shape
carat
color
clarity

saving old setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
Does anyone know if a setting can be saved? If I plan to remove my diamond from it''s current setting & put it into a new one, can I save the old one in case I want to use it again? Is the basket that holds the diamond & connects to the ring savable as well or will that need to be replaced if I decide to use the old setting again? Please help! Thanks.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is usualy a good idea to replace the head (basket) if possible when putting a new stone in a ring.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
You can keep the old setting. I don''t see any reason why you couldn''t.
Depending on the size of the new stone for the "old" setting, it may need a new head.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I had a stone removed from an old setting and the jeweler, to save some time, just snipped off one of the prongs. I am told it can be repaired with a lazer but it was a lazy and sloppy thing to do, particularly when this neighborhood jeweler specializes in rings with old settings. It was my mother''s ring.

If you decide to have the stone removed, try to have it done in your presence and make certain before they do it that they do not cut a prong off to make it easier to take the stone out.

My setting was platinum with small stones and was in excellent condition. Make certain that you use someone who does jewelry repair (this was just a neighborhood jewelry store that sells very expensive custom designed jewelry) and ask them to do their best to salvage the setting. Perhaps they can''t save the basket but make certain that they try.

I thought it was an easy thing to do but I now realize that I never should have let the ring out of my sight and should have taken it to an experienced jeweler. I wound up there because my husband had selected a gift for me there and wanted me to see it before he bought it. When I accidentally saw the price(which they were supposed to conceal) I said I did not want it and,perhaps I am paranoid, but I think that is why she mutilated my ring.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I always push the prongs back, well the grains back, and take the stone out that way.

If you want to remove the head, it is pretty easy. You can pull the whole head away, stone and all, just add heat??? Nothing to it!!! The only problem you can have is when the setting was hand made as it has seems, but that is only a problem when the settings maker used easy solder etc, don''t worry.

Different story with plat. It is impossible to heat the solder and expect the head to pull away if it has been soldered with platinum solder (still worth trying as you never know what it was soldered with), plus you can not! leave the stone in, because they get smoked (burnt), under the heat needed and trandfered with plat. The head needs to be cut away from the band, in that case. Still not a big deal really... Your choice, you hack away at the head or the band.

Cutting the prongs away is sacrillage, that sort of practice should be reserved for very badly worn settings. I have never done it!

So yes, easy - gold/silver etc
Yes, but only if you cut away at the band - platinum

Always an option,

Phillip

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
When my diamond was removed from its old setting the jeweler simply bent the prongs open and the diamond came right out. I have the old setting saved although I don''t know if I''ll ever use it for anything again.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
That is it,

Most people want to keep the setting head. Some even want to keep the piece off the band from a resize.

It is different in different places though. Some countries don''t even do repairs.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yes, settings can be reused. I did just the converse of what is being discussed here. I reused just the head in a reset. And, I still have the shank. I don''t plan on using it; but, the option is there.

But, whatever you do, make sure it is done by someone qualified who can discuss the process with you.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Oh thanks for the advice. It''s simply not as simple as I thought if I want to keep the old setting. Thanks for all the feedback, it''s helped me greatly in my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results