shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on I/J center stone set in H/I pave setting

dave999

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a 2 carat, I-color cushion cut diamond and just had it mounted. The loose diamond was appraised by Patrick Davis, and although the GIA cert says that the color is I, his opinion is that it's more of a J.
This makes me worry that any yellow color might show up compared to the H/I pave stones in the setting.
It seems to me that in certain lights, and certain pictures, I don't notice any different at all, but in some lights the color seems to stand out, but I'm not sure if it's because of the J color or just the lighting (all of my house lights have a yellow hue) or any other factors.
I would appreciate any thoughts that you guys have!

img_5321__1280x960_.jpg

img_5324__1280x960_.jpg

img_5336__1280x960_.jpg

img_5352__1280x960_.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not lighting. It's the difference between the VERY white light those TINY facets throw off versus the way the larger facets of the cushion are throwing off colored light and reflecting colors in the environment.
I have a GIA F asscher center and set in an F/G halo. In Nordstroms Cafe you'd think my stone is a K. It happens other places too.

Those tiny facets on the pave almost always white. The larger stone, especially a fancy like your (GORGEOUS!!!!!!) center stone throws off colors, reflects surrounding colors from the walls, the sky, your shirt and so forth all the time.

Also pay attention to what color shirt you are wearing when you see this. The color you see in the stone may just be because of those larger facets reflecting your shirt.

Also the white light return of the pave masks the body color of those stones. So all you see is white. The J center color is not being masked for a couple reasons. You can see the sides (and the sides will show the body color) and the stone IS an I. So it DOES have body color. And very few cushions have enough light return to completely mask color. Even excellent ones with great ASETs. You'd be looking at an AGS0 cushion to get that... And even then, it's going to have tint from the side and the large facets will reflect light differently than the pave.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Your diamond is gorgeous and goes perfectly with your side stones. Don't worry about color and just enjoy that beauty! It does NOT look yellow. I actually think it looks very white. Congrats on such a lovely ring!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it REALLY bugs you, reset it in a solitaire or a three stone with larger sides like baguettes or pears or trillions with I color. Then you won't have that issue because those all have larger facets.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, Gypsy gave some great information. Your ring is GORGEOUS period. I have a J 2 ct. mrb so I understand that slightly unsure feeling about color and higher colored stones. Even if you had a G/H center, the pave would still stand out as whiter and brighter. Melee tends to do that with their tinier facets. I feel the contrast will only enhance the fact that you have a real diamond ring and wouldn't bother me, but you and your intended can decide for yourself if the contrast bothers you. I just want to reassure you that your ring is beautiful and you don't need to feel shy about the color choices. But if it does, then change to another setting without pave.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You know, I'd probably be admiring your gorgeous cushion way too much to notice what colour the melee were :)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Dave, I don't even see a difference.. the ring is to die for gorgeous.. congratulations.. if the SO doesn't like it, reset it later.. wish it were mine! :)

dave999

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I feel a lot better about the ring and will be keeping it as is!

And thank you especially to Gypsy, if it weren't for your help and advice throughout the diamond search I would still be lost and overwhelmed and still looking! :)

garybloom

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a 2 carat, I-color cushion cut diamond and just had it mounted. The loose diamond was appraised by Patrick Davis, and although the GIA cert says that the color is I, his opinion is that it's more of a J.
This makes me worry that any yellow color might show up compared to the H/I pave stones in the setting.
It seems to me that in certain lights, and certain pictures, I don't notice any different at all, but in some lights the color seems to stand out, but I'm not sure if it's because of the J color or just the lighting (all of my house lights have a yellow hue) or any other factors.
I would appreciate any thoughts that you guys have!

---- Amazing STONE ! --- GIA certs are the industry standard and if it states "I" and "his" opinion is J.. well. I don't know who "he" is, but the GIA will stand up everytime, all over the world. Pave settings and different environments can make almost any stone below a G sometimes look a different color; but that is the unique aspect of every diamond, they are amazing stones in every situation.
Don't think too much about the "color". Do you love the stone? The story behind the decision/ person who it is connected to? After all, no one reads the certs. And no one will ever look at your stone and say (without a Loupe) "oh, that's a J"....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results