shape
carat
color
clarity

Thin to Extremely Thick Cushion Girdle a Problem?

johnpope76

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I've put a deposit on a 0.5 Carat GIA certificated Brilliant Cushion diamond for an engagement ring (set with a surround of smaller diamonds & rub-over tiffany-legacy style), certificate is here: https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=1116013640&weight=0.50

From my limited knowledge, the colour (D)/ clarity (VS2)/ table (65%)/ depth (63.2%) are all great for what I want, but having read up a bit more, I'm slightly worried about the girdle being "thin-extremely thick".

With the aforementioned characteristics, is it possible for the extremely thick sections of the girdle to cause issues on an otherwise well-appointed cushion diamond?

I don't have a photo to hand, any advice/ informed-opinion would be greatly appreciated!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You need to see a photo of the diamond, or see it in person which would be even better. The girdle is using up some of the otherwise visible size for the weight of the stone, but the diamond may look fine or may not. The report just does not provide the appearance info that you need.

johnpope76

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your fast reply Oldminer, I've seen the diamond in-person and it looked fine to me (but I'm a complete amateur), I'm just doubting myself now, having read about extremely thick girdles causing "fisheye" etc. Are such problems technically possible in this instance (given the depth/table)? I've done some further research and it seems "extremely thick" girdles aren't as uncommon as I first feared, I'm not worried about the weight it's taking up as the physical size was good. Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results