shape
carat
color
clarity

setting a stone purchased online

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sampras

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing this stone: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6640503# (it says SOLD because I have it on hold). Because of the inclusions that appear to be present around the girdle, should I be worried that it may chip when I get the stone set? I want to get the stone set by a local jeweler so that I have a relationship with someone local with the ring and I can return for free cleanings/resizing. I have searched the forums about insuring a loose stone but it looks like it can go either way and in most cases is not possible. Does anybody have recent experience successfully getting a loose stone insured for 1 week before/during the setting process? I am wondering if all the risks involved in this (buying online/getting it appraised/insuring the loose stone/stone getting chipped by setter) may outweigh the costs savings of buying online.

Thanks for any advice

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Though I don''t have much value to add here, and would share you''ve asked good questions...and hope you get some good answers to them, to your last point...

Date: 11/5/2005 3:09:05 PM
Author:sampras
I am wondering if all the risks involved in this (buying online/getting it appraised/insuring the loose stone/stone getting chipped by setter) may outweigh the costs savings of buying online.
....if your trade off is only (a) - doing the complex combo, and (b) buying local, you may indeed find (b) to be cost effective. Consider, however, there is an option (c), having your vendor at a distance do the whole thing, give up the value you''re appropriately seeking in a local jeweler, and realizing that in trying to develop a relationship with a local jeweler then post purchase from the internet vendor, you would be little different that a person who had just moved to the area, which is not so unusual, after all.

Still, go for the best of both worlds, I say, and let us know what you learn in the process. BTW, just for fun, you might like to review semi-animated discussion related to this, with unfortunately, no good resolution brought forward.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Sampras,
Have you spoken to any local jewelers about their willingness to set a stone you''ve bought elsewhere? Many times jewelers are resentful of this proposal.
If you''re unable to find a jewler with whom you''d like to begin a relationship who is also willing to do the work, you might as well get your diamond vendor to do the setting. This would also eliminate your issue of insuring the loose stone.

Mark

cheetahman

Rough_Rock
I bought a stone online and had it set by a local jeweler (actually a chain - Jewelry Exchange). I bought the setting from them though. They had to look at the stone and make sure they felt comfortable setting it, but other than that it wasn''t a problem. When I said I already had a stone, I mentioned it was my grandmother''s. It was a bit of a white lie, but I don''t think the person cared that much. I had a friend that had his grandmother''s stone set, so I don''t see why you couldn''t get away with this easily.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about just having WF do the setting for you? They do some beautiful work! Why go through the hassle of finding another vendor?

cheetahman

Rough_Rock
The reason I didn''t have it set by the online merchant, was that I wanted to see the stone myself before it was set. Once I had it and it was appraised, it was between sending it back (dealing with the mailing, insuring and lag time) vs. building a relationship with a local jeweler who will help me with resizing and polishing and can get it done in two hours.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i believe the risks associated with setting a round are quite small compared to other cuts. you would need to talk to your jeweler though to find out what his policy is, just in case. my experience was positive. i took an aca that was purchased online to have it set by a local jeweler. no insurance or appraisal needed and the setting fee was only $35.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results