shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Single Stone's Olivia

Storms8

Rough_Rock
Has anyone seen the new eternity band at Single Stone called the Olivia? I tried it on yesterday and it was so (so! sooooooo!!!!) beautiful. :dance: :love: :cheeky: I perfectly complemented my VC antique cushion solitaire--didn't overpower while still doing my diamond justice. I can't believe how amazing it was--the french cut diamonds were soooo sparkly, and the geometric shape of the band segments just... worked! Unfortunately, it is so supremely (extremely) out of my wedding band budget (by at least . . . 3 to 5x?), that my heart is quite sad inside. :wall:

Gypsy--I blame you for telling me about Single Stone! :angryfire: :love:

Just looking for PSers to help talk me off a ledge. :tongue:

Imagine this in rose gold stacked with a cushion solitaire:

561_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I won't talk you off this ledge! Lol

I think if this is going to be your wedding band, for real and forever, pay the money for it. You'll wear it more than your e ring, most likely, particularly if you have kids or like to travel .

If this is a ring you'll replace down the line, I wouldn't buy it, but if this is "the" wedding band, seems justifiable to me. Just keep telling yourself "cost per wear!!" :lol:

If its absolutely out of budget you shouldn't have tried it on! Lol. But go look for similar ones elsewhere. Erika winters, cvb make French cut wedding bands, or find a vintage one

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo! I love it!!! get it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, there is just something amazing about Single Stone :love:
I would ask a quote from David Klass to make you a similar band

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here's the link to the SS Olivia in case anyone else wants to take a look - _https://www.singlestone.com/_dev201504/single-stone-collection_c2/olivia_p561/

Honestly I think that is a simply gorgeous band - and I guess PS has affected my sensibilities as I don't think $5K is outrageous for a handcrafted Platinum 0.54ctw French-cut diamond band with 27 stones... (wow, did I just say that?!)

OP - any chance you know the width and height of the Olivia?

Storms8

Rough_Rock
Oh boy. Thanks for the responses... responses that are convincing me towards the wrong direction :shifty:

Niel--you're absolutely right, but it was SOOOO new that I wasn't prepared with research on the price! I went in looking at one ring (a simple band that was more in my budget), that I've been dreaming about for the last couple months, but then Heather at SS popped this beauty in front of me!! I should have asked about $ before I tried it on. :doh: There are certainly worse problems in life...

Marymm--width is 2mm and the height is probably 1.8mm. It is a perfect low profile band and the width is similar to my solitaire width, which is why it looks like it's just meant.to.be! *sigh*

Thanks Acinom for the David Klass suggestion. I'm a little concerned asking for someone else to custom-make a ring after reading through Tangerine's experience in making something super exact ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-custom-cad-art-deco-eternity-ring.204246/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-custom-cad-art-deco-eternity-ring.204246/[/URL]). Have you had experience getting David to reproduce styles to your liking? I assume so since you're (and I've seen others on PS) recommending him. Do you know if he has a storefront that I can just go into?

Lastly--I'm also actually thinking of contacting SS to see if they can do a 1/3 eternity (just with 3 of these segments) at a better price. What do you guys think? Will it spin too much? I've seen some vintage rings in that style, but I've never tried them on to see how it wears/stays.

Hmmmm... maybe it just boils down to where in the wedding budget can I save $3500? :think:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you ask: I believe that straight copying is bound to end in misery. I am a believer of the 'inspired by' school. David Klass made a gorgeous version of a Single Stone band (same as yours but with OEC/RB's. It looks great to my eyes and I am sure he can make it with french cuts as well.

Till now I did not asked David to make an exact copy. I did ask ERD/BE to make an inspired version of a Single Stone ring that turned out great. As I said in my previous post though, there is is just something about the Single Stone signature style. Had money been no issue, I would have forked the 5.500 USD extra for the Single Stone ring but I was not prepared to do that.

If you can spare the extra pennies I would go for the Single Stone ring as I do believe nothing beats a true Single Stone. If you try to have an exact copy made you might regret it down the line. If you are satisfied with a 'gorgeous inspired by' version I would surely contact David. Not sure whether he has a store front? I am a long distant client from Europe.

Edit to add pics of the band David made for PSer SB

_30068.jpg

_30069.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You tried it on and no Hand Shots??? :-o so cruel!

It's stunning!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three words:

Fifth anniversary upgrade.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, some of the Erika Winters ones are stunning too!!! Most of the Singlestone rings, bands and settings are amazing.

Storms8

Rough_Rock
Oh wow! David's ring is that same SS ring!!! It is so pretty!!! Thanks for the words of advice (and the pics!), Acinom.

I was going to get a handshot, but Heather at SS hesitated when I asked if I could take a picture. I assumed she didn't want people copying the ring... even though they already have it on the website (??) so strange, now that I think of it. I mean...I'd certainly be drooling over it even more if I saw my diamond with their band daily on my phone. haha. :drool: :cheeky: :love: :love: :cheeky: :drool:

And good idea! Maybe 5 year anniversary. :dance: woo woo! Maybe David Klass...so that I can get it now... :tongue:
I'll still email Heather to see about the semi-eternity though, unless you guys have advice otherwise.

ERIKA WINTERS! I just saw her website (thanks for the lead!)--her bands are beautiful! Do you know if she has a storefront? I'm really not good with buying sight unseen...

Storms8

Rough_Rock
Oh, and I keep thinking about Niel's "cost per wear" as if it's a mantra. :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grace from Jewels by Grace has most of the EW bands you can try on.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful band but for myself, no way would I spend 5k on a little band.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just on SS this morning and noted that the prices on everything were quite high compared to other custom vendors here. I would not spend that kind of money on a band, but it is quite beautiful!

If I were doing this, I would have a band made that is inspired by it and I would have diamonds all the way around.
[I have 2 half-eternities that I love and am always checking to see if the stones are on top. I had sizing beads put in one to keep if from spinning, which works, but for me it is a little uncomfortable. Therefore, my "go-to" is a full eternity].

An exciting project ahead!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very pretty but I wouldn't spend that much on a thin, delicate band. I would have David Klass make one.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ my own experience with David Klass revealed his work was sub-par and his quality assurance process non-existent - of course that was just one project, with me - but the fact that he does/has done good work for others means nothing to me, since his work for me was unacceptable - and while I did receive a refund, I did not receive an apology or an explanation - so DK is not someone I personally would ever consider again, or recommend for that matter. My own take-away: sometimes you get what you pay for.

In terms of the $5K price of this SS 2mm FC band, last August VC quoted me slightly higher ($5.1K) for a 2.3mm FC eternity, ring size 5.5 -- so personally I do think the SS pricing is in line with other similar vendors of FC bands.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for singling me out and making me look foolish marymm, I appreciate it. There are many positive reviews of David's work here on PS. Sorry you had a bad experience. My opinion has not changed, I would not pay that amount of money for a thin band.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1431269397|3874779 said:
Thanks for singling me out and making me look foolish marymm, I appreciate it. There are many positive reviews of David's work here on PS. Sorry you had a bad experience. My opinion has not changed, I would not pay that amount of money for a thin band.

I extend my sincere apology to you junebug17; it certainly was not my intention to make you look foolish. As I wasn't replying per se to your prior post I didn't quote it but instead typed "^" in my own, to indicate my own post built off of topics raised in yours. I was trying to point out the SS pricing was in line with other similar vendors; and also that while DK has his enthusiasts, his work/customer service is not always what a PSer might expect. I was expressing my own opinion and experience, and I do not see where I negated or contradicted anything in your post. Again, apologies.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
This is no SS, but I think David can duplicate anything if you show him some photos. Here are mine- the band is a copy and costs 1/3 of the original and the yellow diamond setting came from my sketch and David's inputs/modifications. His workmanship and quality is far more superior than another vendor's that I used before.

_30091.jpg

redroze1

Shiny_Rock
Whoa violet phonenix your rings are stunning!!!

I can also attest to DK's workmanship. He made my ruby and diamond band. brilliantly engaged made a Single Stone copy of my ering and I am in love with it too.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
May I also add the suggestion of contacting Maytal Hannah. She hand-forged my platinum eternity ring (and e-ring) and I can tell you factually that there is no negative difference in quality between her work and SS. I have a store here that has the SS bands and I had my eternity and the SS eternity on at the same time to compare!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-maytal-hannah-antique-style-eternity-ring.212655/#post-3874807#p3874807']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-maytal-hannah-antique-style-eternity-ring.212655/#post-3874807#p3874807[/URL]

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Sarabear had DK make a very similar band and turned out beautifully.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marymm, I apologize to you as well, I was feeling a bit out of sorts this morning and I was a little overly sensitive. One of the good things about PS is hearing different viewpoints and experiences and they are all valuable and worthy of consideration.

So sorry for the threadjack Storms8! I wish you luck with your decision - I offered my opinion but as I have said before there's really no right or wrong when it comes to jewelry decisions like this. The band is beautiful and there is certainly nothing wrong with purchasing it if you truly love it and it will bring you a lot of joy. And this is your wedding band, so maybe it's worth it to splurge to get exactly what you want. Best wishes on your upcoming wedding!

Storms8

Rough_Rock
So I am now married!! (happily for 3 months!)

I ended up not going with any sort of eternity band partly because of the high cost for something I love or the low cost of something I wasn't crazy about.

However, the other more important part is that I found a band that was my parents' in my closet (I had stashed it away for safe keeping). When I saw it, I immediately tried it with my victor canera cushion and loved it.

I asked my mom if I could have this newly "found" ring as my wedding band and she approved!! Since the band hit the center stone of my engagement ring, I decided on getting a rose gold 2mm ring from e-wedding bands as a spacer. To me, the rose gold is the more important band of the two because it has our engravings in it. And, I always wear it, with or without the e-ring (extremely rare) or the other band.

Anyway, I am obviously very pleased with the whole situation that saved us a good chunk of change!! And still has good bling!!

What do you guys think? Does the rose go well with the plat?

(Ignore the yellow stargazer lily stains on my hands... :shifty: )

_993.jpeg

_994.jpeg

_995.jpeg

_992.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty, but it won't be very pretty after getting bent.

Those thin areas make it more vulernable to bending.

Even if a person wore one for a million years and tells us it didn't bend (sample size of one :roll: ), you can't argue with physics.

If you get it, baby it ... like those 1.5mm rings with melee on 3 sides. :((

screen_shot_2015-12-05_at_10.png

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would the depth and width of the ring not save it though and that the thinnest parts are wider at the base Kenny?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1449343094|3957953 said:
Would the depth and width of the ring not save it though and that the thinnest parts are wider at the base Kenny?

Two questions.
What do you mean by, "save it"?
What do you mean by, "the thinnest parts are wider at the base"? I believe in an end view (so you see a perfect circle) the entire ring is of the same thickness.

When it comes to the idea of, "save it" ...
There is no such thing as totally safe or totally unsafe.
It's just gradual shades of gray. (Not to mention the variable of how hard a person is on a ring).

But the following IS black and white:
Thiner is weaker.
Thicker is stronger.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
A ring is only as strong as its thinest point(s).
When a ring is thick (but has thin points) [this ring] it's weaker than if the entire ring were as thin as its thinest points.
The reason is leverage.
Pressure on the thick parts put extra strain on the thin parts.

This might help:
When visualizing mechanical durability exaggerate the design, image the wide parts were 10 times wider but the thin parts were the same.
Now don't those thin parts make it seem more vulnerable to bending there?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results