shape
carat
color
clarity

Spend Someone Else''s Money

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Suppose you were just starting to look at engagement rings, were on a budget, and intended never to upgrade. Wouldn''t you be happy to find a thread where knowlegeable consumers and vendors offered their recommendations for the best ring they could afford at a variety of price points? Say $500, $1000, $2500, and $5000? I know I sure would! Now if only there were such a thread!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Super idea Super (I know that was bad)

Problem is that there are so many clarity color combinations that people feel comfortable with and desire and varying ranges of shapes, sidestones or not, and amounts that people spend on settings that the combinations would be huge. That's what makes it so interesting.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think this kind of comment is often given on each thread starting with an inquiry. However, wouldn't you feel a bit uneasy to advise H/SI1 to someone who started E-VVS? Especially if they saw the initial piece... It would definitely help to show what you mean, but with pictures only at hand it's not easy and I would say "impossible" for color.

Since the exercise is not easy, you've got a whole forum, not just a thread doing this
2.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Love the idea, Dave. Why not to have several (3 or 4) threads for each price range? Perhaps we could even pin them to keep on the top. Shall we put it into Show Me The Ring?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
By all means! I want to see these threads. There will be those who HATE anything less than a G and those who say that color is, rather than color is good or bad. I am one of those, I have many clients who were so happy I gave them "permission" to like a warm colored stone, especially some of those with lots of warmth in their skin tones who really liked the way the warm stones looked on their hands.

There will be those who really don't believe that one should wear less than a VS quality stone, who must contend and argue with those who say that even some I2's are beautiful. That is a rare thing, but I have just received a recut diamond that I swear is eye clean except under very close examination that was harshly graded as an I2. My client is not happy with the grade, nor am I, but she will be very happy with the beauty of the stone.

There will be the smaller but better advocates and the give me the biggest rock you can find advocates, and the discussions will be lively.

I believe that these threads could give great reading to the new members and lurkers of the boards as well as humorous and delicious discussions to the old hands. One vote here for BRING THEM ON AND PIN THEM HIGH!

Wink

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
It could be set up based on the different "C's" in addition to the price range. That way when people make up there mind that they have a budget of 5000.00, for sure want Ideal Cut, they can look to see what sizes are available and at what clarity they would be working with...

Or if they have a budget of 2500.00 and know that size is the most important factor, they can look to see what range is available in each of the other categories.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea for a thread for each price point. As far as people not wanting to recommend what color or clarity others "should" like, why not simplify by just saying what you would buy given the budget restrictions and justify your choices if you think it would help.

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
You could encourage people to put information in their bio (the thing it links to when you click their username) about their preferences when selecting a diamond. Then a person who was looking for a diamond to purchase could click on a person's username and see what that person values in terms of diamond characteristics. Also, the poster would not have to type over and over again what their preferences are.

Although now that I think about it, it wouldn't be too difficult for a simple, quick code to be developed, like listing diamond c's in order of preference, which for me would be cut/color/carat/clarity, then listing your minimum color/clarity, like G/SI2 for me. Something like that
2.gif

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
Also, couldn't you just make the threads be about the best DIAMOND you can get for a certain price? B/c there are thousands of ways to go with the setting, and there are much more varied preferences regarding settings I think. I mean, that could be a whole other thread itself, hehehe!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one idea: How about put it all on one thread?

Unless Leonid can do this somehow, I don't see how more threads could be kept together. Besides, with questions like "what diamond would you buy for $500" and "what would you get for $5000" who will get on the first thread?

Maybe just ask one and give a somewhat lower budget than PS sees - say 2k ?

I thought the "US average" cost for a ring would be between 2k and 3k.. so you could pick up that number. Questions like "what would you change about your ring" are somewhere burried among older threads - pretty good indication on what the next "price point" could contain.
rolleyes.gif

Agreed, no conclusion ever on such a thread, but hopefully lots of posts
2.gif
Do it !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results