shape
carat
color
clarity

Stones getting loose on my french cut band. Advice please!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
To those who are interested, here's the thread to my story about how the band came about.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-dream-band-with-french-cut-diamonds.188782/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-dream-band-with-french-cut-diamonds.188782/[/URL]

A month or two ago, I went to another jeweler to have sizing beads put in the band because I am overprotective of those high crowned french cuts. I wanted something that kept the metal side down. It worked and he did a great job, but in passing said that four stones were loose and he had to tighten the setting.
I was grateful for him doing that and everything looked great. Because of this, I made it a habit to loupe and check the stones every couple of weeks because heaven forbid I loose a stone and then what? Get another french cut to put in there? ;( That would be a miracle.
Yesterday, I was checking and found four or five stones loose. By loose, I mean loose. As I said, I am overprotective and don't want to risk abrasions or chips if they rubbed against each other (they are in amazing condition for being true antique stones), so I took the band back in to the original jeweler.
I am so nervous. Is this normal and will I have to be an OCD checker for the duration I own this band? I love it, but don't think this is normal?
Any advise or suggestions on how to work/guide/make sure the correct procedure is taken in my dealings with the bench would be appreciated. The bench already has had to reset several stones b/c of a gap in the original band. I just don't want to get a band back that looks sloppy or that will be high maintenance.
Thanks!!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Re: Stones getting loose on my french cut band. Advice plea

Aren't you lucky, I just went through this with my french cut band! My french cut stones were so loose that they were sort of seesawing in the setting. You want to get them tightened as soon as possible because the diamonds are sawing and breaking down the setting. My ring is by Tiffany's so got it done by them for $100. It was an easy repair for them, I guess. I also had a quote for $50 from a reputable estate jeweler.

Yes, it's normal to need tightening on any eternity rings. I've had it done on two of my eternity rings now. They need servicing probably every few years. Just have your jewelers check them every so often. As you know, the repair and replacement on a french cut band if you were to lose a stone would be very difficult and very expensive.

Btw, what's the mm on your ring?

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Sorry, just reread the posting and realized I read it wrong. It doesn't seem normal to have the stones tightened again in the one month period. I would say every two years is more likely. It sounds like it was their error or perhaps the structural integrity of the ring was compromised when there was a gap/stones were reset. I would probably find a new jeweler and get some advise.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks! They have it right now and I am kinda at their mercy. I thought the same. Having had loose stones twice and it's only a couple of months old. They have always been so accommodating, but that is useless if their bench isn't making something structurally sound. :rolleyes: The stones were sliding all around.
I will be having it checked by another jeweler after I get it back. Just have to find a reputable one in my area.
The kicker is that I overheard the bench talking to the manager, saying, "They aren't going to fall out" :-o I wanted to come across the counter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results