shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant - Comments Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

talo

Rough_Rock
I incorrectly posted this in the wrong forum, newbie mistake.

Here are the specs that I took with me:
Depth: 72.6%
Table%: 58.00%
1.28ct
Polish: V Good
Symmetry: V Good
Fluorescence: None

Color: F
VVS1

Was told it was an "ideal" cut. It looked amazing and seemed to have more fire and brilliance than some of the others we looked at. Side by side with a similar spec Princess cut there simply was no comparison. The price is $7100 but I have some concerns about the cut based on what I read here. I know part of this process is coming to some compromise, but am I compromising incorrectly if the cut is way off?

Thanks!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm, I'm certainly no radiant expert (or any expert for that matter!) but here's my take...radiant experts, please correct me:

#1) I don't like it when vendors tell you a fancy shape is "ideal"...when there really is no "ideal"...Did he offer you any light scope or B Scope results?

#2) According to the GemAppraisers chart, that stone is very deep for a radiant, and the table is very small....
I would be curious as to the measurments of the stone....With that depth, it probably (not sure b/c of the table) faces up like a 1 carat radiant.....You are paying a good price for a 1.2+ F vvs1 radiant...but too much for a 1.0 F vvs1 radiant...which is probably your stone will look like...Can we have the mm measurements?

#3) U sure you want a vvs1? I'm all for totally eye clean and I have clarity issues, but you could go to a larger stone (if you wanted one) or a better cut by going down to a vs1 or vs2....A vvs1 to me is over kill....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert on Radiant and Princess cuts but I do know the two have very different looks. The only similarity is that they are both squares. To compare one to the other is not a comparison at all. It is like comparing a emerald cut to a round brilliant cut.

The second thing is that there are no "ideal" cuts for fancy shapes (non-rounds). This is the main reason I chose to purchase a RB for a pendant and a Jubilee for a ring instead of an Emerald cut. The only way to gauge its performance is to get an Idealscope picture AND a BrillianceScope reading if available.

Some people like F colour, others think G and H is very white/colourless . The colour does not affect the sparkle. A good cut does.

Personally I would not buy a VVS1. As MMM said, it is an overkill. I have eagle eyes for clarity and love to inspect my rocks an inch away from every angle because even a tiny dot bothers me. Even so, a VS satisfies my eyes. There is no need to pay a premium for a VVS stone that even an expert Gemologist will have a hard time finding with a 10x loupe.

talo

Rough_Rock
I was not looking for VVS1, it was just the calrity of the one I was shown. I did not get the mm from the dealer unfortunately and as I looked over the GIA charts and did not note the mm. How much does that come into play?

talo

Rough_Rock
Here are the dimensions for the 1.28 i listed above:
6.61 5.84 and 4.24
Any thoughts on this?

I have also been shown another Radiant that looked fantastic:
1.54c
G color
VS1
Polish-Ex
Sym-Good
Table 76
Depth 71.3
6.57 6.47 4.61
no flour
With plat. setting and tax
Thoughts on this one?

talo

Rough_Rock
Both diamond dealers offered the lucida setting in platinum for $550. With the 1.28, he could use a slightly thinner band which I thought looked great.

Did anyone have a comment on the dimensions for the 1.28 (6.61 5.84 and 4.24)? Im trying to understand what I should be looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results