shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Help...respected jeweler does not take full responsibility for stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys, need some more advice...

We kinda started talking about this in another thread a few days ago...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-questions.43365/

Someone in that thread mentioned that any respected local jeweler would take full responsibility for your stone while they were setting it, even if it wasn''t one they sold. And someone else said that it just wouldn''t be smart for them to take responsibility for a stone that was not purchased through them, too much risk. So I don''t really know what to do...I really want to take it to a respected local jeweler..I know Liberty Jewelers in Irvine has been mentioned here a few times and is on the local jeweler section as well. I was looking and talking to some other local jewelers as well as talking to Troy from Liberty about setting loose stones and he told me that almost all stores won''t take full responsibility for your stone in the possibility of any damage occurring during setting and mounting. I really like Troy, he really went through their entire process w/ me as far as their policies and procedures and why they didn''t take full responsibility for the stone, and then went on to assure me that chips and breaks happen to only about 1% of all stones...or maybe less, I don''t remember exactly anymore.

I mean I could go back to WF and send my stone back to them also, which is an option, but I really liked dealing w/ this local jeweler. I am planning to go into their store and meet w/ Troy on saturday, but I just wanted to know if there''s any validity to that 1% thing about damage to stones. I mean I know diamonds are very strong and durable, but in case you dont'' remember, I''m totally paranoid about these things...I''m probably one of those suckers that the industry loves cuz I''m always looking for some type of insurance. I just don''t want anything to happen, you know? This is the single most precious thing I will be giving to my gf and I would really die if it were to get all messed up. I don''t think I have enough time to insure it before I can go have it set...cuz I don''t even know what that process involves. I just want to get the ring together already so I can proceed w/ my plan....

Please give me any advice you can?!?!?!?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that stone could have been to wf and back by now!
40.gif
9.gif

setting problems rarely occur with rounds but they do happen, so it pays to find out what your options are. how much would the jeweler charge to set the stone?

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I can''t really comment on your question. But I''ll say this, go with your gut. If you like the jeweler then work with him. If the stone was destine to chip or break it won''t matter who is doing the setting. I mean you can give it to your girl and she "could" drop it in all the excitment and crack it. Life is too short to worry about every possible scenerio and what might go wrong, get the rock mounted and proceed with the plan, you''ve already dealt with enough stress just picking the stone and spending that kind of money on a hunk of carbon, you don''t need to pile more on top of that. Trust everything will work out for you and in the end I know it will. Once it''s set and appraised get insurance right away. Good luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with belle. From what I''ve learned it isn''t too common for there to be a problem but it does happen. A fellow Pricescoper''s stone was chipped while being set or just after and thank goodness it was the vendor she purchased the stone from because they took full responsibilty and replaced her stone. The final decision is up to you but I would probably feel better finding someone to set it that will take responsibilty or better yet, just ship it all back to WF and have them do it. then you don''t have to worry at all.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Belle and mrssalvo are correct!! Send the ring and the stone to WF and have them set it for you. Doesn''t take long and not worth the risk of having a jeweler chip your stone.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the jeweler block insurance policies offer or provide an option for the jeweler to purchase liability insurance so that they can be insured when working on jewelry for their clients... Our insurance company [Federated] offers the coverage as an option and the cost was quite reasonable (especially in consideration of what replacing a clients diamond might cost). However, there are certain diamonds which contain inclusions which we feel might present a durability risk during setting and unsetting and (since we wouldn''t have sold the stone in the first place) we will not assume liability for working on those stones because that''d be like handing the keys of your new car to a drunk friend and saying "go ahead and drive it, I''m insured" - Okay, I''m s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g things a bit here, but you get the point, right?
2.gif

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice and the assurances. I''m gonna go into the local jeweler on Sat like I am planning to and just see what my options are. I still need to take a look at some settings in person anyway. I''ll keep you posted!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 2:23:15 PM
Author: klavigne

If you like the jeweler then work with him. If the stone was destine to chip or break it won't matter who is doing the setting.
It's not about whether or not the stone will break.....it's about who is at a financial loss if it does.

This guy is saying "I'd die if anything happened to it." What I haven't heard him say is "I could afford to replace the stone out of my own pocket if it does break."

Until/unless he can say that, he needs to select a method that won't leave him holding the financial bag if something does happen. That could mean sending it back to the vendor. It could mean working with a jeweler who will take responsibility for the stone. It could mean finding an insurer that will cover damage caused during setting.

If it were me, I wouldn't blithely select an option that might leave me with a damaged stone and no way to replace it.

I agree with Belle - overnight it to WF, have them set it, and overnight it back. Unless you can afford to cough up for a new stone in the event of damage, it's just foolish to take a risk.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I had my setting made by Leon and he didn''t take responsibility for possible chipping. I had it insured (as a loose stone) and that was the end of my worries.

However, I do think that the ideal solution is to get the stone/setting from the same place if possible. It seems like a lot less of a hassle that way.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would work with whoever is going to take financial responsibility should something happen to the stone during setting. Period. No matter how much you like someone, how much will you like them if something happens to your stone and all they say is, "whoops, sorry. good luck with that." Not so much I gather.

If the local guy won't take financial responsibility while setting the stone (and I'm not saying whether or not he should, since he didn't sell you the stone), I wouldn't get it set there. Period. Crap happens, and I wouldn't want to be left holding the bag, when I could have avoided the issue.

ETA: What allycat said about insuring loose stones is true...if you can get a company to insure a loose stone. A lot of them won't.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
So if that''s the case, does anyone know of any local jewelers in southern cali that WILL take full responsibility? I''m just checking different options right now. It seems like I WILL be sending back to WF...not that I totally totally don''t want to go w/ WF, but it''s just that if I have to have the ring resized or something, or serviced, I''m always gonna have to send it back, and the shipping costs will definitely add up. The pro about a local jeweler is that you can have your jewelry taken care of should anything happen.

Maybe even if I do send the stone to WF to have it set then I can still ahve the local jeweler service it...I could probably get the bands from there or something....

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 3:22:51 PM
Author: lil_jay78
Maybe even if I do send the stone to WF to have it set then I can still ahve the local jeweler service it...I could probably get the bands from there or something....
This is more along the lines of what I would use the local guy for....

I don''t know anything about it - does WF void anything if someone else touches the ring for resizing? Dunno personally. But you can get prongs checked locally and the bands locally, etc...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a local jeweler that cleans and inspects my rings for free. I agree having a someone local is a nice plus and you should find one. There are always, birthdays, annivesary''s or other special events that will give you the opportunity to purchase something and establish a relationship with your local guy. but with the e-ring and setting, I''d send it to WF at least this one time.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
FireGoddess, I''m not sure if they void anything if someone else touches the ring for something like resizing...I''m thinking they probably do void any type of warranty simply because they can not guarantee that nothing else was done to their ring.

Mrssalvo, thanks for the advice that I will have other opportunities as well as the bands.

I was talking to a few jewelers and I actually talked to a few that DO insure the stone while they have it. I''m gonna talk to Liberty again, I''m sure they do the same thing, or hopefully does the same thing, he he he.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
While I can understand why everyone wants you to send it back to WF if you would rather have someone local do it...do your homework and ask the right questions. It never hurts to ask around and then make your decision. I had Wink set my diamond just because I didn''t have anyone local I would trust to do it. But that being said...if I had the time to go and ask questions and sit down with some local b&ms and then be able to watch them set the stone I definitely would have done it local.
I reset my marquise with a b&m about an hour from me. They made a band for me in the past and I bought me new setting from them. They took full responsibility for the stone and charged me 20 bucks to set. A marquise could easily be damaged because of the points but I trusted them completely. That jeweler has been there for many, many years and he was the one that made my original band and did a fantastic job. I could have gone back there for my RB to be set but it''s far and with my two kids coming with...it was just as easy to have Wink do it. If you aren''t in a hurry research and make the best decision for you. Good luck!

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
Many jewelers will resize, polish, or clean your ring (possibly with a fee) even if you do not buy the setting or diamond from them. I would personally find it much easier to ship the ring back to WF than search for a jeweler that will take responsibility for the stone. (Unless it is easy to find such a jeweler, and from your story sounds like it is not.)

Also, besides the question of who pays to replace the stone, there''s the question of who has to deal with insurance if the stone is damaged. I''d insure the loose stone myself to have Leon Mege make my ring.
1.gif
Otherwise, it is so much easier to let a jeweler handle the insurance. (Also, do your insurance rates go up if you ever have to call in your policy?)

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It''s understandable why a local jeweler wouldn''t want to assume full responsibility on a stone he didn''t sell (and profit from) for a minimal setting fee.

It''s almost insane for a jeweler to assume that kind of liability unless he has insurance coverage of some sort (which most don''t). Some would say they would cover it, and then do a fast backpedal if something happened.

I would send it to Whiteflash. They are financially and psychologically invested in the stone. Who cares about shipping charges?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would not want to risk even the 1% chance that something could happen to your diamond. Take it to someone (WF or someone else) who will take full responsibility. There are definitely jewelers out there who will. Personally, I would just go back to WF.

Of course, you could always try to insure it yourself. Of course, this can be tricky, as few insurance companies will insure loose diamonds. If you do a search here you may be able to find one though.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Thx again for all the info guys.

I actually did find a few local jewelers that will insure my ring while they have it. I''m planning to take a look at some different 6-prong heads to see what I like.

I talked to Celina at WF about doing the setting as well, so they''re still definitely my top choice. If I do happen to find a local jeweler that I just absolutely HAVE to have do my setting then I''ll go that route...but only if they cover the diamond.

Anyway, I''ll keep you guys posted.

In the mean time, anyone have any pics or can point me in the direction of differentl styles of Tiffany 6-prong settings?

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Thx for the links Julie. I like the dimend scaasi Tiffany a lot, I was also looking at the Tiffany Heavy from WF as well...I think I wanna go w/ something like inbetween the two.

I don''t have the links right now, but I''ll try to post pics of the ones I''m thinking of.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results