shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Dave Atlas & Rich Sherwood

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
For those of you who had seen my previous posts, I am happy to report that I have bought the 2.26 H VVS2 for $19,500 by credit card. Waiting for its arrival tomorrow. Many thanks to all of you who had helped me!
rodent.gif

Details of the stone: Round Hearts & Arrows 2.26 H VVS2, 8.52 - 8.58 x 5.13, AGS Cert. Triple Ideal, AGS 0, Depth 59.9%, Table 57%, Crown 34.5 (14.8%), Pavillion 40.6 (42.5%), Culet Pointed (0.4%), Griddle 0.7 - 1.4%, Fluorescence Faint.

Dave and Rich, could you please tell me what do you think of this stone? I am very concerned on its light return/leakage and brilliance. I''d be so grateful if you may shed some lights on it!
21.gif

I have educated myself through all available resources that I found myself becoming a perfectionist on diamond cuts and appearance. That''s why I kept questioning myself whether I spend the money wisely to get an absolute beauty. In that way I made myself worry too much. There sure are stones prettier than mine when size/color/clarity are the same. However, will I be able to tell the difference if they aren''t compared side by side?

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

One more question that is off the topic here - a reputable appraiser I spoke with pointed out an interesting observation to me - why would some vendors choose to get an GIA cert on their stones and then provide Sarin results on the same stones to show that they are AGS0 in cut? Why don’t they get an AGS cert directly that will provide lots of cut data? He speculated that was because the stones would have been AGS1 if they were send to AGS and the Sarin results have been ‘pre-programmed’ to show AGS0.Is that true?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The price looks fine. The stone should be beautiful. It could well be that a GIA paper with an AGS 0 Sarin report might well prove out to be an AGS 1 if sent to the AGSL lab. One can't assume such to be the case, but it is absolutely "possible". I think it is probably a lot less evil or mysterious, but I could be incorrect.

Some dealers really prefer GIA papers to the AGSL. TRADTION!! TO each their own, I suppose.

ENJOY IT..

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....I'd suggest that some of this is "marketing", too.

The average "man-on-the-street" knows who GIA is......he's less likely to know who AGS is. That average consumer will look specifically for GIA stones, so that might be one reason a vendor would get GIA paper in the first place and then get a Sarin for the more cut-focused.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Ying,

Here are 2 possibilities out of thousands that you could possibly have. It's hard to say without specifically knowing the details on the minor facets. Both of these examples are using the numbers you've provided. I took the liberty of using 55% stars. This first example is with a lower girdle height of 76%

/idealbb/files/ying01.gif

This 2nd example are the same basic Sarin measurements, 55% stars and 81% lower girdle height.

/idealbb/files/ying02.gif

From the Sarin measurements it can safely be said that the stone has good reflective/refractive properties. It would be impossible to assess the seperate components of fire, scintillation and brilliance in direct/diffuse light conditions & optical symmetry without an physical analysis of the stone. Congrats to you on your decision!

Peace,
Rhino

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all messages!
21.gif

The store I bought it from has an OGI Mega Scope but their software is in the old version so I can only get the same stats as they are on the AGS cert. I told them about the upgrade that will give details on minor facet, they said they will look into it. I am in VA/DC/MD area. Is there anybody you know in my area who can help me to get a reading on the minor facets? I am not comfortable shipping this stone and I don't have enough time to ship it out (I have only till 1/30 for full refund). Maybe I should drive to NYC to see you Rhino
tongue.gif
but my husband will call me crazy since I am happen to be over-five-month pregnant!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hrm... as much as I'd like to help you may want to contact Sarin (www.sarin.com) and see if there are any gemologists with the Sarin DiaVision setup or OGI Technologies (www.ogisystems.com) to see if anyone in that area has their new 3d Scope setup. With Sarin I have the files to be able to show all minor facet cutting right online (an addition we'll be adding is an organized online report showing all minor facet measurements, minimum, maximum and average on stars, uppergirdles & lower girdles). Knowledge of these facets and their effects on light return help fill in the gaps to better understand the performance of the stone in question.

Peace,

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Looks like you picked a winner, Yingh! Wear it in good health for many years to come. And pre-Congrats on the new baby as well!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results