shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I sell, keep and recut or trade???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkle67

Rough_Rock
Looking for some advice. I currently have a 1.54 princess cut GIA, D, VS1, MB fluoro, 66.6A% depth, 68% table, 6.56x6.53x4.34, polish vg, sym g, girdle med to slthk. Here is my dilemma. I recently purchased this based on color and clarity and believed the cut to be good at the jewelry store and under the loupe. Upon wearing it I have become unhappy with the cut. Although it has high sparkle factor, it has very small facets cut into the pavilion that in half of the lighting I wear it in it seems like I''m looking at crushed glass near the edges. To me this is not desirable. I have stopped wearing the stone and of course I paid retail and cannot return or exchange it. SOOOOO...

Should I sell it and try and get back half my money and start over or perhaps just wear the nice little .75 ct round my mommy gave me for free and bank the $$$ and stay out of the diamond business cutting my losses now? Should I invest another $1000 and have someone recut it and lose carat weight but get a stone that looks like its cut well? Or should I trade it in for another stone, again costing about another $1000 plus my current stone for a smaller one that has a better cut which I would most likely stay safe and get a round this time? Safe because they are always in style and are more brilliant.

What do you think?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 9:06:13 AM
Author:sparkle67
Looking for some advice. I currently have a 1.54 princess cut GIA, D, VS1, MB fluoro, 66.6A% depth, 68% table, 6.56x6.53x4.34, polish vg, sym g, girdle med to slthk. Here is my dilemma. I recently purchased this based on color and clarity and believed the cut to be good at the jewelry store and under the loupe. Upon wearing it I have become unhappy with the cut. Although it has high sparkle factor, it has very small facets cut into the pavilion that in half of the lighting I wear it in it seems like I'm looking at crushed glass near the edges. To me this is not desirable. I have stopped wearing the stone and of course I paid retail and cannot return or exchange it. SOOOOO...

Should I sell it and try and get back half my money and start over or perhaps just wear the nice little .75 ct round my mommy gave me for free and bank the $$$ and stay out of the diamond business cutting my losses now? Should I invest another $1000 and have someone recut it and lose carat weight but get a stone that looks like its cut well? Or should I trade it in for another stone, again costing about another $1000 plus my current stone for a smaller one that has a better cut which I would most likely stay safe and get a round this time? Safe because they are always in style and are more brilliant.

What do you think?
Hi sparkle

Recutting isn't without risk and it is a risk the stone's owner has to take as if the diamond broke or shattered whilst cutting, the cutter won't assume responsibility. Also not every stone is a suitable candidate for recutting. You could contact Brian Gavin at;

www.briangavindiamonds.com and speak to him about a recut or modification, he will be able to give you a much better idea of your stone's suitability and the pros and cons, weight loss etc, what might be achievable and so on. From the info given it looks as if the diamond isn't cut to top standards which is usual.

As you know with resale it is usual to only expect 3- - 50% of what you paid with round diamonds being the most popular shape, a Princess might be harder to sell. Or you could look into either trying to trade this diamond in for another or just start again and perhaps have this stone set into a pendant and buy a completely new diamond.

Hope this helps give you some options.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think what you''re describing isn''t a bad cut, per se, but a cut that isn''t pleasing to your eye: the crushed ice/ glass look is very common in princess and radiant-cut stones. If you have any recourse for a trade-in (without adding your mom''s stone into the mix - I''m sentimental, and that seems like something you might regret), I''d try to pursue it. Where did you buy this stone? Have you already talked to the highest ranked person there (manager, owner, etc.)?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It would help a lot if you could have a 3D scan of the stone.
But after a quick play on Diamcalc it would seem your stone is vertically challeneged and we might need a bit more depth to achieve a good return and keep it over 1.50ct.
However a cutter who knows how to use DiamCalc with great proficiency may be able to reduce the number of chevrons (the narrow facets on the pavilion) and change the appearance to something you prefer.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade it is for something you like. If it costs a little more it would be money well spent to get something you love.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results