shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong Fluorescence in ruby -a result of heat treatment or man made (cool pic inside)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Please see the picture. This rubies in this ring glow under UV light like crazy. Is it because these stones are treated wih heat? or is it because the are man-made material? Of what are other reasons? Thank you!

ZHU1020567.JPG

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
One more picture. Sorry I have no better quality picture to show how intensely they glow....

Zhu1020551.JPG

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Bump!
I am curious to know if ruby can really have such high amount of natural fluorescence?
If not what material was used to make it look this way?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ruby, unlike red spinel or garnet, does fluoresce to UV light. THis is one of the identifying characteristics of ruby. Burma reuby fluoresces more strongly than other varieties, in general, and that is opne of the reasons for Burma ruby to command a higher value as it looks more alive in sunlight than other red gems.

Fluorescence is not a characteristic which identifies synthetic, treated, heated, filled or otherwise doctored ruby.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
A very interesting online article (Ganoksin)I came across says "Synthetic rubies and emeralds both often glow brighter red than their natural counterparts. Both are much more transparent to 253.7 nm radiation than the naturals and this forms a test using contact immersion photography or by using apiece of (blue fluorescing) scheelite as an indicator. The suspect stone is placed over a hole in an opaque material with the scheelite below the stone and a short wave UV source above. If the scheelite fluoresces it is receiving light through the suspect stone and it is a synthetic stone. It should be noted that some new synthetics do not pass UV light. " This is why I wonder if the brightness is indicative something unnatural.

Source

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
UV fluorescence is not a definitive test which would answer your original question about identifying heat treated or synthetic rubies. It might be part of an entire battery of suggestive tests, but the real tests are far more objective and scientific.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rubies with high iron content don''t fluoresce those with out it can.
That is one of the things that set Burma rubies apart was the lack of iron.
Those with iron also can take on a brownish tinge.
This was once a quick test to show African from Burma but low iron rubies have been found elsewhere including Africa now.

Many synthetic rubies are made without iron so are more likely to fluoresce but it really tells you nothing conclusive.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all!
The world of gem is so rich. If the tuition wasn''t a crazy amount of 15K, I would love to become a graduate gemologist (for hobby)!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results