shape
carat
color
clarity

Some thoughts before purchase

mallymcl

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Have learnt a lot from some very kind people on this forum (ie RockyRacoon).

I went to a store today to see them in the flesh and wow they are hard to differentiate between.

For US$9500, I can get the below stone, which is eye clean + set in the ring I desire.

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=2186364048&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

The store seems very reputable so they have given me a pretty good first impression.

Any comments or questions I should ask before purchase?

Thanks again all.

M

mallymcl

Rough_Rock
I know there is no pic but just commentary on the specs would be appreciated :)

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
It's difficult to make comments based on just the table and depth proportions. Looking online there' a number of of 1.5ct+ G SI2 princess cuts in the $8-9k range. Given that you may have to pay sales tax on top of your figure you might be able to get a better deal online one you factor in the price of the setting as well. It might be a good deal but it doesn't appear to be a steal by any means.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think mally has decided to try to purchase locally because the current, unfavorable US -> Aussie dollar exchange rate + import duties makes an online purchase from a U.S. vendor tough on an Australian's wallet nowadays.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone|1436205864|3899544 said:
Think mally has decided to try to purchase locally because the current, unfavorable US -> Aussie dollar exchange rate + import duties makes an online purchase from a U.S. vendor tough on an Australian's wallet nowadays.

That certainly does change things and it is probably a good deal. Now the only question that remains is, is it a good stone.

mallymcl

Rough_Rock
Yeah guys it is inclusive of all taxes/duties + includes ring/setting.

poojaverma

Rough_Rock
Observe the diamond in sunlight so that you will get an idea that the color of the diamond is being given by using some tricks or not. As colorless diamonds are the best one, as they will shine brighter than the colored one. Check the clarity of diamond by using microscope as some of them are not visible by naked eye.

mallymcl

Rough_Rock
Hmm when I measured the diamond I have reserved which is GIA with a DIY cut-grading tool that I got from this forum

http://datlas.com/do-it-yourself-aganaja-cut-class-grader/

Tab Percent: 1A
Crown Height: 4B
Girdle: 1A
Depth: 1A
Polish: 1A
Symmetry: 1A
TotalGrade: 4A

Here is the diamond here, I have inspected and seen that it is eye-clean which is good but will this not have great sparkle?

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=2186364048&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post good magnified pictures of the diamond?
Does the vendor provide any ASET image?
Without one or both of the above, no amount of number crunching will tell us how well cut it is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results