shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I spend the full amount on the diamond?

Colby1021

Rough_Rock
I am going to propose in late May and I will be spending roughly $15,000.
My question is should I spend around $14,000 on the diamond and $1,000 on the setting. Or should I spend 10,000 on the diamond and get a setting such as a verragio one that cost a little over $5,000. I really like the look of the verragio settings.

Also my girlfriend has her interests leaning toward either a oval cut or cushion cut. Which one makes the prettier diamond?

Thanks much,

Colby.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, these are all questions will best be answered by your girlfriend. Some like the "whole look" and will gladly hold some money aside to go toward the setting.

Others either like simple settings, or, want the biggest/whitest/ cleanest/ super ideal cut and will fork overall their money for that.

We can tell you what we would do, but not what your girlfriend will do.

As for shape, she really needs to try them on in person. An oval and a cushion will look different on the hand, one flatters one finger better than the other. Then keep in mind there are pros and condos of each shape shell need to consider. Ovals look bigger, cushions are easier to find,ovals are less popular, cushions come in a few different types .... All things she needs to consider.

Eta: persobally I would never drop 5k on that brand. I do not think they are well made enough to command that price.

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock
I would not spend 1/3 of your budget on the setting. You can get a much better (and bigger) diamond if you don't overindulge on the setting. You can get a very nice setting between $1,000 and $2,000 actually, even name brands if that's what you're after. I am having a custom platinum setting made by Brian Gavin for only $1,600.

Do you know what type of setting your GF likes? Does she like a simple elegant solitaire or is she looking for more bling? Either way I think you can get something very nice for much less than $5,000.

As far as the cut of the diamond I will leave that one up to the experts. I don't know much about those cuts.

Best of luck to you. The folks here will help you out a lot )

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As Niel said, only your girlfriend can answer the questions, but speaking for myself, I think that many designer settings are way overpriced. The diamond is the thing and spending many thousands on the setting seems counter-intuitive.

But that's just me. Your girlfriend may adore the idea of a designer setting.

Good luck with your choice! :wavey:

Edit: Also, it doesn't have to be a choice between a 1k setting and a 5k designer. If you want to be somewhat more elaborate than a 1k setting without getting up to 5k there are some lovely designer settings around the 2-2.5k mark. An example would be Tacori, stocked by Whiteflash among others.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd spend all on the diamond and let her pick out a different setting as an anniversary gift. Ovals look very different from cushions on the finger so she should try on a few different options and let you know.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
simple setting you can always upgrade those. in my HO I would spend the bulk on a beautiuffl stone

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're choosing between 2 shapes that take a bit of perseverance & patience to find. Narrow down which shape 1st then worry about the setting. As far as the setting goes, if you aren't able to get an idea from your girlfriend about her preference & still want to keep the proposal a surprise, perhaps an inexpensive $200 presentation ring would be the way to go & together you can choose the setting.

Apart from custom options, & the PS vendors, try looking through Gabriel & Co. for some ideas. If anything, will give you a rough estimate on what a setting would cost & what you should keep aside.

All the best. :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things to consider are that not everyone wants to upgrade. So the "buy simple and upgrade later" might not work in this situation. She might not like simple settings, also. some women dream of , say, a one ct in a halo... That would be in his budget, so no reason not to get it.

I just really think strangers can't decide this for you. You should ask.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1427673858|3854276 said:
Things to consider are that not everyone wants to upgrade. So the "buy simple and upgrade later" might not work in this situation. She might not like simple settings, also. some women dream of , say, a one ct in a halo... That would be in his budget, so no reason not to get it.

I just really think strangers can't decide this for you. You should ask.

^ This.

Colby1021

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses. Another quick question though. Will there be a big difference in quality between a $10,000 diamond and a $15,000 diamond. Or after that am I starting to pay more for the ct. Size

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results