shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany have damaged my ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

morelo

Rough_Rock
I sent my 2.53ct sapphire and diamond Tiffany ring to be resized, unfortunately they scratched the sapphire,and have replaced it with a 2.83ct sapphire of "similar" quality (so I''m informed). Tiffanys now want to send the ring back to me, however I''m unsure if I should just accept this. The ring had a recent appraisal for $16,000 and was bought in 1998 from Tiffanys in New York.
33.gif
Advice please.

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
I cannot imagine that there would be a real problem. Tiffany quality is Tiffany quality.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I'd have the ring sent back to me, but for approval only. I'd be sure it was understood by Tiffany that I won't "accept" the replacement until I've seen it with my own eyes, and like it.

If the first sapphire was certified, I'd insist on papers on the second one, too.

widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any way to make the acceptance contingent on your actually seeing the sapphire? It may be great & all, but then... you should have the same opportunity to choose to like one piece over another as one would in their shop. Isn''t that the whole point of great shopping? Tiffany does no offer such items online (i.e. sight unseen), so they shouldn''t make you accept what they think is inapropriate for all other customers
2.gif

All in all, perhaps they can extend some return policy on this particlar transaction. I''d ask, if there isn''t one offered already...

Just a thought.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I am so sorry! They damaged a couple of my engagement rings and damaged their own replacement. They don''t employ anyone worth a crap. yes, Rash and sweeping statement but I dealt with a LOT of completely incompetent idiots.

I hope you find this to be of YOUR quality standards and make sure that you stick to your guns if you are not happy with their selection. Seek legal advice as well, this is something they need to make right.

I wish I could be more comforting but this doesn''t surprise me a single iota. They suck. I hate Tiffany''s.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is not the first time we have heard of Tiffany''s customer service or similar lacking...it just goes to show they are human like anyone else and should not be put on a pedestal.

I agree with the others re: contingent upon your approval..and specifying somewhere in writing that you want to see this first before you ''accept'' it.

I hope the new sapphire is beautiful, good luck!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if this was mentioned but DEMAND your old sapphire back. Or at least SEE it before you accept the replacement.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would demand papers for the new stone and only take it back if it meets your approval. That''s a real shame and I''m sorry to hear this. Please keep us informed on what they say and what happens. I wonder how badly scratched the sapphire is. They won''t let you see it???

morelo

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I feel much more confident now to deal with Tiffanys tomorrow. I''ll let you know how I get on.
I think it''s more difficult with a coloured stone as there dosen''t seem to be any accepted grading as there is with diamonds. If I can''t get them to send the ring to me to see first, I''ll try asking them to send both the ring and the damaged stone for an independent assessment.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds good, let us know!!! Good luck!!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I would insist upon an independent appraisal as well. I would have them send both the damaged sapphire as well as their replacement and have the appraiser tell you whether or not it is a worthy replacement or if Tiffany''s should keep looking. BTW, I would only view the ring with the replacement in the presence of the appraiser. You don''t want to take delivery of a ring that you may decide is not acceptable only to be accused of switching stones on them.
11.gif

Shay

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t really have anything to add (everyone gave you such a great advice) I just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow at Tiffany''s!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I''m so sorry to hear about this.

Would there be any way to get the old sapphire back in addition to getting the new one?

Was this your engagement ring?

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
One more thing you might want to ask is heat treatment or natural color disclosure. Untreated sapphire is more valuable than heat treated. Was this mentioned when you purchased the sapphire initially?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2005 1:18:24 PM
Author: ame
I don''t know if this was mentioned but DEMAND your old sapphire back. Or at least SEE it before you accept the replacement.
Regarding getting the original sapphire back, I cannot say for certain if the OP CAN get hers back, but yesterday when I took my Tiffany necklace in for repair, I had to sign a form that included in the terms, "all replacement parts are returned to you upon request, with the exception of those parts that are retained by a warranty or parts program." My guess it that somehow the orginal sapphire IS one of the exceptions (unfortunetly).

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Of course every ring and stone represents a different case and scenario, however I am sure that, since they acknowledged their responsability concerning the sapphore''s damage, they will provide you with a comparable or better quality stone. I would insist on seeing the stone in person, as Ana wisely pointed out: every stone is different, and just like you picked out that particular sapphire because it ''''sang'''' to you, they should allow you to make a conscious decision this time, as well.
2.gif

morelo

Rough_Rock
Tiffany will send me the damaged sapphire so I can compare the colour with the replacement. They have also agreed to send the ring on approval and if I''m not satisfied I can return it.
A new appraisal for $16050 will issued.According toTiffanys a similar non heated stone would cost at least $25000, however I would like to have this confirmed, does anyone know if this is easy to do?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the things you generally can expect from the few stores at the level of Tiffany & Co is decent service when they are responsible for a problem. They surely prefer to handle things properly the first time, but stuff happens, even to these high end places. It sounds as if they are meeting your needs for a satisfactory end result. No place has a 100% customer satisfaction rate. Your demand for service sounds as if it is being honored.

If there are lingering issues, AGA can assist you in the appraisal and comparison process. So could some of the many other Independent appraisers who frequent Pricescope. Not all of the appraisers here can handle colored gems as well as they might handle diamond grading work. Each appraiser has areas of greater or lesser knowledge. If you need help, it is available.

Best of luck with the process. I think you are on the right track, so far.

wildkardde

Rough_Rock
Tiffany''s shoulnd''t give you any trouble. It would not make good business sense.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 5:33:57 PM
Author: wildkardde
Tiffany''s shoulnd''t give you any trouble. It would not make good business sense.

It must be Friday!!!
11.gif
11.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 5:06:00 PM
Author: oldminer
One of the things you generally can expect from the few stores at the level of Tiffany & Co is decent service when they are responsible for a problem. They surely prefer to handle things properly the first time, but stuff happens, even to these high end places. It sounds as if they are meeting your needs for a satisfactory end result. No place has a 100% customer satisfaction rate. Your demand for service sounds as if it is being honored.

If there are lingering issues, AGA can assist you in the appraisal and comparison process. So could some of the many other Independent appraisers who frequent Pricescope. Not all of the appraisers here can handle colored gems as well as they might handle diamond grading work. Each appraiser has areas of greater or lesser knowledge. If you need help, it is available.

Best of luck with the process. I think you are on the right track, so far.
Considering I had NUMEROUS problems with them where THEY were responsible, I wouldn''t be the least bit surprised if they treat her like dirt. They treated us like dirt and tried to blame their carelessness on us, even though we never once removed the items we tried purchasing from the stores!

It makes plenty of business sense for them to not give a hoot, they are a huge company, they can blow off a BBB claim and pretty much did, 3 times, and word of mouth isnt giong to shut them down.

I truly hope you get a FAIR replacement and if your stone was not heat treated, they shouldn''t be replacing it withsomething that is.

morelo

Rough_Rock
Well just to keep you all up to date with this saga, I still haven''t got my ring.
The manager is trying to locate it. I hope it turns up soon, I''m trying hard to keep calm.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!!!! They lost it now?
29.gif
29.gif

shay

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
OH HEYL NO! After all this they should be offering you something for your troubles.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I can''t believe they lost your ring!!!! They do need to give you something because you were inconvenienced!!!
29.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Please say this is some kind of cruel joke!!! If they do not locate that ring I would demand the sun, the moon, and the stars
29.gif
29.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They lost your ring??? Oh no!! I hope they find it ASAP!!!

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Gee, I think I would be so angry, I would have an out of body experience!

I, too, would demand the sun, moon and stars...this is crazy.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my, i can''t believe they lost it
23.gif

well, i''d sure get ready for a free upgrade on Tiffany''s
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results