shape
carat
color
clarity

Remaking mom's melted ring - questions about vendors

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, to make a long story short, my mother's engagement ring was melted when it went in for a resize. She can't bear looking at it or even really thinking about it so hasn't gotten it remade or bought a new one, and it's been like three years. My father and I were thinking that it would be cool to have it remade (or something similar but better made), incorporating the same gold so that it's still her e-ring rather than an entirely new one. Because her ring was like, idk, 1.5 mm thick, or something ridiculously tiny, there would also have to be new gold involved. I was wondering if you guys knew offhand what vendors would be willing to do that sort of thing, or if because of different alloys it will just not really happen.

I don't know if it at all matters to the answer, but the style of ring we'd be aiming at is more like a wedding band (five-stone or half-eternity) than a traditional engagement ring. We might be upgrading the diamonds since my mother expressed insecurity when I got my engagement ring that all the diamonds on hers were merely the size of my pave diamonds (untrue, they were dainty, but not tiny) - so we aren't worried about whether or not they'll use outside ones. Any price range is fine.

Any other sort of help or suggestions about this project will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I know is that the gold would have to be sent for refining (not 100% sure that is the right word), and I am not sure your same gold would be able to be used. I recently asked a ring maker here if he could remake my original wedding band that was also damaged during a resetting, and he told me he could not reuse the gold.

Why didn't the person who damaged the ring fix it?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hah, that's the long story part! The jeweler we'd always used died unexpectedly right after my mother brought her ring in to be resized. His son, in the throes of grief, tried to complete his work orders and, umm, it did not go well, at least on this ring. They kept saying they'd fix it, but after they had it for a really long time (I think it was 8 months?) without doing anything, my mother just demanded it, and her money, back. It's really not in a state that it can be "fixed" - it has to be totally remade. I do not think the people staffing the jewelry store after the jeweler's death had the kind of skills to do... anything... so having them remake it was not an option. And now even thinking about getting it remade stresses my mother out so much that she can't make progress on it, but she still is sad about it and mentions that sometimes.

Thanks for your answer.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would love to see a couple photos of the ring. Most anything can be done, but sometimes the cost of doing it outweighs the importance of doing it just the way you want it done. SUrely, the old metal from the ring could be used in re-making it, but usually there is some major element that is left after damage. We need to see it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weeeeellll...I'd say that death of the jeweler is right up there with the best of reasons that it did not get properly fixed!

So sorry for your mom, though! I used a wrong word in my previous post and meant to say they messed mine up a little in resizing, not resetting. I got a new wedding set so I am not worried about the repair on mine, but I hope to get it done eventually.

Can your dad just get her a new diamond band for an anniversary? My original rings are sentimental and that is why I kept them, but I love my new rings much more!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Ask a jeweler with a laser welder if they can't restore it- a talented jeweler with the right tools can do a lot!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results