shape
carat
color
clarity

Sugg. for loupe type? What mag. to see laser inscription?tia

lrning

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

i just purchased a diamond in a simple solitaire setting. However, I am thinking of having it reset and would like to buy a good loupe to observe it and become acquainted with it before I sent it out to a jeweler (still do not know who or how I will go about this).

Can I see the laser inscription with this loupe 10X are there sets I can buy with higher magnification? What is the magnification you need on a loupe to see laser inscription?

Thanks!!

darkadam

Rough_Rock
Re: Sugg. for loupe type? What mag. to see laser inscription

From what i know, while it is possible to view the serial with a 10x loupe, it will be quiet difficult. Normally, a 10x loupe can be used for inspection and viewing inclusions, while a 20x loupe will be used to view the inscription.

Please note that for first timers, using a loupe and viewing the inscription might not be as simple as you think. Higher magnification lenses are generally harder to focus. Get a decent loupe such as those from Belomo, instead of those cheap loupes from ebay or amazon which may not function as advertised (Low quality glass, incorrect magnification scale etc) . You can consider getting a ring serial viewer as shown in the image below if you just want to view the serial of a set stone. Hope this helps :)

diamond_inscription_viewer_diamond_girdle_loupe_brand.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for posting that Darkadam. I've been looking at getting a stronger loupe lately and having trouble finding one that seemed decent and that I could believe was actually what they said it was.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

I bought both my 10x and 30x loupe at the flea market for $5 each. also amazon.com has them. Yes I can see the laser inscription on my studs with my 10x

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Get a 30x for that, if you can. That should give you clear view of the inscription. You can get a decent triplet 30x at a site like widgetsupply.com, and it has a nice little leather case for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results