shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany via Ebay: Obtaining Tiffany authentication/valuation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bitsycook

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is my first post, although I have browsed and searched the forums quite a bit. I''m hoping you all might be able to share your expertise and knowledge with me.

I just purchased a Tiffany Lucida from Ebay and am now planning to send it to Tiffany for authentication. I talked with the seller before buying, and I wrote into my offer that if Tiffany does not/cannot verify authenticity, that I can return it for a full refund, and that I will not be limited to their stated 3 day return policy. (Now I realize escrow would have been smart, but it''s too late for that.)

My first question is: What should I say to Tiffany so that they will provide the valuation? It seems that people say vaguely that they received the ring as a gift and need insurance valuation. Is that all I need to say?

Second question: Does anything about this auction/purchase/ring/seller seem fishy to you?

I got the ring yesterday and it is absolutely gorgeous! I love it and am really hoping this all works out.

Here is a link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230367089067

Quick background: I had a Lucida that we bought from Tiffany in 2001. My toddler lost it 2 years ago (yes, obviously my fault), and I finally filed with the insurance company to replace it. My original ring was an E, VVS1, .89 Lucida. We paid $11,700 for it. I received $14,300 from the insurance company, as this is now the replacement cost.
6.gif

I went back to Tiffany last week and looked at similar rings to the one I had, and slightly larger. I saw an F, VS1 (I believe), 1.08 that was tagged $26,600. (Yikes!)

I decided to take a chance on the Ebay ring because it seemed like a good deal. The seller said he bought it 4 years ago. He has a store in Scottsdale, where I happen to be going next week, and he said we could come in to take a look at it. After seeing the rings at Tiffany, I decided to get it now and then can return it to him in person on Monday if need be.

The appraisal is displayed in the listing.

Thanks so much in advance for sharing your thoughts!

sparxs111

Shiny_Rock
I guess just go and talk to tiffany and let them know what you want. The other thing you can do is to just go to an independent appraiser and make sure the diamond is real and the specs that you were sold originally.

You will find on this site that ebay is not looked highly favoured and almost everyone will say to stay away from ebay purchases. However, every now and then someone gets a good deal but it is very rare.

So 1, take it to an independent appraiser, or 2 take it to tiffany as soon as possible so you can confirm the authenticity! But just ask tiffany and they will more than likely send it away...

good luck

bitsycook

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the reply!

Would you value an independent appraiser over a valuation directly from Tiffany?

Do you think the appraisal provided has any value?

Thanks again. Sorry for the rookie questions!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I got a Tiffany ring from Signedpieces, what I did was go to Tiffany and have them give me an appraisal for insurance purposes. It cost $100. They did try to look up my fiance''s name, of course he wasn''t in there, but it really wasn''t a big deal. I just said maybe his parents bought it.... You could always hedge and say it was given to you by a relative or something or your husband, they''ll do the appraisal. Personally, I felt better having Tiffany appraise it, even though maybe with other appraisals you get more detail for your money.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An appraisal from Tiffany serves much better as an authentication that it’s Tiffany work than appraisal from anyone else. If that''s your objective and one of their stores is nearby, get it directly from them. What to tell them? “Hi, I would like this ring appraised for insurance purposes please. Thanks.”

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

bitsycook

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Thanks so much for your input. I was worried about what to say to Tiffany, because I had read about Tiffany refusing to do valuations when told that Ebay was involved.

But I dropped the ring off there last night and had no problems. They did a preliminary inspection and checked the number engraved in the ring with their database; it apparently passed the initial screening and also was verified to be a diamond. We''ll see what they come back with!

Thanks again!

Elizabeth

PK42

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 5:56:41 PM
Author: winternight
I got a Tiffany ring from Signedpieces, what I did was go to Tiffany and have them give me an appraisal for insurance purposes. It cost $100. They did try to look up my fiance''s name, of course he wasn''t in there, but it really wasn''t a big deal. I just said maybe his parents bought it.... You could always hedge and say it was given to you by a relative or something or your husband, they''ll do the appraisal. Personally, I felt better having Tiffany appraise it, even though maybe with other appraisals you get more detail for your money.
I have also recently bought a Tiffany ring off eBay - not had the chance to visit a Tiffany store yet though. I have all the original documentation etc that came with it when it was new - the valuation has the previous owner''s name and address on it. If I was to get a new valuation would it have no name and address on it, or could they put my bf''s name and address on it? (its a bit odd getting it insured with someone else''s details on the appraisal isn''t it?) What did your new appraisal look like?

Thanks

And bitsycook - that Lucida looks gorgeous!
30.gif

PK42

Rough_Rock
Reviving an old thread, but we took my ring to Tiffany. They are doing a new valuation and putting it in my bf''s name for £100 (its also being downsized, but the receipt says 0.00 for that, so I assume the charge is just for the valuation)

Off topic - I''m trying to post in an old thread I made, but can''t! Is it cos its too old now?

bitsycook

Rough_Rock
Hi PK,

Sorry, I just saw your reply. Did you get your valuation back yet? Hope it went smoothly!

An update on my situation: the GIA report had said the stone was an E. Well, Tiffany said it was an H! They verified that from the original sale (by checking the # engraved in the ring) and also re-evaluated it. So obviously the value was much lower than claimed.

The seller was wonderful to work with; I returned the ring for a full refund, and he even bought the valuation report from me. Now he has relisted the ring with the correct designation of H.

In the meantime, I''ve kept my eye out for others. I feel like I have a good feel now for reputable sellers, and am strongly considering a Lucida that''s currently listed. We''ll see!

I also hadn''t realized previously that if you just pay with PayPal, you would be fully covered if a ring that was claimed to be Tiffany turned out not to be authentic. So that is a great backup too.

Best of luck with your ring! :)

bitsycook

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results