shape
carat
color
clarity

re-sizing - probably a dumb question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi - I know this question has been asked to death, but I am a newbie to the diamond world, and am still unclear about the diamond ring re-sizing process.

I own a very slim band diamond engagement ring with a 0.16 round brilliant diamond (small, I know, but I do love it and the person who gave it to me).

I need to get it resized larger. I have already done it once, but it still feels a little too uncomfortable in the mornings. I know that women''s fingers do sometimes swell, but I''d still like to get it larger by half a size.

As it''s a very slim band (0.2CM at its thickest underside then it tapers off near the diamond - told you I was a novice!), I was wondering, when a ring is resized, do they mold the existing band and thin it out to enlarge it?

Dumb question, but there you have it.

Thanks

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
You should not feel bad about asking questions, we can not even see you to make faces!
If you need the ring sized up, the normal process is to cut the bottom of the ring and add a piece of gold that is the same quality and thickness to your ring. If done well, you will not notice where it is done. If sizing down, you cut a small piece out and weld or solder the ring back together. Like cutting hair or cooking dinner, it can be done well, average, or poorly. Price should be fairly similar from store to store as that is a simple one. If there is no goldsmith in the store, I would try another store. If it is done well, at least you have a chance to talk to the person that did it. If you take it to the places who save time by pounding it till it is larger but thinner, you will notice it right away. Asking usually weeds out the bad ones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results