shape
carat
color
clarity

Ready to buy; want help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jbernste

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking on Pricescope for the past six months or so and I''ve read (but not yet closely studied) the tutorial on GOG''s site. This forum is truly a great resource and community.

I finally have my finances in order to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend -- I''m ready to buy the moment I find the right diamond -- but would really like some help from the folks here. Here''s where I stand.

1) I''d like to spend in the neighborhood of $10,000 for a round diamond. It''ll be a solitaire in a platinum or white gold setting.

2) I haven''t looked at a single diamond yet.

3) Like so many other people, we prioritize size over quality. Our social circle is a pretty judgmental bunch, and though we''re not flashy, some of our friends and family are. Since I haven''t actually seen any stones, though, I really have no idea what would seem _big enough_.

4) I think this forum may have made me a snob. It''s gotta be eye-clean...but, again, that leaves room for tremendous variation in quality.

Browsing through the online diamond sellers'' inventory, I feel pretty overwhelmed. I know I''ll have to go look at diamonds of varying quality and size to get a feel for what I''ll be comfortable with. Having said that, I think I could really benefit from some direction from the gurus here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In particular, if you happen upon some stones online that you feel would represent a good value in my price range, I''d love it if you''d respond with a link. Also, since I live in Manhattan, do you have any suggestions as to where I should go to compare stones? I realize it''s been a well-covered thread, but any insights on buying from a retailer here in the city versus an online dealer would also be great.

Thanks so much.

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
>3) Like so many other people, we prioritize size over quality. Our social circle is a pretty judgmental bunch, and though we're not flashy, some of our friends and family are.<

I might be reading this wrong, but it looks like you aren't two interested in a huge diamond for yourselves as much as fulfilling the unrealistic expectations of those around you, such as her family who might consider you unfit or cheap.

About a year ago I helped a couple in the same situation. They both wanted to skip the e-ring and buy a house to start having kids immediately. However, they found the social ostracism overwhelming - mothers outraged, friends telling her to leave the guy, etc.
Like you, they also felt pressed into spending thier entire nest egg to start out life with on the ring, mainly so the mothers could brag, and to get the acceptance of each others friends.

I wound up setting a synthetic stone worth only a few hundred dollars into the most trendy and expensive platinum setting available. (and faked an appraisal that wouldn't fool anyone but a mother-in-law)
11.gif

The mothers were thrilled, friends could find other reasons to gossip, and the couple could get on with life.
They both take very much joy in thier little secret, as I see them occasionally when it needs polishing. They want to upgrade to a real stone, but when THEY feel they can afford it.

They have an entire life to live, but the ring only held interest for everyone pressing them to buy it for a month.

Think about it. Buy a diamond for yourselves, not everyone around you. They seem to want it more than you, but who has to pay for it, possibly with your future?

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
I concur. If you really are in the market for a good stone with size as a priority, a well cut H-J SI2 sounds like a great place to start. What type of metal is it going into?

jbernste

Rough_Rock
The setting will be either white gold or platinum.

In comparing a retailer here in NY over one online, I take it one of the big advantages of an online seller is that one doesn't have to pay sales tax? That's a pretty hefty consideration since tax in NY is 8.25%...

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
True, I see what you mean about taxes. Remember, only two things are guaranteed in life . . .
1.gif

I met a jeweler on the train home for Thanksgiving (it was really fun . . . we talked for about two hours before he mentioned what kind of a store it was he owned -- a jewelry store!) who lamented that he lost business to internet vendors because he couldn't sell stones without taxes. That did make me think . . . we would never buy a car online hoping to avoid taxes, etc.

That said, I guess the NY taxes would apply, but that 2.12 J SI2 looks amazing! You already know that it is eye clean from the top and that it faces up whiter than "J." It got a 9.8 on the ISee2 and three triple highs on the brilliance scope. Basically it will be the most spectacular 2 carat diamond you could get for $11K. I might pass out from the thought of it.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings J,

If you hop on the LIRR we'll be more than happy to help. As I was reading this thread I was wondering if you caught that new 2.12ct we just scanned in.

Regards,

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
how nice of jonathan! i would definitely take him up on that offer!

my boyfriend is from long island, so i had to ask what the LIRR was..Long Island Railroad. that would make my day to go to jonathan's store the next time we visit my boyfriend's parents...
1.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
if you are planning on using white metals,I would suggest not going below an I color G.I.A certified.Lower colors tend to have a tinge of yellow when mounted in white metals,especially in other than g.i.a/ags certified stones
Oh yes,vendors/stores that are not in your state aren't required to charge you the sales tax.

jbernste

Rough_Rock
Rhino, thanks so much for your reply! I'd really like to make a trip out to Massapequa and discuss diamonds with you. That 2.12 ct stone really sounds like a stunner...it's just a touch more than I'd wanted to spend, though. Most importantly for me now is to see and compare diamonds. Will I really be happy with an J, SI2, even a near-perfect one? The only way to know is to compare it with other ones...

jbernste

Rough_Rock
Looks like the 2.12ct J, SI2 stone at GOG we'd been talking about has already been sold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results