shape
carat
color
clarity

Really second guessing my diamond purchase...please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goCubsgo

Rough_Rock
Dear forum,

I found an AGS Triple 0 Ideal cut diamond that was in my budget and purchased it from WF. It is not an ACA but it is really close. It has a nice arrow pattern. However, while the Idealscope and ASET images for my stone look GREAT, I am finding that the actual magnified diamond image doesn't look too hot.
7.gif
A few of the arrow stems have some weird black blobs or triangles next to them (see 3 o'clock and 7 o'clock). Also, a few of the arrow heads have some black paddles (see 12, 3 and 5 o'clock). What is causing that, and what are the black blobs? Can someone please help talk me down? I can't return it anymore as the window to return the diamond has already expired unfortunately. It is just waiting to be set.

Here are the stats:
G color, SI1
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.8%
Crown angle: 35.1
Pavilion: 40.7
Stars: 52
LGF: 80

Thanks!

my new diamond09!.jpg

goCubsgo

Rough_Rock
Here is the ASET image. You can still see the black blobs next to a few of the arrow stems (like 9 o''clock). Anyone know what causes this?

ASET 91009.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is cut beautifully, really!

You can call your rep to confirm that it's eyeclean - sometimes we see things in the IS and actual blown-up images that are very clear, and look like they're positioned in such a way as to be blatantly obvious IRL, but they're just not: the sparkle and virtual facets really can completely hide some impressive inclusions.

You're seeing "paddles" because the actual image wasn't taken perfectly head-on. You will see those same paddles amplified in shallow-shallow diamonds (which yours surely isn't) when the pictures are taken dead-head-on.

Call your rep. about it being eyeclean to your standards, and if it is, I'm sure you'll be happily surprised when it comes
1.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert but basically I think your stone is stunning. The numbers are good. Its within TIC 1.3 and
pretty much excellent on everything that has to do with light return. I'm not sure you should really be evaluating
a blown up static photo with so much scrunity. Your stone should be very flashy in most lightings.

I'm sure the experts will chime in and give you their .02 cents.

Is it pretty in person? Or were you expecting something different?

goCubsgo

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks. To answer a few questions: I didn''t see it in person yet, but the rep verified it is definitely eye clean. I am mainly just worried about the blobs and paddles by the arrow heads, because other magnified well-cut diamond images don''t show those. Mine does.
8.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
really don''t think you should worry, you should reduce the pictures to an actual normal size and you will find that it won''t show up nearly at all. Really is a beautiful diamond. it is hugely magnified.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Gocubs,
First, I agree with everyone else that you got a beautiful, well-cut stone. Second, I''ll help "talk you down" by saying it is normal to second-guess yourself, but that doesn''t mean you made a bad decision or that the stone is a poor choice. It just means that diamond buying is a stressful experience, one that most people don''t have a lot of experience with, so it''s normal to feel unsure about such a big purchase.

So take a deep breath, remind yourself that you did a lot of research to find just the right stone, you came to PS to get advice and help -- you''ve done all the right things to get a gorgeous stone.

To answer your specific questions, I''m not seeing paddles in the images.

But I have seen the types of "blobs" you''re talking about at the 9 p.m. position in the stone. Many excellent stones posted here have those "blobs." The reasons I''ve seen given for the blobs include:
the photography technique
the stone being tilted when photographed
table reflection
microscopic variances in the pavilion facets of the stone

In any case, the blobs were not a cause for concern.

Hope this helps, and that you can relax and look forward to seeing your beautiful WF stone arrive in its setting!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I am no expert but if this was from WF''s Expert Selection you probably have an very nicely cut stone. It''s not an ACA but in real life I doubt you will see any of the dark blob/light leaks that you are seeing at 40x magnification. I think you are going to be really pleased when you see the finished ring.

And even though you say you can''t return it don''t rule out an upgrade in the future if your budget permits. But honestly, I think its a keeper.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Black blob beside the arrow shaft is table reflection, usually present in slightly deeper stone. Real image''s black blob at the arrow head are probably cause by reflection from some black surrounding objects, should not have anything to worry about. Real image is more of a photo shoot and not representative of performance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The blobs are usually just table reflection, nothing to worry about, the images are good and so are the proportions - you have a lovely diamond there and nothing to worry about
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2009 10:11:33 AM
Author: Lorelei
The blobs are usually just table reflection, nothing to worry about, the images are good and so are the proportions - you have a lovely diamond there and nothing to worry about
2.gif
My thoughts as well.....

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results