posts

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
oh and i am interested in seeing the after picture of that diamond
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Only a tiny bit off the pavilion will make a big difference Faye

Date: 9/7/2009 12:36:32 AM
Author: ficklefaye
oh and i am interested in seeing the after picture of that diamond
9.gif
Sorry for the lousy picture - my set up is not good on plus 1.5ct stones.
The stone is slightly shallow, but for +45 year olds it works really well - and we wanted to get it back in the same setting.

3.18ct after.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a great improvement Garry.
emthup.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/7/2009 6:58:48 AM
emthup.gif
Thanks Lorelei - the point is that we place a lot of pressure on people to have a text book perfect re-cut and sometimes that destroys value unless someone really wants a back door buy in to a special brand that gives them great personal value.

And frankly I need to tell you: the rabbit does not do it for me!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/7/2009 7:17:31 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 9/7/2009 6:58:48 AM
emthup.gif
Thanks Lorelei - the point is that we place a lot of pressure on people to have a text book perfect re-cut and sometimes that destroys value unless someone really wants a back door buy in to a special brand that gives them great personal value.

And frankly I need to tell you: the rabbit does not do it for me!
Good point Garry and something that needs to be kept in mind.

Sorry you don''t like my rabbit
39.gif
, but never fear it won''t be long till I start using my sparkly Christmas tree again....
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results