shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
When sorting bunches of melee to match stones for a band, is it common to check for flourescense? Should all the stones selected either have, or not have, flourescence in order for the melee to match more perfectly?

When having an independent appraisal performed, should the appraiser normally check for flourescence?

I am asking because, although I have had my ring for 2 months, the other day I finally saw my ring in UV light. My center stone has flourescence, which I actually don''t mind, although it was not mentioned at all on my IGI cert so I assumed it had none. My problem is that about 15 of my 46 channel-set stones have flourescence, some much more than others. This bothers me because there is no rhyme or reason to it. They are 1 here and 2 there, etc., so it looks quite odd. Some are quite faintly flourescent and others are quite vivid. I am no longer a "party girl" so I will rarely find myself at a club with black lights, but it will bother me if I do find myself in a situation where the flourescence is obvious.

My appraiser didn''t mention flourescence, so I assume he did not check for it. Should he have checked?

Is this something that should have been disclosed to me by the jeweler upon purchase of the ring setting? Would the jeweler have even checked and/or known about the flourescense?

Also, is all flourescense blue? One of the stones looked yellow in the UV light but looks perfectly white in normal light. Is there yellow flourescence?

Thanks in advance for trying to answer all my questions.
21.gif

thorndor

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m new here. So, I don''t know about the whole appraisal business, yet. But I do remember reading that flourescence can be blue, yellow, or white (I think.) Maybe someone more knowledgable can tackle your other quesitons.

-Richard

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
NL,

About 1/3 of gem quality diamonds have some color/intensity of fluorescence, and over 90% of fluor. stones will be blue color. Fluor. can be just about any color, but besides blue, there can be green, yellow, orange, etc. and combinations thereof which will show up in the other 10%.

The melee were probably not checked, but the larger stone should have been, and if greater than faint, especially if not blue, should have been noted on the cert.

The grading labs, including GIA, are pretty lax about the low end fluor in indicating it. I think this is in part because it is not a grading, but a descriptive property of the stone.

An appriaser may or may not have checked all the stones for fluor, but one with his/her head in the game would do it as a matter of routine.

I hope you aren't too concerned by it, because the only way out is to exchange out the stones, or trade in the whole piece.

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
Hey there, I''m new here too but I have actually researched this a bit. There are several colors of fluorescence, blue being the most preferable one. I can''t help with anything else. Good luck...Sit tight and I''m sure you''ll get some good advice. If you type in fluorescence in the search box you should get lots of threads about it.

pepperpower

Rough_Rock
My gemologist appraised my stone (certified by AGS as having inert fluorescence) to be showing ''very weak purple fluorescence''...so I was certainly surprised there ---- though pleasantly so, due to some affinity for that colour
2.gif
. But mine is probably too weak to matter much... yet I can''t help but wonder this : What do the different colours of fluorescence, if strong enough, imply for the look of the stone?

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2005 11:20:14 PM
Author: DiamondExpert

The melee were probably not checked, but the larger stone should have been, and if greater than faint, especially if not blue, should have been noted on the cert.

An appriaser may or may not have checked all the stones for fluor, but one with his/her head in the game would do it as a matter of routine.

How would you define faint? My larger diamond is less flourescent than some of the melee, but still noticeably light blue under the UV of the tanning bed. Somwhat like an aquamarine. This one comes close to the color of my center stone''s flourescense.
609.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results