shape
carat
color
clarity

Still don''t understand H&A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JABacchetta

Rough_Rock
If I have two diamonds with exactly the same characteristics (color, clarity, cut, proportions, etc.), but one is a H&A - is the H&A pattern going to make one diamond look better than the other?

I ask because I''m not sure if I should be looking specifically for H&A.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 11:06:20 PM
Author:JABacchetta
If I have two diamonds with exactly the same characteristics (color, clarity, cut, proportions, etc.), but one is a H&A - is the H&A pattern going to make one diamond look better than the other?

i would say no,but some diamond geeks just want cream of the crops.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 11:06:20 PM
Author:JABacchetta

No, as one expert once said, the proportions of the diamond are the bricks and mortar, h&a patterning is down to top optical symmetry caused by precision cutting ( assuming a diamond with perfect hearts and arrows). Some want the best of everything as DF said, top proportions and perfect h&a patterning in the branded cuts. The main thing to aim for is a diamond with great proportions which will aid light return, beauty and sparkle, then go for h&a also if you want.

Further reading - http://diamonds.pricescope.com/hna.asp

Also bear in mind just because a diamond shows h&a doesn''t mean it will automatically be a beautiful rock, the proportions are key and those are of great importance.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While being biased, of course, I still need to disagree and say ''Yes, absolutely yes.''

If we have exactly the same in average angles, the precision-cut will look better, and the more crisp the pattern is, the better. Not having the precision will lead to a lot of extra virtual facets, of which most will be of a very small size. This decreases the potential observation of fire and it decreases the bang (or the pop) of the scintillation. I am not sure if it will have a huge effect on the perceived brightness, though. Too bad that most of the cut-studies and lab cut-grades are still mainly focused on brightness.

Live long,

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
As you can see opinions vary so the best way to decide this is to see diamonds for yourself in different light conditions side by side: as Lorelei says proportions are key to brightness/light return and as Paul says cut precision makes a difference to fire and scintilation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results