• A. Yes

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • B. No

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I traded in my setting last week. This was my previous setting:image_3477.jpg
This setting helped me realize that I really like the round halo and that I don't mind bigger sized melee. I realized that I didn't like the lower quality melee and the excess metal and the fact that it didn't have a gallery. So, thinking that I would hit all these issues, I went to my jeweler in search of the perfect stock halo. I opted for this one, but only a few days later, I'm having second thoughts.
image_3629.jpg

So, what drew me to this setting? I thought I wanted smaller melee, but I didn't realize what a huge difference micro pave makes. I think I don't like it. I think that it feels too tight? Like the halo isn't scalloped or rounded--just tight micro pave. I also don't like the inner bezel or rim because it creates a very defined circle. I think that it looks cheap.Finally, I'm torn about the fact that the setting is set high. On the one hand, it does make the diamond the star, but on the other hand, I don't thinks it's cohesive and attractive. But I love the gallery.

The problem is that my jeweler carries gorgeous stock settings but the round halo's do not have nice galleries and the halo's that have great galleries are all cushion shaped. I suppose that I could settle again, but I don't know if in the end, I would regret it again.

If you have been reading this far, please feel free to chime in. Would you settle for a cushion shaped halo? Or, would you just give the one I currently have a longer try?

This is a picture of the gallery.
image_3643.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I selected yes but I don't think cheap cheap but looks lesser than your first one, I prefer the original. They both however look a lot cheaper than Leon Mege styles where the prongs are finished in the antique way where you see four together on the edges of stones and a scalloped wall beneath each stone. These type of rings are hand fabricated and cost a lot of dollars and you get what you pay for with them. There is a reason those halos cost $5000 up and you can see it. I don't know yet the longevity of these rings and only time will tell as styles like these in the past were worn by people who did not work as dress rings and not everyday engagement rings.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1435524900|3895892 said:
I selected yes but I don't think cheap cheap but looks lesser than your first one, I prefer the original. They both however look a lot cheaper than Leon Mege styles where the prongs are finished in the antique way where you see two together between stones and a scalloped wall beneath each stone. These rings were hand fabricated and cot a lot of dollars and you get what you pay for with them. There is a reason those halos cost $5000 up and you can see it. I don't know yet the longevity of these rings and only time will tell as styles like these in the past were worn by people who did not work as dress rings and not everyday engagement rings.

Thank you for your sincerity. The first one appears very nice because it is in the sun, and the bigger melee seem to shine more. But, the reality is that the first one had lower color and clarity melee and it was really obvious in indoor lighting.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the second one probably looks more like the expensive ones than the first because there is less metal so it is more in proportion to them. Maybe look at the show me your halo thread and compare there. These expensive rings usually do have tiny pave so it could be more similar to them.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't say it looks cheap, but when I look at the 2nd ring, I see what looks like metal, not diamonds in the halo, if that makes sense. Reminds me of settings that put little bumps in the metal to make it appear as though there are diamonds there when there really are none.

I really like the look of your original setting. Thank you for sharing your story. Hope it works out for you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
derbygal|1435525746|3895903 said:
I wouldn't say it looks cheap, but when I look at the 2nd ring, I see what looks like metal, not diamonds in the halo, if that makes sense. Reminds me of settings that put little bumps in the metal to make it appear as though there are diamonds there when there really are none.

I really like the look of your original setting. Thank you for sharing your story. Hope it works out for you.

Ditto...I liked the original better.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your jewelers works with you in terms on trading in settings, why not try a cushion? I agree with PPs that the first setting looks nicer than the second.

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
They are both lovely, but I think the first one looks more custom. It looks like it was made for that stone and the stone fits nicely. The second one looks stock, which it is. I can see a little gap between the center stone and the halo from the top in the second one, not sure if that was what you wanted.

They are both really pretty though, I guess it's really a matter of personal opinion. From reading your post, it sounds like your gut is telling you that you don't love the second. I wouldn't settle for a setting that you don't love because you have to look at it every day. It sounds like you have a good relationship with your jeweler. I hope it works out and you are able to get exactly what you want! :) Keep us updated!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted "No" as I do not believe the second setting looks cheap.

However, I prefer the original setting than the new one, based on the look from the top alone.

DK :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first one better. If you are on a budget try a setting made for your stone by David Klass or Brilliantly Engaged or maybe something like a Gabriel and Co setting if you want premade.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
It's a matter of personal preference. I don't like the air line gap between the halo and the center stone. It reminds me of a generic ring instead of a more custom design where the halo is built tightly around the center stone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
my preference was your original setting - it appears more delicate, imo, than the reset. But - its all personal opinion and preference. The reasons you selected the 2nd setting are all valid --- maybe you just have to wear it a bit and see if you do like it more, before you rush to change.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
derbygal|1435525746|3895903 said:

Thanks, this is my concern, that the pave looks like metal bumps. But, this seems to be most apparent in direct sunlight. Indoors, it definitely looks like pave. Will post a picture for all to see.

by baby monster » 28 Jun 2015 15:46
If your jewelers works with you in terms on trading in settings, why not try a cushion? I agree with PPs that the first setting looks nicer than the second.

I am really leaning towards the cushion, at this point, but I think that even though it may look like a higher quality setting, the cushion shape will not make me appreciate the stone as much--like the stone blends in with the halo.

by MrsJolie » 28 Jun 2015 16:03

They are both really pretty though, I guess it's really a matter of personal opinion. From reading your post, it sounds like your gut is telling you that you don't love the second. I wouldn't settle for a setting that you don't love because you have to look at it every day. It sounds like you have a good relationship with your jeweler. I hope it works out and you are able to get exactly what you want! :) Keep us updated!

Yes, my jeweler is very understanding, but he has a limited selection now and it might be a while before he brings in what I want.

by solgen » 28 Jun 2015 17:34
It's a matter of personal preference. I don't like the air line gap between the halo and the center stone. It reminds me of a generic ring instead of a more custom design where the halo is built tightly around the center stone.

The airline really doesn't bother me, because like I said, my stone really stands out. But, I do fear that it does look generic as result, which is why I'm confused. Sometimes I think my setting is the best of both worlds--like I have a solitaire sitting on top of a halo, and then I wonder if it looks like a cheap diamond halo.

by arkieb1 » 28 Jun 2015 17:21
I like the first one better. If you are on a budget try a setting made for your stone by David Klass or Brilliantly Engaged or maybe something like a Gabriel and Co setting if you want premade.

This is what I should have done from the get-go, but at this point, I can only exchange.

Thanks to the rest of you for voting or giving me your opinion. Will post more pictures in different lighting.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so here are some pictures in different lighting. Tell me if you still think it looks cheap.
image_3650.jpg
image_3649.jpg
image_3648.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the top, I like the current one better. But I am going to suggest that your doubts stem from the fact that neither of these is really what you want. Neither of these approaches the quality of a pave halo made by one of the master ring makers like Victor Canera. I would honestly bite the bullet and get a setting that is heirloom worthy and finely made. That is my very honest opinion. (Use your credit at this jeweler for a setting for a colored stone or something.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not necessarily look cheap but it doesn't seem to fit the setting design. It sits too high, has an obvious airline and does not look like a quality setting.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Nala. I personally love the bling factor of your first set. I don't think the second one looks "cheap" per se, but it doesn't have that take my breath away look your first one did - to my taste. It seems to me that you didn't like the quality of the melee of your first set. Couldn't you have tried to replace the melee with a better quality? It probably wouldn't cost that much after trading in your current melee I would imagine. I love the look of your first set. :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for the gaps. Have you considered using a PS vendor for a custom setting? Maybe the way the diamond sits in the setting is also an issue. I also prefer the first.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1435594100|3896285 said:
From the top, I like the current one better. But I am going to suggest that your doubts stem from the fact that neither of these is really what you want. Neither of these approaches the quality of a pave halo made by one of the master ring makers like Victor Canera. I would honestly bite the bullet and get a setting that is heirloom worthy and finely made. That is my very honest opinion. (Use your credit at this jeweler for a setting for a colored stone or something.)

+1

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with DS I don't think either look cheap but they are not what you want. Can you use the credit towards something else? Maybe a setting for a coloured stone or something? And perhaps choose a different halo for your diamond.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1435594100|3896285 said:

So I've been thinking about your suggestion and I think that you are on to something. I think this style of the setting is different. It isn't like the VC halos, and I'm OK with that. In fact, I actually am starting to enjoy this aspect of it. My concern stems from the fact that I am not used to micropave and I don't know if that is the issue or if the issue is that the micropave melee in this particular setting is subpar.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: I started a new thread after visiting my jeweler. I went through a lot of his settings, and narrowed it down to one choice. Here is the choice.image_3659.jpgimage_3658.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take your time to make your final decision. The settings aren't going anywhere anytime soon. If I wanted a nice pave halo, I find that custom work tends to fit around the diamond better. It doesn't have to be handforged either as some CAD/cast come remarkably close.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results