shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When rings are resized smaller by quite a few sizes and the ring although round has bumps when light is shone on the shank from the side is there anything a jeweller can do about this. There are two rings I have like this, both 18 carat gold. They are cast rings, and originally were very flat and square on the profile. They have quite a depth to the gold and although not noticeable on the finger when they are lying on a table I can see where they bend downwards caused by the shank being re-rounded.

Does this type of thing disappear anyway from normal wear and re-polishing or will the ring always look different than an aged cast ring which has not be re-sized? Would the original untouched cast ring keep its square shape through normal wear anyway?

Maybe this does not bother other people or they do not even think about it as it is such a common practice. Rings have to be sized through the years for finger changes anyway probably and I know it is more cost effective for jewellers than ordering in rings in all sizes.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Will you promise me Pyramid that if you ever migrate (or are sent as a convict) to Australia, that you will warn me before you ever come near my store.

On the other hand if you would like a job as my Quality Control officer - well, I will consider you
1.gif

Sounds like some poor b....r had to resize some cast mounts, and did the best possible under the cirumstances.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking at estate rings, and was warned that I needed to find something which was a fairly close size (larger, I don't know about smaller, there aren't many of those floating around), otherwise the ring could not be resized very well to fit me. This was apparently even more true of those rings with filligree and so forth, which makes sense.

However, Fay Cullen doesn't list sizes on the rings (even though she has about every other piece of information you could want), which makes me think it may not always be important, or perhaps not important for sizing larger, which is more common.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks chialea.

I suppose other people do not look at the side of their rings when off their hands. I just wonder if a jeweller can burnish a ring to look square again.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just about any ring can be invisibly resized. Sure, there are exceptions. Certainly, there are sloppy jewelers that add to the problem. BUT, for the most part, a ring can be sized so that only a scientist could tell, and no one could tell except as a way of proving a point about their ability to detect the virtually invisible.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks oldminer. There are no signs of a seam at the bottom of the shank but the depth edge of the shank looks rounded now and the light bends on it when reflected of it making the ring shank surface on the sides look wavy or as though the shoulders are out of line. Would these people who size rings invisibly have done something with this for example filed down the edge of the shank to look square again like the original cast model or burnished it or something?

Maybe the jeweller did not spend much time on it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A jewelers who does such a job "correctly" would make you wonder how could it possibly have been done. The sizing of most rings would totally be invisible to all but the extremely close observer. If the lines of your ring have been ruined or spoiled in sizing it may not be possible to fix it completely now. If a ring is sized by someone careful, it generally will not be visible.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Oldminer it is probably because they were sized from an M or N down to a size J. UK sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results